Chilihook

Blackfoot Tear-down

Since I'm waiting on parts for the Fox I'm working on, I thought I'd start in on the Blackfoot that's been staring at me for a few weeks. These are just the preliminary shots of the disassembled truck. I found everything to be in near pristine shape. One thing that was bogging the gear box down was the type of grease the PO used to lube the gears. It is SUPER stick and way too heavy to be used in this application. Other than that, the only damage was to part G1 the rear body mount's cross brace -- it was split in half. An easy fix. The rest is just dusty and in need of a good cleaning.

Take a look.

DSCF3593.JPG.d622acb5d22f2cf8d04cba91fcee5c34.JPGDSCF3591.JPG.15708e6d42785207367a424c3ecc9b48.JPGDSCF3588.JPG.183f9838755eb0b104560a6a267d8a12.JPGDSCF3587.JPG.a316a4a6d083c6d9d71c829cc69fde94.JPG

I also made sure to get replacement wear parts plus the dogbone upgrade as well as the chassis stiffener.

More to come!

Since I'm waiting on parts for the Fox I'm working on, I thought I'd start in on the Blackfoot that's been staring at me for a few weeks. These are just the preliminary shots of the disassembled truck. I found everything to be in near pristine shape. One thing that was bogging the gear box down was the type of grease the PO used to lube the gears. It is SUPER stick and way too heavy to be used in this application. Other than that, the only damage was to part G1 the rear body mount's cross brace -- it was split in half. An easy fix. The rest is just dusty and in need of a good cleaning.

Take a look.

I also made sure to get replacement wear parts plus the dogbone upgrade as well as the chassis stiffener.

More to come!

Looks like your missing the C14 part, but otherwise it's looks good nick,I'm presuming the wheels & tires are just out of shot.

I've got to say though, I'm not a fan of the CRP chassis brace, they do a great job but they aren't pretty. I prefer to buy a Super Blackfoot B-Parts tree and replace the aluminum speed controller stay with the SBF B1 part, and the servo cover with the SBF B10 part, the extra two mount points for the SBF servo cover make it act as a brace for the shock tower, and looks almost stock, once the body is on only the keenest eyes will ever pickup the difference.

I look forward to watching your progress, I'm in the process of dissembling and rebuilding with a few mods a Super-G Grasshopper II, not as complex as Blackfoot but still going to be fun.

I'm presuming the wheels & tires are just out of shot.

Yes, they are. They are in very good shape, I'd say... I'll get a pic up later. Sorry 'bout that!

I spent the better part of the afternoon cleaning and reassembling the Blackfoot. All parts were in very good shape...however, I did replace all the gears in the gearbox and put in new bearings as well. Now I need to go out and get them for the wheel hubs. *sigh*

Anyway, here are some shots of the rebuild. You'll note the new dogbones in lieu of the old hex axles, the CRP chassis stiffener, and Fox large shock collars on the rear shocks to help prevent rear suspension sagging. No radio equipment yet or esc, but they will be coming as soon as the ol' bank account recovers! Any and all comments, pointers, tips, etc. are very welcome!

DSCF3604.JPG.2b53ea7fb0f675eef06c3b3426e23ff7.JPGDSCF3603.JPG.baf9a1e878cdc4d11527e12bdc95ed66.JPGDSCF3602.JPG.e30468205fa87ffaad0b2ef5a3640927.JPGDSCF3601.JPG.d2eafbd16edfddf5b6c54ec33b3e44e7.JPGDSCF3600.JPG.23667bc4ea219bb046ec4aebd452d04a.JPG5a563997f2c16_DSCF3599(1).JPG.6596676115ff03efce71004bbc451b02.JPGDSCF3598.JPG.fdfe1654d176ec068293d88560059821.JPGDSCF3596.JPG.8bb33a45c4d621a19e23bd4bb63a4e0e.JPGDSCF3595.JPG.1ec740653e8289f8cdd81eb5b71bd88b.JPGDSCF3594.JPG.97c74ae29d5456b88086a16db36d50fe.JPG

Edited by Chilihook
bad photobucket links

Looking good!

