Sign in to follow this  
blitzer621

Battery Life Cycle

I was wondering what is the life span of a standard battery pack. I have a team orion v-max super duty 2400 mah. Its only a few months old.I run it completely dead,let it cool off, and then recharge(if I am going to take it out again), I have a 15 min charger w/ trickle. I follow the instruction on the back of the battery.So the question is how many years will a battery pack last.

No one can answer that as there are hundreds of things that affect battery life. On one hand I know racers who've managed about 20 cycles out of IB4200s, at the other end of the scale I'm still racing with 15 year old 1400s, due to them being properly stored by their previous owner. Officially you should get on average between 500-1000 cycles out of the battery depending on how it's looked after.

The first bit of advice to get the most out of a battery pack is to use a proper peak charger. Your 15 minute charger can need to run up to 5-6 times to fully charge the battery, and being a timer charger it won't have a peak detect circuit to make sure you don't under or over charge the pack, both of which effect it's life (especially overcharging it!)