Sign in to follow this  
Boba Fett

1:14 Trucks 2/4 Channels

I'm thinking about getting one of these - most likely the King Hauler. The write up's on them say that they can use either a 2 or 4 channel receiver. What are the benefits of the extra channels? From what I can make out, one of them can control the 3-speed 'box, but i cant figure out what the fourth channel would do? Also, am i right in thinking that with only 2 channels the 'box is 'stuck' in one gear? If so which one? does it matter?

I'm trying to figure out if I should get a 4 channel Tx straight out, or start with the 2 channel one I already have and 'develop' the truck over time?

As you can probably tell - any thoughts/opinions/advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

>From what I can make out, one of them can control the 3-speed 'box,

Correct.

>but i cant figure out what the fourth channel would do?

These are the 'Special Functions' of the Horn and the alternative special function of the "Coupler Switching / Motorised Support Legs" (uncouples the trailer). These are 2 modes on the same 4th channel that are mutually exclusive and are swapped between by using the mechanical trims on the TX in special positions, in conjunction with the Tamiya #56511 MFU. That is why you have to use a TX with mechanical ratchet trims like the Futaba T4VWD (AM) (the one I have) or the Futaba Field Force 6XS (FM) (the one that I have coming from my LHS next week) since I have been having some reception problems indoors near large metal objects (fridge, cooker) on AM radio sets, that's why I have decided to go with FM from now on. See my showroom entries on my MFU and my entry for my truck and my other entries on my radio sets for more info.

>Also, am i right in thinking that with only 2 channels the 'box is 'stuck' in one gear?

Yes.

>If so which one? does it matter?

Any. You can choose gear 1,2, or 3.

>I'm trying to figure out if I should get a 4 channel Tx straight out, or start with the >2 channel one I already have and 'develop' the truck over time?

My personal opinion;- Get the MFU, a Field Force 6XS, some custom CNC cut steering and gear shift gates for the Field Force 6XS from TamiyaClub member ant88 for a very good price (he's a nice chap) and you will have a nice cheap computerised TX radio set, no interference problems, a known working setup (ant88 has a Merc 1838 like I do) and get a trailer, the trailer light set, motorised support legs, and get building! It's loads of fun, and there is plenty of help here from like minded club members for you if you do decide to join our "TRUCKING CLAN" [;)]

Have a look at;-

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...=27672&sid=2965

Only problem with the Trucks is cost. Have a good long think about it. But it's worth it, believe me!

Actually I do not think that the trucks are expensive at all, they are a bargain price. There are loads of beautiful chromed plastic and huge loads of lovely CNC cut metal parts in the kits, they are of the most dreamy unbelievable quality.

The box arts are incredible, they look awesome in person when built, they are huge and detailed and wonderful, I LOVE THEM.

GO TAMIYA!! This is the Golden Age for Tamiya as far as their trucks go. Wake up and take notice everybody, TAMIYA TRUCKS RULE [8D] Tamiya's trucks must surely be their best ever kits, true modern classics and up there with the Sand Scorchers (Mmmmn [:P]) and the Mountaineer and the Top Force Evolution and the Pajero Metaltop Wide[:P][:P][:D]

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Stop it, stop it, your making my mouth water, I have coveted the Tamiya Trucks since they were released. I agree, nothing can compare to the unbelievable detail Tamiya put into these things. I am 30 years old now and my wife laughs at me and my R/C cars, I have 5 but want more. I live in Sydney Australia and the cost to buy one of these trucks with a trailer and all the options (mfu etc, etc) would take the price to over $2000.00, I just can't raise that kind of dough to buy an R/C car (toy according to my wife, yes I have shown her the Tamiya slogan, Toys There Not!) Anyway I have settled to fullfill a childhood dream and ordered a Super Clodbuster, all I wanted in my early years was a Clodbuster and I am finally getting one. The last 3 Tamiya kits I have bought in Hong Kong will on work trips, at less than half the price in Sydney!

Not to take away from this topic, the trucks are sweet and one day I will get one (when I return to Hong Kong).

A big thanks to Live Steam Mad for giving me a glimpse of the enjoyment they can bring.

Cheers, Dan

R/C is my favourite

Pagedm,

In Hong Kong,

TLT-1 costs me US130,

MFU costs me US220,

King hauler (car only) costs me US220,

Manmmoth Dump Truck costs me US190.

And each ball bearing costs about US0.8

Is plastic model really so expensive (double the above price) overseas?

If yes, why not people simply buy in Hong Kong and mail it

back to your country?

