Chilihook

Fox Restoration

I have looked high and low for an F parts tree, or specifically part F1 or F2. The carrier for the front axel to be precise. The one for my left front wheel was destroyed by the previous owner's less than stellar driving. It is irrepairable as it is in several pieces. Any help locating one of these, or if you have one that you are willing to part with, I would be happy to compensate you for your help and trouble.

The rest of the resto is coming along well, the left 1/2 of the gear case was pretty well cracked, but I have a spare D tree on its way from GB. Expensive little ******...

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Mike

I have looked high and low for an F parts tree, or specifically part F1 or F2. The carrier for the front axel to be precise. The one for my left front wheel was destroyed by the previous owner's less than stellar driving. It is irrepairable as it is in several pieces. Any help locating one of these, or if you have one that you are willing to part with, I would be happy to compensate you for your help and trouble.

The rest of the resto is coming along well, the left 1/2 of the gear case was pretty well cracked, but I have a spare D tree on its way from GB. Expensive little ******...

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Mike

Believe it or not, the F-Parts tree for the Fox is still available from Tamiya USA. Here is the link to order the parts: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcpss.php...p;x=69&y=15

Believe it or not, the F-Parts tree for the Fox is still available from Tamiya USA. Here is the link to order the parts: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcpss.php...p;x=69&y=15

I had seen that before, but never clicked on it figuring that it was well out of stock. Well, I called Tamiya to see if they still had them. And they DID! Thanks for the extra oomph to get me to call!

I had seen that before, but never clicked on it figuring that it was well out of stock. Well, I called Tamiya to see if they still had them. And they DID! Thanks for the extra oomph to get me to call!

No problem. I ordered one of these part trees from Tamiya as a spare a while back. Nothing better than -new in bag- :)

Just thought you might want to see some disassembly pics.

Always scary to see thi many parts scattered about! :blink:

IMG_3181.JPG.598dac650c640de50dea959f60e889e0.JPG

The main plastic chassis and gearbox pieces drying from a good cleaning.

IMG_3185.JPG.fb196f74ab9b569e57ea28da492e1fdd.JPG

I'll post more when the parts I ordered arrive.

Edited by Chilihook
bad photobucket links

Just thought you might want to see some disassembly pics.

Always scary to see thi many parts scattered about! :blink:

IMG_3181.jpg

The main plastic chassis and gearbox pieces drying from a good cleaning.

IMG_3185.jpg

I'll post more when the parts I ordered arrive.

Looks like it's going to be a great restore :wub: Looking forward to seeing the finished product..

Work has been going a little slowly, but it is going... During the reassembly, I realized that a lot of little things were missing. I have them all on order or have picked up the screws I've needed from the LHS.

More to come...

Here are a few pictures of the reassembly. If I had been on the ball, I would have gotten some more when I had the thing in greater disarray... Anyway, here we go:

Here's the cracked gear case. Cracks are on the upper and lower right side.

DSCF3559.JPG.1c853b384b6f5f78bfba3894f0261e65.JPG

Broken hubs

DSCF3572.JPG.a2731e97975cb8809d37c5b16567ee3e.JPG

New hub

DSCF3567.JPG.3ce45e81a2ecffbbd63d7232907c54b6.JPG

Wheels are in sort of rough shape. As I was taking the tires off to clean them, the gold was flaking off in my hands.

DSCF3571.JPG.2192afe92647e8c72a3d9c035fcf11e3.JPGDSCF3564.JPG.fe2fa64dd626c6b9b4cf76a297f3d2ca.JPGDSCF3562.JPG.2e87d421144f7b39c7682c4dcbfbabff.JPG

Screws were missing in these locations (black screws)...

DSCF3570.JPG.45221c7c64d4cb557f488fa534a1c5c3.JPGDSCF3569.JPG.b7cb4cc642d6f511008154e584ae7c2c.JPG

Gear case, shock and rear end.

DSCF3577.JPG.ad77532b9b49a40e30e0737c2b95c2bc.JPG

Nice view!

DSCF3580.JPG.1a515b7296c5e08adc90b299bfe884e3.JPG

Have the wing for it, just needs paint.

DSCF3586.JPG.3b75bd90ea9631d0f87ab5ba07a2e4c3.JPGDSCF3584.JPG.193353899398c5abe7ebdb842703d736.JPG5a553a8c1f589_DSCF3583(1).JPG.dc22bf7e8e120190f1df4544b1d13fe0.JPG

The good side...

DSCF3581.thumb.JPG.43aa3719143fc9e2250bcd3408fe0d58.JPG

The reason why I'm waiting for the F tree...

DSCF3582.thumb.JPG.984a2a571341afbc626a24b448f503bf.JPG

Well, that's it for now... I am going to strip off the decals and replace them, but I am thinking of repainting the body a different color. I was inspired by a yellow one that was on the front page of the last week, so we'll so what happens.

BTW, EasyOff oven cleaner is the best way to go cleaning old paint off of lexan?

Edited by Chilihook
bad photobucket links

BTW, EasyOff oven cleaner is the best way to go cleaning old paint off of lexan?
DO NOT put oven cleaner or brake fluid anywhere near a lexan body - it's the fastest way to turn it into a pile of small pieces of plastic. The best way is to use nitro fuel, the more nitro content the better. It might be slow but it's the only chemical that will remove paint and is guaranteed to not harm the lexan.