I think you should add a CRP rear suspension arm support set, as that would complete the hopping up of the rear suspension with stronger parts.

Also, if you don't mind drilling the mounting holes out - use an m3 nut and bolt to attach the rear shocks to the trailing arms, instead of the self tapping screw. the self tapper causes stress to the mounting hole and can break it open, even when the truck is sitting on the shelf!

Great work on the chassis, its looking great :blink:

Thanks for the comments!

Actually, the rear suspension support is on there. In the first couple of pictures it wasn't, but it is toward the end. The change in the rigidity of the truck is really amazing.

Next step is to get some oil-filled shocks for the rear. Even with the spacers in place, it is still very soft and does not fully recover it's stance from being compressed.

Thanks for the comments!

Actually, the rear suspension support is on there. In the first couple of pictures it wasn't, but it is toward the end. The change in the rigidity of the truck is really amazing.

Next step is to get some oil-filled shocks for the rear. Even with the spacers in place, it is still very soft and does not fully recover it's stance from being compressed.

Looks great !! - i rebuilt my Blaster chassis a while back , and after seeing your chassis strengthener set up - i just bought myself one :lol: , so that will go on when i get it . Do you run those rear shafts with no boots on ? or are you going to fit those on later?

Looks great !! - i rebuilt my Blaster chassis a while back , and after seeing your chassis strengthener set up - i just bought myself one :lol: , so that will go on when i get it . Do you run those rear shafts with no boots on ? or are you going to fit those on later?

Thanks for the kind words! The stiffener was pretty straight forward to put together and I think, looks good. You'll like it!

I found that the boots don't fit the diameter of the rear shafts so they wouldn't work. I bought new ones just for that too....

Very nice job, looks close to mine(although I dont have the dogbones). I have a LRP A.I. esc which seems to work ok. I am also using Traxxas Ultra shocks all around(oil filled)...they are about the correct size, but mounting them requires spacers(or whatever you have lying around), the head is bigger and deaper than the OE Blackfoot shocks, but they fit.

The Blackfoot is just waiting for the budget (ahem) to recover a tad for more parts to be ordered. Looking for oil-filled dampers, more bearings, radio equipment and an extra set of tires next. Still gotta find decals (saw a set locally to me on ebay that wound up going for waaaaaay more than I wanted spend) and I'd like another, nicer body for when it's on the shelf.

Sheesh... not too tall an order, huh?

The Blackfoot is just waiting for the budget (ahem) to recover a tad for more parts to be ordered. Looking for oil-filled dampers, more bearings, radio equipment and an extra set of tires next. Still gotta find decals (saw a set locally to me on ebay that wound up going for waaaaaay more than I wanted spend) and I'd like another, nicer body for when it's on the shelf.

Sheesh... not too tall an order, huh?

Oh, how well I know the syndrome!! See: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry255581

BF is KING! :D

Thanks for the kind words! The stiffener was pretty straight forward to put together and I think, looks good. You'll like it!

I found that the boots don't fit the diameter of the rear shafts so they wouldn't work. I bought new ones just for that too....

Fitted up the chassis stiffener - fits well - real solid - i'm happy with it :)

Thanks for sharing the front shock tower support system in place as I have just ordered mine. I even contacted the "new" CRP seller on eBay to see where the front and rear body mounts and the rest of the system was for sale. He said "We have those parts on the back burner, they are not a priority at the moment" WOW, he might need to see how many BF fans are out here before he assumes that he won't sell any. His history on his website says he is rebuilding the CRP of old back up with reintroducing all the great hop ups we knew and loved 21 or so years ago. I think he might want to finish off the BF model before he plays with all the other stuff. Just my OPINION, but that is because I am trying to build a FULL CRP hop up BF or MudBlaster or Monster Beetle. I have enough chassis to do it, just haven't gotten off my butt to do it. I hope by the end of the year I can show off the labors of love these cars are going to get. I always wanted a Monster Beetle when I was driving my HotShot around since there were not many 4wd class racers in my area.