markmws

Nib Black Porsche - The Build Begins !

BTW, haven't they plugged you in to recharge yet? What is the uptime of your nuclear power cell?

Paul. :-)

I just found another fuel cell at the back of the fridge behind the plants that the wife keeps trying to make me eat

I'm close to bullet proof now :rolleyes:

And by plants, I assume you mean rocket? A weed, that until Jamie Oliver popped up, most people would have pulled from their paths and thrown away, or at least given a liberal dashing of pathclear. Now we wash it and serve it up, did you know it is more expensive per gram in a restuarant than vintage Tamiya?

Did you know I made up some of the previous sentence?

Paul.

Note to self : Do not mix beer with Tamiyaclub.com

Note to self : Do not mix beer with Tamiyaclub.com

Like I can do this without it :rolleyes:

And by plants, I assume you mean rocket? A weed

Somebody needs to be sorted out for that 'stuff'

Why would anyone ever think dandelion leaves need to be next to a dirty great slab of beef?

And cucumber is the work of the devil too - eat it on a Monday, taste it on a Friday - that's not normal.

I can feel a salad rant coming on, I'm off into town to find cyclists :lol:

Just order a pizza, open a beer and sit down in front of your PC with a tube of lubricant in one hand and.....

HEY!

....Ceramic grease, you dirty minded lot! Lubricate that Tamiya, so the gears don't wear out.

Paul.

(The note was to me! After all the nonsense I put you through, I am pleased you only turned to drink!)

PS : I have noticed that cyclists have a certain 'attitude' in Oxford and other car hating cities. When I was a kid I found the idea novel of having to drive from Buckingham to the outskirts of the biggest local city (Milton Keynes doesn't count, sorry!) and park my car and take a BUS into the middle of the town. Now I just think it is nuts. After all, all pollution comes from badly services English buses. You know what, if you removed all the buses from England, you would reduce our Carbon emissions by 98%.

PPS : I might have made that up too.

OK - I'm back again .

Inspired by Rad's excellent work , I thought it was about time I got some work done on the shell. A holiday in France gave me the opportunity to start the painting process.

Firstly , the shell was sanded to remove all moulding lines , then masked internally to preserve the original black plastic.

P4140935.jpg

All parts were then given 3 or 4 coats of plastic primer , flatted between coats. Note the excellent painting stands!!! :rolleyes:

P4140936.jpg

Next , the colour coats started - 6 in all , again flatted down between coats.

P4140939.jpg

P4200955.jpg

After returning home , the shell was given several coats of lacquer , flatted , polished , then polished some more - till I was happy that I could do no more.

P5060991.jpg

P5060992.jpg

Then , last week , I sent the shell and parts to Rad , for him to work his magic.

That is excellent work.

Paul.

PS (Sheepishly) sorry for hijacking the thread!

Final installment for now - then I'll go away and let Paul carry on about his buses :lol::P

Despite the minor distraction of the birth of his baby daughter Sophie , Rad has again pulled out all the stops , and sent me these pictures last night .............

2008_0522Sophie30010.jpg

2008_0522Sophie30011.jpg

2008_0522Sophie30012.jpg

I'm sure you'll all agree this will look absolutely awesome when the decals are fitted - I really have to decide on the scheme now. :rolleyes:

Finally - congratulations to Rad and his wife on the new addition to their family - I am looking forward to meeting them all , when we meet up in June.

That is excellent work.

Paul.

PS (Sheepishly) sorry for hijacking the thread!

Thanks Paul

PS - don't mention sheep to a Welshman !! :rolleyes:

Buses,vegetables,sheep and a black Porsche...whats more could you ask for!

Nice finish on the body!

Well - better late than never , I finally got around to visiting Rad a couple of weeks ago to collect the finished article. I can't believe it has taken me so long ;)

I first saw the completed car back in June , when we called in on the way to Lemans. The intention was to stop off again on the way back , pick up the car , and take it home.

Unfortunately , due to my own stupidity , (and an excess of Red Wine !! ) I had quite a bad accident on a quad bike - so this didn't happen ;)

Anyway , it's back now , and I couldn't be happier - Rad has done a fantastic job of assembling and detailing the body - here are some photos - though they don't really do it justice - it looks even better in the flesh !!!

P2280636.jpg

P2280631.jpg

P2280637.jpg

P2280646.jpg

P2280648.jpg

P2280649.jpg

P2280650.jpg

I was searching for this thread the other day, I wanted to bump it (and poke you) into some action, but it looks like all is revealed.

Great work Radek and great project Mark, I consider you both my friends and am so pleased to have put you in touch on this project!

Keep well,

Paul.

I was searching for this thread the other day, I wanted to bump it (and poke you) into some action, but it looks like all is revealed.

Great work Radek and great project Mark, I consider you both my friends and am so pleased to have put you in touch on this project!

Keep well,

Paul.

Thanks for those kind words Paul - I had actuallly meant to credit you in my previous post , as the catalyst to this project.

Had we not made contact - my Black 934 would still be hiding in it's box in the storeroom - much better where it is now :blink:

Anyway , whilst I was down with Rad , we decided we really should have a group shot of our 4 genuine Black 934 s together - and there is no better background than Rad's display cabinet.

I would bet it is a long time since there have been 4 of these together at the same time !!!

2009_0217SophEnzoFeb090024.jpg

2009_0217SophEnzoFeb090026.jpg

:-)

Lovely shot there! I had only 3 together at one time, but never more and two were only NIBs, so not the same wow factor as nicely built ones! That is a great line up, actually I didn't realise Radek had more than one black Porsche, he must have been hiding them from me!

Enjoy the cars, they really are too nice and rare to drive now.

Paul.

I just caught up with this one AWESOME car. Seems like sombody just as OCD about a Porsche as myself. Mines a 959 that I have OCD about.

This is NOT the way mr. Tamiya intended it to be... ;)

Grtz Dee.

I think Mr. Tamiya never thought of or considered the products he designed and made will become a collectible item or before ebay came around.

As for the Black Porsche, how difficult would it be for Tamiya to do a re-release other than licensing issue. The XR311 and the Frog, 2 samples I can think of, were close to the original. For those that have the original, would you be upset if Tamiya does do a re-release same as the original?

Thanks for those kind words Paul - I had actuallly meant to credit you in my previous post , as the catalyst to this project.

Had we not made contact - my Black 934 would still be hiding in it's box in the storeroom - much better where it is now ;)

Anyway , whilst I was down with Rad , we decided we really should have a group shot of our 4 genuine Black 934 s together - and there is no better background than Rad's display cabinet.

I would bet it is a long time since there have been 4 of these together at the same time !!!

wow! I thought I had a thing for Tamiya models.

Crikey! Common as muck those things.... look at them all on the shelf there. I'd better get shot of mine before it becomes worthless ;)

Very funny :-)

As for re issues : bring it on, re issues are great, they allow collectors to breathe a sigh of relief that they might one day open and build their precious cars, give countless spares to millions of bashers out there, bring people into the hobby and re-kindle the interest in these incredible icons.

Personally, I don't actually think that re issues affect the price long term of collectable models new in box at least (although new builds etc can be hit). Oh sure, when a bunch of people panic and list 10 Hotshot NIBs the week the news breaks, the law of supply and demand lowers the price temporarily and maybe for a year or two, but originals should always hold value long term. Frankly I couldn't care less if it does lower the value and those that float their hobby on the speculative value of their models are never going to sleep soundly. I only sell a small fraction of my collection when I either lose interest or desperately need space.

So Mr Tamiya, bring on the re issues, take your best shot!

Paul.