Sign in to follow this  
Devastator

Rising Storm

Hey Guys, i'm new here, hope this is the right section to post in.

Basically I want to upgrade my Rising Storm, pretty much just to go quicker. I'm guessing I'll need to change Speed Controller and Motor from stock to something different for this. I've already changed all the bearings from the plastic ones to some decent metal ones.

Which parts offer the most bang your buck at the minute? Oh and by the way I want easy maintenance, I don't want to have to change bits in my motor all the time.

Thanks in advance!

For trouble free operation (i.e. low/zero maintenance) and lots of horsepower and speed, you simply can't go past a brushless motor system..

The only problem is that it may have to much power for your Rising Storm..

Cheers

Alright cheers. I've seen a Traxxas VXL system on youtube in a rising storm. Do you reckon that'd be worth it or are there other better makes out there?

It all depends on what you want. The best 'bang for your buck' is to buy a cheap low turn brushed motor and a suitable speed controller, but it will need regular maintenance. A brushless system is fairly maintenance free.

For brushless motors, like brushed motors, the lower the number of turns the faster it goes. A brushless 13.5 turn is equivalent to a 27 turn stock motor, the 10.5 is equivalent to a 19 turn motor and the 9.5 turn is equivalent to a 17 turn motor, which is probably pushing the limits of what a Rising Storm can handle and still be drivable.

The Traxxas VXL uses a 10 turn brushless motor, so similar to the 10.5 Nosram motor.

To use one of those motors you will need a suitable speed controller, like this one

As you can figure out the faster the motor the quicker the battery will run out. Upgrading to a bigger capacity battery like the one you have found will give you more run time.

Guest joelvardy

A brushless would be fun in your rising storm I had a 10t brushed motor in mine and it is really fun (drive train can take it) but if you hit anything or had a hard landing you are very likely to break the chassis

Good luck and welcome, Joel

Alright. I'm just about to spend just over 150.. so wanted to be sure, how much of a performance increase would you say it was in % ?

I'm guessing the standard Radio Control(ler) I got with the car will work fine with the new stuff? Or will I need a new one?

Cheers.

Guest joelvardy

all your radio gear will work with your new ESC

You will get better runtimes with brushless than an equivalent brushed motor!

Speed will be pretty emence, mine was!

Great fun, if running on tarmac your tires will be lucky to last one run

Guest joelvardy
Lucky to last one run? Surely its not all gunna break after one go..?

The car should last one run easy but your tires will be bald after one run if you drive on tarmac