Rambo John J

Motor Upgrades Twin Det/wild Dagger Ect,

Hello Tamiya club!

This is my dilemma, i have a twin detonator (Same chassis as twin dagger) Have upgraded to 20T pinions, Metal bearings, Alloy shocks, Im looking to fit new motors but am a little bedazzled by the choice(2 x 27turn, 1 x 18 turn ect,ect,) and dont know what would fit best for speed and power, i want a motor that would take an ECS if i wanted to upgrade in the future(or do i upgrade it now, if so why?) All advice no matter how trivia would be greatly appreciated and hopefully this thread will help many others.

Drive Hard People . . . . Johnny.

Hi all,

This is my second post on here, with my latest update to my DET! it has already been geared for speed rather than crawling and had full sealed bearings fitted, and now has Ansmann Racing Shocks fitted, these babies only just fit as they lower the vehicle by 10mm and the shocks them selves are 3m wider than the stock shocks, just want u all to know they fit and you can pick these up for around 15 GBP, P.S. anyone know how to wire on a powercap???

You're making a nasty mess on your leather seats! :D

Anyhoo - Can someone confirm that the Twin Detonator's front motor rotates backwards? If this is true then you'll need to modify the timing on any re-timed motor. I'll leave it up to someone else to describe exactly how to do this since I've never done it! I'm only jumping in on this thread 'cos I haven't got around to looking at my Twin Det conversion yet and I want to find out if the front motor does indeed run backwards...

RE: the leather sofa,

The sofa has wiped clean nice and easy, whereas me carpet would have caused me a whole world of pain :D P.S. thanks for the concern!

Anyhow!!! back to motors, Yes one motor does run backward but i have read that if two adjustable motors are fitted and wired as per the originals as long as both are set at zero they will work fine, when adjusting one positive the other must adjust negative and vice versa, motors that are already modified is anybodies guess!

Hi John Rambo.

So basically, you are looking for a good ESC that will handle modified motors when you upgrade?

Btw, nice truck. Love the black and the natural mud splats, looks more offroader.

Im looking to upgrade motors, but maybe i need to upgrade the speed controller aswell!! just not sure why? will the original one handle upgraded motors, what benefit will i get from an ESC?

The truck. . . is all nice and clean now, going to give it an oiling when i get my new hubs!

Are you still using the mechanical speed controller? If yes, you really need to upgrade to ESC. Not just because you want to upgrade to mod motors, but simply it is much more efficient than an MSC. No wasted power going through that ceramic whatchamacallit. All the juice from your battery is regulated by your ESC. The forward and reverse of your TD is much smoother.

Now, if you can still get hold of a novak super rooster (which can handle dual mod motors) that will be great. I wish they didn't discontinued that one. Anyways, the novak super duty is a very nice ESC that can handle mod motors as well. There are some LRPs and Mtronics ESCs available as well.

here's the short answer:

since you're inverting the poles on one motor, you will either need:

-two zero-timed motors or

-reverse the timing on one modified motor in the opposite direction from the other unaltered motor

upgrade from the MSC to an ESC if possible. when choosing an ESC be mindful of the turn limit. as when you wire two motors in parallel the number of turns are halved. For example, two stock 27 turn motors wired in parallel will appear to the ESC as one 13.5 turn motor.

There are some good deals to be had on the MTroniks Super E Truck as it can be had new on the bay for between 30 and if you are unlucky 60. This will handle 14.4V down to 11Turn x 2 540 Motors and is waterproof.

There are some good deals to be had on the MTroniks Super E Truck as it can be had new on the bay for between 30 and if you are unlucky 60. This will handle 14.4V down to 11Turn x 2 540 Motors and is waterproof.

YOU ARE ALL CHICKEN!

fit two mamba max 7700 to it. Make it happen.

"if you can dream it, it will come....."

YOU ARE ALL CHICKEN!

fit two mamba max 7700 to it. Make it happen.

"if you can dream it, it will come....."

Except 1 ESC will overheat quite quickly as it will be running constant reverse (not a good plan really), and you would also need a reversing lead in order to synchronise the 2 ESC's...

Better yet, get the MTronics Truck setup (x2) as it has a full motor reverse function already programmed (for Clods etc) so will allow this to work!

Otherwise I agree!!! :(

Except 1 ESC will overheat quite quickly as it will be running constant reverse (not a good plan really), and you would also need a reversing lead in order to synchronise the 2 ESC's...

Better yet, get the MTronics Truck setup (x2) as it has a full motor reverse function already programmed (for Clods etc) so will allow this to work!

Otherwise I agree!!! :P

see here for two Mamba Max 5700's in a wild dagger

http://www.rckingdom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3457.0

Hello,

i know that i`m pesky but im turnin Insane.

I run a Wild dagger with the Quicrun dual ESC and 2 "Super Stock BZ Motors" on zero Timing.

Today i wanted to set one to positive Timing and the otherone to negative Timing.

Anyhow the Truck ran slower forwards than backwards....

So i changed the polarity on the Motorcables (and reversed the channel on the Transmitter), switched the Cables from the ESC from one Motor to the other, but nothing helped. The Truck was slower in the forward direction.

So i tryed to set positive Timing on the Front Motor and negative Timing on the back Motor....          .....aaaand the Truck is faster forwards and relativly slow backwards.

But that wrong in my opinion. The Back Motor should run forwards an the front Motor should run backwards in my belief.

So here is my Setup:

Wild Dagger

Quicrun 860 Dual ESC

2 x Super Stock BZ Motors 

Yellow ESC Cable to Red Motorcable

Blue ESC Cable to Black Motorcable

@whahooo You do realise that you are replying to a thread that was started over 10 YEARS ago don't you?

Yeah, i know, but i thougt that topic is the best fitting topic for my Question.

In the Forums i normally use it is rude to start a new topic if there is an existing or fitting thread....

If it common to start a new thread even a similar thread exists i want to apologize and i will read the "Forumrules/Terms of Use" for a better behavior in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try this.

Take the front motor out and set it up for the best speed. Then remove the back motor and set the front up. 

When they are both good then stick both motors in and you should be good to go.

Take photos and post results here. 

PS I use silver cans and 3S for an easy life