redzone

Ta02 Nutter Thread

yep mine looks pretty similar to that now.. anyone know the weight saving/rigidity improvement of the carbon vs FRP plates??

yep mine looks pretty similar to that now.. anyone know the weight saving/rigidity improvement of the carbon vs FRP plates??

referring to my old post http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=35661&hl=, that'd be the weight of my FF + the weight of the TA02 front box.

As for rigidity, not too bad though IMO is about the same to the bathtub version, but my only reason for upgrade would be the steering belcranks. The ones in the FRP set pivots on bearings, which are far more consistent from heat to heat. Unfortunately, on the TRF chassis kit for the TA03, that feature become another option part in aluminium. The other reason is weight reduction, though it didn't save much. For example, the GPM aluminium chassis kit for the TA02/FF01 weigh as much as tamiya's FRP/carbon, but far more rigid.

And to my dismay, the FRP kit for TA02 doesn't come with shock towers, as it did for the DF01 buggy.

Carbon decks will be stiffer, but I dont think there will be a noticeable difference in weight compared to frp. Considering ta02 are usually bashed on less than perfect surface, flexible frp will provide better traction. Unless one is going for the bling shelf piece, frp is better suited. Run the frp till it breaks, then upgrade to carbon when the ta02 retires as shelf queen.

Is this the oldest thread bump on the forum? :ph34r:

Rebuilt this TA02 last night from spares, it's almost done, just need to pick out a shell, I have loads but want something from the period. 

Screenshot_20210112_081924.thumb.jpg.7da6e9d6d7f8fc96f58c6609cf417c7f.jpg

I've got a couple TA02 projects on the go, one is a vintage Manta Ray buggy (that's on its way) using this on road frp chassis.

Screenshot_20210112_081708.thumb.jpg.c5878fe4e3f26fd752b21198ee7ae4c5.jpg

And the other is a rebuild of a mint Nissan 300zx I recently acquired. 

Screenshot_20210112_081604.thumb.jpg.fc9bd1344923259420525dc67f26fc00.jpg

So who else still loves a vintage TA02 in 2021? :)

• Like 2

Absolutely!

Im totes jel of you scoring that kit in such good condition, would love to have one in my collection.

Is it exactly the same body shell used on the Group C version?

• Like 1

Would love for tamiya to re-release the ta02-w variants. The 300zx, the r33 gtr-lm and the original supra gt are great looking cars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Absolutely!

Im totes jel of you scoring that kit in such good condition, would love to have one in my collection.

Is it exactly the same body shell used on the Group C version?

I couldn't believe it either, was way under my highest bid too. 

Not sure about the group c body, they're kinda low but I can't imagine they'd make 2 different moulds. :unsure:

2 hours ago, rich_f said:

Would love for tamiya to re-release the ta02-w variants. The 300zx, the r33 gtr-lm and the original supra gt are great looking cars. 

Yeah they should bring a couple back out, an r33 would be perfect. 

13 minutes ago, Wez-li said:

Not sure about the group c body, they're kinda low but I can't imagine they'd make 2 different moulds. :unsure:

Different bodies! 

Same for the Porsche GT1 911 ta03 and f103 are different, I prefer the 300ZX The group C. 

7 minutes ago, svenb said:

Different bodies! 

Same for the Porsche GT1 911 ta03 and f103 are different, I prefer the 300ZX The group C. 

Wow, they really took things seriously and looked after us back in the day, you know, when I was a schoolkid and broke :lol:

4 hours ago, Wez-li said:

Possibly ! ;)

image.gif.058aa794df56c4c58bab08a0d1c8c247.gif

4 hours ago, Wez-li said:

So who else still loves a vintage TA02 in 2021? :)

What's not to like - great series of chassis, easy to work on, parts are plentiful, loads of body shells and very robust runner

Wez - i still have a sandwich box full of DF-01 and related parts if you are interested or need anything - not sure what's in there (a few years since i last looked)  but a mix of new/used plastic parts, drivetrain items and possibly some chassis plates.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wez-li said:

Wow, they really took things seriously and looked after us back in the day, you know, when I was a schoolkid and broke :lol:

Long time ago 😂

25 minutes ago, Percymon said:

Possibly ! ;)

image.gif.058aa794df56c4c58bab08a0d1c8c247.gif

What's not to like - great series of chassis, easy to work on, parts are plentiful, loads of body shells and very robust runner

Wez - i still have a sandwich box full of DF-01 and related parts if you are interested or need anything - not sure what's in there (a few years since i last looked)  but a mix of new/used plastic parts, drivetrain items and possibly some chassis plates.

