markbt73

Parma Hemi Coupe Build

My wife got me a Hemi Coupe kit for Christmas, and I haven't had time to do anything with it yet, except think and plan. I think I know basically where I'm going with it now; I just need time to actually do it. It's going to be fenderless, gloss black, with some careful engine detailing and (if I get really ambitious) working lights and an interior.

It will be set up as a runner; I am not capable of building a pure static shelf queen, but it will probably not see much action. As such, I'm going easy with the power. I'm going to try to adapt the motor plate to run a 380 out of a Grasshopper, and I have a 2:1 reduction box that might work to slow it down even further. I have a spare TEU101 for control and a Futaba servo that already has the ears cut off, just waiting.

As far as detailing goes, I really wish Parma had chosen a Chevy small-block instead of the Hemi. I'm tempted to try to build one or adapt one from another kit, but that might be going a bit far. So the Hemi stays, but I don't like the big drag-racing blower, so I'm going to do a little scratch building and make a hi-rise intake for dual 4bbl carbs. And the zoomie headers are going too, replaced by 4-into-1 headers and "lake pipes." You know, something that could actually be driven on the street, were it 1:1.

I don't know what to do for wheels and tires yet. Have to think about that a bit... ideas welcome.

Photos coming when I actually start. I have a million things going on right now and sadly, no time to devote to RC of any kind, but soon. Really.

lake pipes are a bit kustom arent they?

Hemi motor is perfect for the old school rod vibe :)

I keep considering buying one of these myself.

Well, I got the basic rolling chassis together last night. Took about an hour; there's not much to it, and I'm an old pan-car guy anyway.

Here it is sitting on my very cluttered desk:

hemicoupe1.jpg

I found a couple photos on the web to use for reference, too. One shows a good shot of a fairly stock 392 Hemi four-barrel in a 32 Ford engine bay.

And btw, the etymology of the term "lake pipes" is that they were originally used on the coupes and roadsters that were raced on dry lake beds in California. The lake pipes were capped, so the exhaust ran through normal mufflers on the street, but out on the lake, the caps came off and the exhaust was unrestricted for a bit more power. The kustom guys picked up on the fashion statement, but not the purpose.

Motor is now installed. It's a 380 out of a Grasshopper, connected to an old Stormer Racing reduction box, which gives a 1.8:1 reduction. Obviously, because of the extra gear, I'll have to run the motor backwards. Should slow the car down enough to be controllable for showoff runs, which is all it will ever see. I might run it on 4 cells, too, just to slow it down more.

Sorry about the blurry photo; my camera isn't exactly state-of-the-art.

hemicoupe2.jpg

A bit more progress... Body pieces are now trimmed. I'm thinking of using the Pro-Line treaded tires, but I haven't decided what to use on the front yet.

hemicoupe3.jpg

Body will probably be painted this weekend. It's going to be basic black, with maybe some pinstripes later.

The glacial progress continues...

hemicoupe4.jpg

It's like, how much more black could it be? And the answer is none. None more black.

• Like 2

Did a bit of work on the engine this evening. I got some 3/16" styrene tubing and started making headers.

Bending that stuff is tricky, let me tell you. Note the pile of pipes that didn't make the grade, and my big long weird "practice piece." I did it by holding it over a candle flame for a few seconds, and then bending a tiny bit, then re-heating it and bending a bit more... slowly but surely I got a pile of pipes with 90 degree bends in them and started gluing them up in pairs with the correct spacing.

pipes.jpg

Each of these pairs will be joined, and then the engine end will be cut to all the same length, so they can be attached to the heads. The bottom ends will all go inside larger tubes to make "4-into-1" pipes, and these will run along the rocker panels and bend outward just ahead of the rear wheels. (I know, side pipes like that are more associated with Corvettes or mid-70s custom vans, but I like them, and it's my hot rod, and I'll built it how I want.)

I also have a decent dual-quad intake manifold made, but I can't get a good photo of it to save my soul. Next, I need to make carburetors, I still need to figure out what to do for a water pump and alternator, and I'm thinking of moving the distributor to the back, to make this an early "Fire Power" Hemi as opposed to the later 426.

