Sign in to follow this  
infernox

Rc Crawler Tlt Build By A Newby

Fitted my tyres yesterday. Darn beadlocks are a mission! but got it right eventually.

Used the foam inners, cut to star shape on front wheels and normal in rear.

Also cut holes in sides of tyres, that way I did not need to make breather holes in the rims themselves, making my life easier when trying to remove water and dirt from the tyres.

Fitted new wheel axles (OK the old ones but now with better drilled holes) and washers for wheight and wheel spacing.

New Wheels against old wheels

10032008002.jpg

Star Designed on tyres

10032008.jpg

Star Foam Cut

10032008001.jpg

Random CHassis PIcs:

10032008003.jpg

11032008.jpg

Hello all

RYan: those parts you Pm'd me to make the drive shafts (sliders).

How do i attach these to my centre diff? (gearbox)

Hello all

RYan: those parts you Pm'd me to make the drive shafts (sliders).

How do i attach these to my centre diff? (gearbox)

If there the Traxxas Sliders which they probably are knowing Ryan.

You Need either the Hardened Yolks or the Normal PlaStic ones.

Hardened being stronger and twice the price of the plastic ones.

http://www.larrysperformancercs.com/cgi-bi...&type=store

If there the Traxxas Sliders which they probably are knowing Ryan.

You Need either the Hardened Yolks or the Normal PlaStic ones.

Hardened being stronger and twice the price of the plastic ones.

Dready: Ryan told me to buy

traxxas 1951 halfshaft

4628x metal tingy

5453 plastic tingy

ok i got the 4628x and the 1951 connected as seen in a previous post, now i wanna know, when the 5453 arrives. How do i fit it to the diff? I have no idea how this part looks.

Dready: Ryan told me to buy

traxxas 1951 halfshaft

4628x metal tingy

5453 plastic tingy

ok i got the 4628x and the 1951 connected as seen in a previous post, now i wanna know, when the 5453 arrives. How do i fit it to the diff? I have no idea how this part looks.

Here goes

I don't know what 5453 is but the other bits go together like this. you need to make two lots one for the front and one for the back.

post-18200-1205481308.jpg

neil

Here goes

I don't know what 5453 is but the other bits go together like this. you need to make two lots one for the front and one for the back.

post-18200-1205481308.jpg

neil

thanx for the pic dready, but i kind figured that... what i wanna know is how do i fit it to the diff. the diff has those ourdrives... how does that traxxas thingy fit on there?

thanx for the pic dready, but i kind figured that... what i wanna know is how do i fit it to the diff. the diff has those ourdrives... how does that traxxas thingy fit on there?

What's an 'Ourdrive?'

i cant see you pics at work :-( what axles have you got?

surely those metal yokes fit straight on and you tighten the grub screws to secure.

i know this is the case on tlt and hi-lift axles.

neil

What's an 'Ourdrive?'

i cant see you pics at work :-( what axles have you got?

surely those metal yokes fit straight on and you tighten the grub screws to secure.

i know this is the case on tlt and hi-lift axles.

neil

aha now i realize why we got error in communication:

ok TLT axles, steel yolkes and sliders already fitted to the axles side. I need to connect the other yokes to the diff/gearbox in the centre, outdrives ae the dogbone cups which come out of the ball diff in the centre (gearbox)

aha now i realize why we got error in communication:

ok TLT axles, steel yolkes and sliders already fitted to the axles side. I need to connect the other yokes to the diff/gearbox in the centre, outdrives ae the dogbone cups which come out of the ball diff in the centre (gearbox)

So you got a dogbone connection on the TLT gearbox and you want to connect a traxxas shaft to it?

I'm not familiar with the tlt gearbox so have just looked at the manual i cant see a simple way round it

post-18200-1205496720.jpg

PM Andy 'Twinset' he's well into his crawler's he might know, or know some little trick to get round it.

neil

So you got a dogbone connection on the TLT gearbox and you want to connect a traxxas shaft to it?

I'm not familiar with the tlt gearbox so have just looked at the manual i cant see a simple way round it

post-18200-1205496720.jpg

PM Andy 'Twinset' he's well into his crawler's he might know, or know some little trick to get round it.

neil

i will PM trinset. thanx man.

you see Ryan told me to get these yet HE AINT RESPONDING!!!!!!!!

Alright, yes i know it another post, but i just got to upload some pics. WOOOHOOOO shes starting to come together.

