Sign in to follow this  
Tamiyabigstuff

Teu-101bk

Looking to find out which motors are safe to use with the TEU-101BK ESC.

Somewhere I read it is OK to use the 53068 Sport Tuned which is 23 turns but also there are other Tamiya motors such as the Super Stock Type R / Type S / Type T / Type RR / Type TZ / Type RZ which I think are all 23 turn and then the GT tuned which 25 turn and the Dirt Tuned motor which is 27 turn.

Is it safe to use these other motors with this ESC ?

I just don't want to burn a brand new ESC out !

Thanks.

I dont know a lot about motor and ESC compatability but I've heard/read numorous times that for the TEU-101BK any 27turn will be okay, the only lower turn motor thats okay to use with this ESC is the Tamiya Sport Tuned at 23turns. Anything else is pure risk. :)

We run a class here in New Zealand using the TZ or RZ motors with the standard Teu101bk esc in TT01's and they are fine. Done 3 years racing and no problems yet.( That be about 30 race days a year)

i was just thinking about this as i'm after getting a TZ super stock motor which is 23t and wasn't sure whether or not i would need a new esc, don't really want to buy one though as my Teu-101 is only 2 months old

Mate has a TZ in his Lunchbox with a 101. So far is been fine.

Tamiya only recommends using the standard "kit" 27turn 540 motor, and the Sports tuned motor with the TEU101BK, so dont expect warranty if you use it with any other motors.

I know someone who has a TEU101BK in his TA03F TRF "drift car" that regularly cuts out on thermal when using a Kit 540 motor..

Cheers

TZ motor in a Lunchbox consistently overheats the 101BK here in Vegas.

TZ motor in a Lunchbox consistently overheats the 101BK here in Vegas.

yes i agree in warm climates i would recommend you dont run any of the #Z motors on a teu101. In colder climates yes or if you mod it with a decent heatsinc.

Try finding a stock motor like the P2K2 or CO2 which can if tuned run more rev on a dyno than any of the #Z motors and have less amp draw thus resulting in a cooler esc.

Run the motor and check the ESC temo constantly, if it gets frying your finger hot, then you shouldnt do that for too long, rather then go for a better esc, maybe the LRP AI Reverse + which is cheap and a awesome esc and keep the TEU101 for a stock motor or another car. You always and i mean always KICK yourself in the butt at a later stage if you break or through away a teu, they are always handy.

I let the wife race a tt01 at my local club on friday. It had a TEU101BK with a gt tuned motor in it. For the final she used a 4300 matched race pack of cells and thats when the problem occured. The speedo shut down due to overheating.

It ran fine all nite on 2300s but the race pack was just to much for it to handle.

I let the wife race a tt01 at my local club on friday. It had a TEU101BK with a gt tuned motor in it. For the final she used a 4300 matched race pack of cells and thats when the problem occured. The speedo shut down due to overheating.

It ran fine all nite on 2300s but the race pack was just to much for it to handle.

TEU101BK with a Technigold in my race (yes) Datsun RM2 runs perfectly with cells up to 3700mah.

Note - it never gets above 25 deg C ambient temperature where I race.

4000mah cells and above is ott for it.

I know someone who has a TEU101BK in his TA03F TRF "drift car" that regularly cuts out on thermal when using a Kit 540 motor..

The one in my re-issue Hotshot does that. I think that ESC wants some cooling air. I don't think it likes being all enclosed like that.

Sorry but the info provided there is incorrect. The technigold is 21 turn and it has absolutely no problem running it.

Don't be put off it - unless you run it in an enclosed box a la hotshot/fox you should have no problem with it. Its a cheap and except for hating moisture, perfectly ok esc.

Just wanted to add.

A friend of mine runs a tt01 drifter. He has the 101 esc and a 19t motor, 4000mah batteries. No problems at all, never cuts out or anything.

May be a different case on grip tyres though.

How about a high turn motor like a 55t, can the teu-101 handle it? I see Novak makes a 'crawler' esc but do you need a special one?

It might, but only if you was to use that set up in say a scale truck like an CC01, but in a Clod????

How about a high turn motor like a 55t, can the teu-101 handle it? I see Novak makes a 'crawler' esc but do you need a special one?

High turn motors draw even less current, so work fine.

hi

do you think the teu-101bk would take 11.1 volt 2200 mah li po.

I know that the voltage will fall below recomended as the esc has no cut out.

I have several lipos that are below thier best.

I am using an ansman 23t motorworked fine wthe the mechanical untill we seized the gearbox!

I'm going to be racing in our local Tamiya offroad series next month. Should be picking up a really nice Terra Conqueror this week. Now the only rules I have to abide by is a standard teu-101 esc and nothing hotter than a 23t motor.

Racing format is 5 minutes + 1 lap. So yeah, I know how fast my Hornet is with an RZ motor, but I use a Tamiya CPR unit P160f with that, and I can't use that esc in class :D

What batteries or motor would be ideal? Something like a P2K2?

thanks

I drove my King Cab today with the standard silver can and MSC. I am thinking of putting the Teu-101BK in along with a Dirt Tuned I had laying around. My concern is the 4200 battery packs I have :lol: ???