DO NOT put oven cleaner or brake fluid anywhere near a lexan body - it's the fastest way to turn it into a pile of small pieces of plastic. The best way is to use nitro fuel, the more nitro content the better. It might be slow but it's the only chemical that will remove paint and is guaranteed to not harm the lexan.

Thank you VERY much for that heads up!

I have decided that waiting for parts to arrive stinks.

On the way are:

F parts tree

Antenna

Stickers: I might have more of these if any other Fox owners are interested... I'll post here if I do before they go on the 'bay.

Sport tuned motor

ESC

Maybe by Friday I'll see something...

Cross antenna off the list! Figures... the part from farthest away (HK) arrives first. :-)

Picked up the decals I had made at the printer's today. I have to say I am a little disappointed with the results. The grey color is a bit on the green side and the pixelation of the image is a bit rough about the finer lines, but everything is readable. They will be fine for a runner body and most won't notice they aren't OEM.

I have an extra set if anyone might be interested. They are on quality vinyl, and are water and fade proof. PM me if you're interested.

Well, progress has slowed for a little bit... I am waiting for some more parts to arrive. Things have gone in good order, the decals I have were not worth the $$$, so I am still on the hunt for a set of those or will try to somehow make my own but with better results.

After these parts arrive, I'll post pics. And then the hunt is on for a transmitter. The one I have does not indicate that it is powering up.

Project Fox keeps on rollin'!

Parts arrived earlier this week, courtesy of Mike30 in Australia. Time has been in short supply lately and I have not been able to get them on the car yet, but will hopefully before the week's out. A pic or two at least will be coming soon.

There are:

- A set of wheels in MUCH better shape than the ones I had originally... I think these will be set aside to go with some new tires in the future. Wouldn't want 'em to get dinged up and all when I have another set perfectly good for the backyard! :D

- Bumper, front ARB, nerf bars, underbody chassis parts still on their trees, upper and lower suspension parts and more that escape my addled mind at the moment...

Big, BIG thanks to Mike30 for making these parts available to me to help get my Fox looking it's best! This is the coolest and best thing about forums like these -- people helping out other people (from the other side of the globe!) all in the name of fun.

Just awesome!

Pics of the parts that came from down under!

DSCF3680.JPG.14983cd888cd27f8feef4b50b6face67.JPGDSCF3679.JPG.317592f6bce0a76cde451b1f73d839ce.JPGDSCF3678.JPG.3d8ed5fd30804dc7e7031c7dd5e23088.JPGDSCF3677.JPG.b5d1fdc39d2eef18213f8697acf18f4d.JPG

Edited by Chilihook
bad photobucket links

Hi Mike, thanks for the kind words, cant wait to see your fox finished. It makes me very happy to help out! Mike is right, thats what these clubs are all about.

Mike30.

Time has not been on my side of late and I haven't been able to get to putting on my new parts yet. I did however, go out and pick up a radio which was the last piece of the puzzle, so at least now I have it all (esc and radio) to put in. When I get the time. *sigh*

Man, Where was I during all this. I must pay more attention to the forums if I am going to be able to see real progress on building stuff. I don't know if you have seen my Building a Fox entry from way back, but it showed how I built my Fox. I have a new pair of rear tires waiting on PERFECT Gold rear rims like yours. I don't want to be rude, but I don't suppose I could trade my set of rear wheels with near new tires for your rims??? I also have some Fox spares around and found that Tamiya USA still had some bits. I have a scan of the Fox decals going to my sticker friend, but he is busy with racing season so he said April would be the start of his time with the scan. His decals are AWESOME and are even cut if you like them to be. Keep going on the Fox, it is fun to drive and I can't wait to get my runner back on the road after I finish damage control and cleaning.

Finally. The Fox can officially be called a runner.

IT LIVES.

The back yard is a wee bit of a mess with sticks and pine cones from the winter, sorry about that. Pics below.

DSCF3718.JPG.c880d0ba8e33a6badd3fa6348bd844f5.JPGDSCF3717.JPG.18e1ffd924455877ad19c7a9144e8239.JPGDSCF3716.JPG.1c504fd20bd85252b0ed2515e48e3478.JPGDSCF3715.JPG.a4ec0d2d2dc8428205cdaf1bc14cfac3.JPGDSCF3713.JPG.14e5a12233c628cb518f71508d7f6a32.JPGDSCF3712.JPG.2c385e2ede4467981ef617d1e388c2f7.JPGDSCF3711.JPG.37ae3354f0d5265be84d734298ebba39.JPGDSCF3710.JPG.023ff09d2e89ddf5717ea0054f8330fa.JPGDSCF3709.JPG.9e63797c0d37cf5009156e63dc268ecc.JPG

The car rips around really well with the black can and esc. The Tamiya speed control has a little bit of difficulty engaging reverse and battery life is limited (NiCad battery) but WHEEEEEEEE doggy!! It sure feels good to see it running around as it was meant to.

Thanks again to Mike30 for the parts (the wheels are being saved for a new set of tires) and to all of you guys who stopped by to take a look at the progress or lack thereof.

The wing remains unpainted and the body is as it was. When I get better decals and strip the body of it's old paint, I'll start another thread for it.

Now, on to the Blackfoot!

DSCF3709.JPG

Edited by Chilihook
bad photobucket links

**** that looks like new! wish mine was like that! having difficulty getting stuff like that for mine, but i'm all on for a complete resto soon!

good stuff mate, an inspiration to us all!

what a fine looking fox. glad to see it up and running again, and thanks for the build photos / updates. restoration threads are always a treat. gives us all motivation to fix that broken model instead of sticking it in a box and forgetting about it.