Sign in to follow this  
Arms14

What Model Have I Bought?

I have just purchased this......... I took a bit of a gamble and bought this last night (only 7.50) it looks from the wheels much like the old Tamiya Monster Beetle I had many years ago, but as I say only from the wheels, no other details.

This was listed as a "Radio Shack Ford F150 Bigfoot".

an anyone tell me what they think it might actually be, I can't find it anywhere as per the description and I have never heard of Radio Shack as a make.

FordF150Bigfoot.jpg

Radio Shack traded in the UK through Tandy stores nationwide, although they are now no longer. I guess the closest thing these days is Maplin Electronics. I am no expert on their products though I am afraid, haven't a clue what you have but would say with 95% certainty that if you bought it in the UK, it's a ready-to-run toy originally bought from a Tandy store...

This was listed as a "Radio Shack Ford F150 Bigfoot".

an anyone tell me what they think it might actually be, I can't find it anywhere as per the description and I have never heard of Radio Shack as a make.

Radio Shack is a store name like Home Depot or Wal Mart. It sells electrical / electronic parts, radio, stereos, games and RC.

It can will be some RC brand made for Radio Shack and the RC is aim at younger age group.

don't worry about what it is - just gut out the electronics, fit some proper digital proportional RC gear and a brushless setup and turn it into a killer "toy" ;):)

its a kyosho off road tiger - Pretty slow but was my first ever radio control that worked.

The cheque book is out if u are willing to part with it .......

cheers

Ryck

Nope, not Kyosho.

This is a Radio Shack truck. Tandy was another name used by Radio Shack in the 80's, I'm not sure what's accross the pond for them. I had the same truck in blue (I assume a different frequency for different colors) some time in the mid 1980s. If I remember correctly, it had a pretty good 4WD system in it. It made for a nice living room crusher as it wasn't fast, but worked.

It's a Tandy/Radio Shack 4x4 Off-Roader.

I had one of these as a Christmas present in 1987. Yours is missing the front bull bar, though if my experience with it was the norm... it was probably snapped off in a collision with a kerb about 20 years ago. :) Though surprisingly all the lights on the roll bar are intact on yours, they tended to snap off one-by-one every time you'd drive it under a car to avoid the one driving down the road. ;)

If memory serves, Tandy also sold a sister truck for this called the Red Roader, which used the same Ford based body (but in red obviously) with a white camper type shell covering the flat bed, and from what I remember, huge Clodbuster rivaling sized tyres (ok, maybe not quite, but not all that far off) though they're even rarer, because everyone I knew with those, ended up having to take them back because of problems.

I've attached an image from an eBay auction from years ago for one of these trucks, so as to give you and a better idea of what yours actually is.

G

post-1235-1201273797.jpg

Excellent work people! :)

G, superb pic thanks alot for that. I have searched and searched but I am still struggling to find out anything more about this truck. Do you remember if it was customizable? As Mad-Ax says I fancy stripping it and tricking it up a little if possible.

Ryck, sorry buddy, seems this is not the one you were after ;)

lol i think its the same base to be fair, But an interesting project. I have mine still in the loft i think and from memory they where pretty capable and running on 4x C class batteries I ad 3 hrs run time for the family walk :)

Cheers

Ryck

Do you remember if it was customizable?

As it was sold as a "toy grade" truck rather than a hobby-grade RC, I very much doubt that there were any tuning options available for it. They were never designed to be customised, and they're not really in the same league as the hobby-grade stuff by the likes of Tamiya and Kyosho. However, there's no reason why you can't open the case and see what's inside.

These toy-grade models usually have all their electrics soldered onto one PCB which is bolted up inside, but you should be able to rip this out and sling it away, along with the standard motor and whatever steering servo they've used. Bodging in a proper steering servo shouldn't be too hard if you're handy with tools, although a micro-servo designed for Aircraft or 1/18th RCs might be easier to fit. A standard receiver and ESC will stick to the inside no problems. I don't know what type of battery pack these things use, but you might have to run a 1/18th pack or maybe a small LiPo, if you really wanted to get serious.

The motor will probably be way smaller than 540, so your options are:

Hack the casing to accept a 540;

Fit a modern brushed motor of the correct size, e.g. TamTech Gear Sport Tuned;

Fit a brushless motor of the correct size.

HOWEVER - your biggest sticking point when it comes to empowering this thing will be the gearbox. It was designed as a toy, so it won't be strong. It might not be at all happy with modern power plants. Similarly, wheels and axles might not be able to fast running.

The first question that springs to my mind in my case is "Why?" - but of course, if we all went around asking that question when we started projects, we'd never bother with any of it, would we? :)

I have searched and searched but I am still struggling to find out anything more about this truck. Do you remember if it was customizable? As Mad-Ax says I fancy stripping it and tricking it up a little if possible.

I think Mad Ax summed it up well.

From what I can remember it wasn't customisable at all, with no official hop-ups, or at least if they did exists they weren't marketed by Tandy. Indeed there weren't even spares available, and repairs necessitated it being sent off for repair.

A few things spring to mind though when I think back to it... the lack of any suspension meant if was very bouncy. Compared to other RC toys of the time, it was geared for torque (when switched to Lo) a.k.a. it could climb like a monkey. :P and lastly, with some carefully applied insulation tape around the battery compartment, it could float. ;)

Though rather than gutting it, why not set yourself the task of modifying the standard components a'la circuit bending? The extensive use of heavyweight plastic is just begging to be lightened with some strategic drilling and Dremeling... and see if you can increase the performance this way? Though it's obviously ripe for a motor upgrade... ;)

Just a thought. :D