Best Regard. Terence Ho

Not a cheap way of doing it by the time you have paid for a holiday in hong kong[?]

thats why they invented webshops & ebay and paypal [:D]

if you check out one of our site sponsors, stellamodels, you have

hong kong prices and don't have to hop on a plane to buy

them there.

Long Live The Internet, All Hails To The Internet [:P]

Stefan

Yes, all good points and the internet has certainly done a lot for giving us better prices. I have travelled to Hong Kong for work 5 times in the last two years and it has all been payed by my employer so that is why buying kits in Hong Kong has worked out to be a good deal for me.

Back to the original topic of this post, Boba Fett I think if you can squees your budget a little further and get a 4 channel radio with your truck at least then you could enjoy the 3-speed tranny from the start.

Just out of interest, do the 1/18th Tamiya trucks come with bearings as standard? or are they extra like most other kits?

Daniel

R/C is my favourite

quote:Originally posted by pagedm

Just out of interest, do the 1/18th Tamiya trucks come with bearings as standard? or are they extra like most other kits?

id="quote">id="quote">

The [1/14th scale] Tractor Trucks come as standard with Metal (sintered phosphor bronze I presume to give a maximum oil-retaining surface) bearings (not ballraces), as I found out when I built the Merc 1838 a couple of weeks ago.

Actually I ditched them all in favour of stainless steel metal shielded ball races (my usual preferred choice for zero maintenance (!) - I am the "fit and forget" type!).

I wanted to maintain as much momentumn as possible for scale-like operation, hence the need for free running bearings (NOT rubber shielded). Even though the Tractor unit is 3 Kg roughly once you have added a 7.2V drive motor battery pack to it, it has like a 32.5 : 1 gear reduction in first gear which gives a huge engine braking effect. I'm even thinking of fitting lead weights into the Tractor truck...

Actually I think it is maybe an idea to operate it in second gear minimum and use an LRP Truck Puller (80 Turn Single) to keep the speed down ;- "Extremely precise throttle control for driving maneuvers where every millimeter counts. That's no problem for our Truck Puller. Equipped with a special winding and featuring the highest possible torque along with perfectly aligned timing for uniform right-left runs, precise to-scale driving is no longer an issue. In other words, you're going to be right up there with the big guys.

Order No. | Voltage in V | RPM | Recommended Gear Ratio

57360 | for 7,2 | 6500 | original

57460 | for 12 | 6100 | original"

...since the stock motor (17,500 RPM) is 3 x faster than the LRP Truck Puller, so with the LRP motor you could have low speed and lower engine braking effect.

The Tank trailer (still building it, give us a chance [:D]!!) weighs about 4.5 Kg ([:D][:P]) and will provide more operational scale realism in this department as well, from it's large momentumn. Remember to ballrace the trailer as well though!

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Ball bearings can be bought for dirt cheap from walawala on ebay. you would be crazy to not install them.

Jim

I generally don't like to change the topic of someones post but do you think a pair of the truck puller motors would work well in my super clodbuster for just crawling around?

quote:Originally posted by pagedm

I generally don't like to change the topic of someones post but do you think a pair of the truck puller motors would work well in my super clodbuster for just crawling around?

id="quote">id="quote">

Wish I had a Super Clod! Well your Clod with 2 LRP Truck Pullers would go 3 x slower than the stock kit motor flat-out (17,500 VS 6,500 RPM) but the torque would be very large because of the armature effective cross sectional area going up (27 Double to 80 Turn Single).

If you want more torque AND more speed than stock motor then I suppose that I would be trying to fit a Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem and Magnetic Mayhem Reverse (important) to it since these are advanced timed, 22 Turns for greater speed than stock silver can, MM is a 550 sized armature motor, not 540 sized (550 has longer armature for more torque).

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Thanks for all the info, sounds like you really know what your doing, It's good to have guys like you with good no-nonsense advise.

quote:Wish I had a Super Clod!
id="quote">id="quote">

I wish I had a Tamiya 1/14th truck, the Ford Aeromax is my favourite, well anything Ford will do (I was a Ford mechanic for 8 years), I want to get a Juggernaut or Blackfoot body for my Clod.

Anyway, Boba Fett, have you made a decision yet? I wouldn't mind seeing some construction photos of these trucks....

Daniel

Thanks for the link Typhoon, those kits look awesome, makes me consider cancelling my order of the Super Clod and holding out for one of these things, too expensive for me at this stage though.

Daniel

Without a doubt, if your going to get a trailer get the tanker. [8D] I just built mine and all I can say is this is the coolest RC anything I have ever built.

Have Fun