Update: THe metal rod which will be used to brace my lower links were cut into 3cm sections and they are going to a friend today to get drilled out so the Threaded rod will go through it. Will keep you up to date

Got body on friday (as a bday present)

and started spraying on saturday. Took my time with light coats and i think the colour came spot on!

Used Tamiya paints:

Translucent Silver

Gunmetal

Black

Sprayed 2 light coats of silver first then covered using gunmetal 2-3 coats. then backed using black 1 coat

Used carpet knife (forgot my blades at home) and cut the protective film around the arches and front bumper and rollcage.

Sprayed black on outside of body so give Mat effect.

Hope you like (actually i dont care, coz i like)

Keep in mind, body not mounted yet, because I dont know how to...

17032008.jpg

17032008001.jpg

17032008002.jpg

17032008003.jpg

17032008004.jpg

That's going to look sweet.

Sorry if I missed the post, but what happened with the JunFac Tracer?. They're not a bad conversion kit, but with the one I'm building, I fitted extension plates to the rear of the chassis, to put the standard body mounts in a usable location.

DSCF3575.jpg

That's going to look sweet.

Sorry if I missed the post, but what happened with the JunFac Tracer?. They're not a bad conversion kit, but with the one I'm building, I fitted extension plates to the rear of the chassis, to put the standard body mounts in a usable location.

The junfac Kit I would have bought from a guy in the states for $40, but he backed out.

See im still on a budget, because I need to buy a new PC aswell. So ill have to make everything myself. Problem is:

I fitted the steel rod reinforcement to my lower links last night and glued them in. But still everytime I press down on the car and stretch the suspension the threaded rod jumps out of the ball joint, normally the one on the axle's side.

Any offers, coz iim getting fed up.

Still the best success I have with making links is the 3mm threaded rod, from a fastener supply store, run through 1/8th id brass tube for strength. It's the cheapest way I know of.

Still the best success I have with making links is the 3mm threaded rod, from a fastener supply store, run through 1/8th id brass tube for strength. It's the cheapest way I know of.

i used 4-40 threaded rod, it works but ill havta super glue the rod into the rod ends.

RYAN: i got the final part for the sliders. TRaxxas 5453, now please tell me how i install this?

i used 4-40 threaded rod, it works but ill havta super glue the rod into the rod ends.

RYAN: i got the final part for the sliders. TRaxxas 5453, now please tell me how i install this?

Hi mate- I just bought the bits. dready built it for me... Best ask him really. Hes usually bored at work so give him a PM

Hi mate- I just bought the bits. dready built it for me... Best ask him really. Hes usually bored at work so give him a PM

DREADY????

Yes Dready.

you see Ryan told me to get these yet HE AINT RESPONDING!!!!!!!!

Maybe a pm would've helped :rolleyes:

Cop out! :blink:

DREADY????

I dont know? ask andy. i dont know of anyway to convert a dogbone to traxxas. :rolleyes:

I have never built a tlt.

Cop out! :blink:

I dont know? ask andy. i dont know of anyway to convert a dogbone to traxxas. :rolleyes:

I have never built a tlt.

ok now im confused.... if anone knows how to build sliders using the traxxas parts, please let me know....

It's a hard thing to convert a TLT transmission to take Traxxas universal joints. Some people, years ago, used to modify the TLT diff "cups" to take the trunnion from the Traxxas sliders, so turning it from a dogbone outdrive to a universal yolk.

easy answer, you can't. Replace the ball diff with the TA04 gear diff fitted to the low end TA04 tourers, to give you a pair of diff outdrives you can then bolt the Traxxas sliders on to. Lock up the gear diff first.

Most crawlers just throw away the belt drive transmission and replace it with a Traxxas Stampede gearbox for better reliability and a pair of the proper outdrives.

easy answer, you can't. Replace the ball diff with the TA04 gear diff fitted to the low end TA04 tourers, to give you a pair of diff outdrives you can then bolt the Traxxas sliders on to. Lock up the gear diff first.

Most crawlers just throw away the belt drive transmission and replace it with a Traxxas Stampede gearbox for better reliability and a pair of the proper outdrives.

aw that's just great.... that mean ill have to make it happen then. Coz my budget is done for this crawler.

All you've got to do is find someone with a basic TA04 and see if they will swap their gear diff with your ball diff, assuming you haven't already modified it to lock it up.