mini-ac

Thanks Tamiyaclub

Hello

I needed some parts for my wild willy 2, the front and left uprights.

THese are the same as some other tamiya car, king blackfoot for example.

So I called my LHS. I had printed the page of the manual, with the part#, here is how it went

"hi"

"hello"

"do you have the part#### and #### for a tamiya in stock"

"no, but maybe we can order it"

"ok, how long would it take and what is the price"

"I don't know, if the importer has them in stock, about 3 weeks, if they don't, and I think they don't, longer"

"ok, thanks, i'll call back"

open firefox, log on TC.com, click on fusion hobbies link, order the parts, 6 days later, I have them

great job guys

tom4

Rather than, by implication, slag off your LHS for being useless you should realise that your LHS has to go to a useless importer who is only interested in selling as many TT01 kits, XBs, and QDs as it can. Fusion and Time Tunnel are a bit more up on the game and use their noggins as well as the offical importer ;)

You also have to realise that a highstreet model shop may be committed to a minimum order. So, when you want 1 widget for your really ancient buggy, your LHS has to commit to buying 10 with little hope of selling the other 9. I have experienced that. The other scenario they have to suffer is having to tell you that they don't know when, if ever, your part will arrive, and so you go elsewhere.

Edited by TWINSET
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM DISGUISED SWEARING

Rather than, by implication, slag off your LHS for being useless you should realise that your LHS has to go to a useless importer who is only interested in selling as many TT01 kits, XBs, and QDs as it can. Fusion and Time Tunnel are a bit more up on the game and use their noggins as well as the offical importer :D

You also have to realise that a highstreet model shop may be committed to a minimum order. So, when you want 1 widget for your really ancient buggy, your LHS has to commit to buying 10 with little hope of selling the other 9. I have experienced that. The other scenario they have to suffer is having to tell you that they don't know when, if ever, your part will arrive, and so you go elsewhere.

uhm, forgot to mention it already happened, and this for very recent rc vehicles ;)

even for my traxxas stampede (10 months old car), I had to mail order somewhere else in france, just because the hobby shops here in paris either said "we can't" or "we'll call you back"

tom4,it was more a post to thanks TC and fusion than be mean on my lhs

uhm, forgot to mention it already happened, and this for very recent rc vehicles ;)

even for my traxxas stampede (10 months old car), I had to mail order somewhere else in france, just because the hobby shops here in paris either said "we can't" or "we'll call you back"

tom4,it was more a post to thanks TC and fusion than be mean on my lhs

If i lived in Europe i would only run European brands as things are just to screwed up there. But dont feel bad and nobody here in Japan is happy with how hard it is to get other countries stuff. I would love to have some of those Rally bodies from Carson!!!!!

I can't see the problem here with your local shop. They didn't have the specific part, but said they could order it, and even estimated the length of time for delivery. At least they were polite and honest.

I've ordered Tamiya spare parts from my LHS. Yes it took a couple of weeks, but I wasn't in a hurry, and I didn't have to pay postage cost! <_<

Have to admit I really do not look forward to visiting my LHS. Simply because I need to take the car, park it and pay for parking. There is also the time it takes to complete the task. Recently I have also been spending on parts late in the evening, well after any LHS closes. This is not a good thing actually - far too easy to spend money.

I think any LHS that needs to remain competive needs to seriously think if a shopfront is worth the money or if a warehouse better served to keep a larger variety of stock. I recently ordered a part (E) for a WW2. I imagine my LHS would have quoted me both more money and time. I had the item in my hand from Fusionhobbies within 4 days.

Can't beat that service I'm afraid.

Have to admit I really do not look forward to visiting my LHS. Simply because I need to take the car, park it and pay for parking. There is also the time it takes to complete the task. Recently I have also been spending on parts late in the evening, well after any LHS closes. ...

I love going to my local hobby shop. Well, local, he is in the city while I live outside in the country but it is still worth the drive.... BECAUSE

he is a Real Tamiya Fan. He simply loves vintage tamiya and keeps the behind the counter stacked with hundreds of current parts while the wall in the customer area is a full blown tamiya collection to show people what it is all about...

June-Sept07009.jpg

June-Sept07007.jpg

June-Sept07008.jpg

June-Sept07006.jpg

June-Sept07003.jpg

and that is not half of it, just the photos I have at hand. The street window has slot car Goodwood pit display even tho he only sells R/C. He makes a real effort to show passion for the models, not just as $ items. It makes a huge difference, people come in just to hang around the store. And it is a TINY store - 5 customers inside and there is no room to move. There is an attic, and that is full with kits both for sale and more of his collection.

He doesn't mind people coming in an fixing cars using his tools and tiny workbench - when was the last time a shop owner let you do that unsupervised? !

He encourages customers with interesting models to lend them to him for the display cases, will lend out highlifts for you to try indoors at home (you break you buy ;-D ) and generally pushes the hobby out of passion. He organises the Tamiya race series long before he was the importer, and prints up tee shirts for frequent customers making them feel like part of the 'Team' and hounds out local farmers to borrow land and built this track:

Partslot037.jpg

SO - I belive a LHS can still make money and be a place to visit and enjoy but it needs a friendly and Passionate owner, who makes the effort. He recognises the speed factor and orders from HK himself. Because of all this alot of people are prepared to wait a little for parts to support his business.

But it has to be touchy-feely and make you want to hang around and discuss things and read catalogues. He keeps a stack of the vintage catalogues at the counter to read thru.

He's recently been rewarded for 7 years of such effort by becoming the official Tamiya importer from this year. Who knows what this will do for the ordering time, but its still a fun place to visit and that makes people come in and buy things.

All hail a passionate LHS ower. It can still be relevant today <_<

Hello

I needed some parts for my wild willy 2, the front and left uprights.

THese are the same as some other tamiya car, king blackfoot for example.

So I called my LHS. I had printed the page of the manual, with the part#, here is how it went

"hi"

"hello"

"do you have the part#### and #### for a tamiya in stock"

"no, but maybe we can order it"

"ok, how long would it take and what is the price"

"I don't know, if the importer has them in stock, about 3 weeks, if they don't, and I think they don't, longer"

"ok, thanks, i'll call back"

open firefox, log on TC.com, click on fusion hobbies link, order the parts, 6 days later, I have them

great job guys

tom4

It's much easier at my LHS, they just say "NO" !!!

Mud.

Deepest darkest eastern europe would you believe!

Hungary

Wonder if you can get an Easyjet flight there?!

Wonder if you can get an Easyjet flight there?!

Come watch/join one of the monthly races. Alot of the racers here also race in the EFRA GP races, the most recent was in Prague. Some of them beat this famous Hupo Austrian driver, so not too shabby <_< It's a good bunch and friendly too!

I can't see the problem here with your local shop. They didn't have the specific part, but said they could order it, and even estimated the length of time for delivery. At least they were polite and honest.

I've ordered Tamiya spare parts from my LHS. Yes it took a couple of weeks, but I wasn't in a hurry, and I didn't have to pay postage cost! <_<

i tried twice.

once for a thunder tiger motorcycle part. thay said 2 weeks,Ipaid the part

i waited 2 weeks, 3 weeks, called. part supposed to be there in a week. waited another week. went in holiday, came back 3 weeks later, part was not there.

they did not want to give me my money back, gave me a voucher instead. I went on google.de, order my parts, 3 days :blink:

had about the same with the traxxas parts, except it was there when I came back from holiday, almost. I ordered 2 parts, they had one:)

so now,

1) I call

2) there is 2 options

- it's there, I buy it

- it's not, I order somewhere on the net :blink:

tom4