Yeah it's my favourite chassis, but somehow I sold my top force, manta Ray and terra conqueror :rolleyes: so I was only left with on road stuff. 

This basketcase just arrived from ebay, I'm always taking in strays :lol:

Screenshot_20210112_130313.thumb.jpg.215e2f7a3a8b47290d045e280aad94b9.jpg

I'm trying to build this

Screenshot_20210112_130651.jpg.7c7be4e8a5288109acdaa1242da8b14e.jpg

I have chassis plates, but if you have anything else knocking about let me know :)

15 minutes ago, svenb said:

Long time ago 😂

Unfortunately yes :lol:

You don't have to tell me about taking in strays / basket cases !

1 hour ago, Percymon said:

You don't have to tell me about taking in strays / basket cases !

:lol::lol:

I see them on ebay and no one bids, they deserve a second chance at life :ph34r:

8 hours ago, svenb said:

Different bodies! 

Out of interest, what are the differences between the ta02 version of the 300zx and the group c version? Is it just the rear spoiler? Is it supposed to represent a car from a different race season?

I can understand the Porsches are different bodies because they aren't even supposed to be the same car (one is 911 gt1 and one is 911 gt1-98).

6 hours ago, Wez-li said:

I see them on ebay and no one bids, they deserve a second chance at life

Man I wish I could find things on ebay that no-one else bids on!

1 hour ago, rich_f said:

Man I wish I could find things on ebay that no-one else bids on!

It's a rare occurrence for me, working from home with two laptops open helps :lol:

On 1/12/2021 at 9:27 AM, Wez-li said:

I am glad you bumped this thread!

I worked on my TA-02 today and wanted to post the effort, but didn’t know where. The „What have you done today“ thread would’ve been fitting, but lets be honest, it is 60% Willy Iine posting Wild Willys, so I was looking for a general TA-02 thread and found this one :)

ff5eba2a-7be4-4e23-96fjlb.jpeg

Some weeks ago I ordered the YeahRacing carbon chassis plates. Carbon really looks good on this car. The YeahRacing lower chassis plate is a 1:1 copy of the Tamiya frp lower plate. The topdeck differs in several areas and while many won‘t see the differences, very obvious is the missing hole above the battery mount.

1a0809d4-607f-4b32-9uejkv.jpeg

With the help of the original topdeck, I marked where it has to be and carefully milled it with a Dremel.

e4179324-8544-4af7-9r1j6y.jpeg

I don’t know why, but the existence of this cutout makes an important impact on the appearance:

8fc64113-2eec-44af-bmzkrt.jpeg

This is my TA-02 in its current state:

979f48ba-8780-4ac4-9ssj67.jpeg

fd8c6430-5c52-477b-9c1kvi.jpeg

It got all hop-ups I could grab in the last three years. One part, I never could get, is the 53145 bumper.

b65e311b-ff95-4011-9gqjgu.jpeg

Some months ago @Quincy had more luck and got one. He lend it to me, as I now decided to print one myself. But first I needed to build it virtually:

a078cbb7-19d1-4f77-90fk9h.jpeg

b9074abe-0f86-4cb3-8zekbp.jpeg

That wasn’t too difficult ^_^ Now I have to wait for the printer to finish.

3e1c8c0c-a365-46da-9o4kyf.jpeg

• Like 4

@ThunderDragonCy :lol: We definitely know what is good. I think we have a pretty similar taste (and maybe age?) .

I read your thread and love your intention to race it! Mine never saw a track (unfortunately), but will at some time, if Quincy and Sgt.Speirs bring theirs, too.

• Like 1

Me again :rolleyes:

After a little mess (Cura caused a chaos print), the second print was a success. I am very happy with the outcome. Again a little change that transformed the look of the car a lot:

749f51d1-340d-4001-barj2q.jpeg

42c2985d-932e-44ea-82xjsn.jpeg

c6fcaa3d-9ef6-4246-bpbkrq.jpeg

74906a6e-e5ba-48b9-9fvje6.jpeg

ec58bfed-8a2d-4168-9yvjcz.jpeg

• Like 5

Really like the TA02. It's such a nice driving chassis and looks so great, even in stock form.

I think it's time to put my old chassis on the list to be restored. It really had a hard time including the C-Class body :D

@wtcc5 really nice looking chassis. Love the silver shocks. Always hard to choose between silver and pink.

• Like 2