Intake and air cleaners are done! Intake was shaped out of plastic putty and painted silver. Chrome plastic throttle bodies that are supposed to go atop the blower make fairly accurate dual 4-barrel carbs. The air cleaners are made from 3/4" wooden disks I found at a craft store, and two of the little unused gears that come with Grasshopper/Hornet gear sets. I painted the gears flat black, and the disks silver, and drilled through-holes down into the carbs and bolted them in place using 4-40 x 1" screws. I still need to paint the screw heads silver, and I might try to find some sort of metal mesh to go around the air cleaners. But I think they look pretty good as-is.

http://picasaweb.google.com/markbt73/RcStu...250138102647890

(sorry to resurrect this thread from long ago)

Hi Mark -- this is a longshot, but do you happen to still have this body? I'm trying to get accurate dimensions without the fenders, especially the width at the rear wheels and at the doors. I'm doubting Parma's dimensions, based on prior experience.

Thanks,
Steve

Would be nice if we could see the finished model. These Parma Hemi are awesome.

Oh jeez... Yeah, I still have this thing, somewhere, in a box, but I never did finish it. Cut the roof off to make it a roadster, and screwed up the cut, and just sort of gave up.

Oh jeez... Yeah, I still have this thing, somewhere, in a box, but I never did finish it. Cut the roof off to make it a roadster, and screwed up the cut, and just sort of gave up.

It's a shame when good projects don't get finished, we should start a new section of the forum.

"R/C S.O.S."

Thank you for the posting and look fwd to the final results. Always like the model with the nice big engine at the front and none of aero dynamic claddings of modern days design where everthing is coverd up and end up seeing nothing = boring.

BTW, who makes it and is it RC or just a shell and you have to put a chassis on it?

Thank you for the posting and look fwd to the final results. Always like the model with the nice big engine at the front and none of aero dynamic claddings of modern days design where everthing is coverd up and end up seeing nothing = boring.

BTW, who makes it and is it RC or just a shell and you have to put a chassis on it?

As a kit it was marketed by PARMA in the early 90's.

Back in the day you could also buy the bodyshell, and also the Hemi engine as separate.

Now you can find ***** reproduction bodies, but sadly not the engine. And if you happen to find the Hemi kit, well, that thing usually sells for pretty hefty sums. If it wasn't for that, I think I would have made a 7-engine Drgaster tractor by now...

Thanks goose. got to learn how to read, the info was there :lol: Maybe the demand is enough,there will be a re re , fingers crossed.

Might I suggest Traxxas Funny car front wheels/tires for the front runners.. they're VERY nice about 2" tall and 3/4" or so wide..

Now you can find ***** reproduction bodies, but sadly not the engine. And if you happen to find the Hemi kit, well, that thing usually sells for pretty hefty sums. If it wasn't for that, I think I would have made a 7-engine Drgaster tractor by now...

I have one for sale in the sale section, as a project with a full NIP body and haven't had a sniff of interest!!

DSCN9289_zps5xcekpxl.jpg

As a kit it was marketed by PARMA in the early 90's.

Back in the day you could also buy the bodyshell, and also the Hemi engine as separate.

You can still get these very rare kits prices are not that bad, as I just purchased one a fortnight ago on eBay local auction in Australia for AUD $234.40 posted .

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301668197656

Patience is the key I think when hunting old harder to get kits .

Stuart.

• Like 1

You can still get these very rare kits prices are not that bad, as I just purchased one a fortnight ago on eBay local auction in Australia for AUD $234.40 posted .

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301668197656

Patience is the key I think when hunting old harder to get kits .

Stuart.

Hi Stuart, how ya been.

Are you going to build it? It would be awesome to have a chance to see a build thread of that kit ;)

You have a good Friday! :)

• Like 1

Hi Eric .

Yeah mate have been good thank you very busy with work and family comitments ,new house build,parents died ...LIFE !!

How have you been ? still teaching ?,I often think of you mate wondering how your going .

I'm still chipping away at buying kits ,just a lot slower these days.

Do you have a FB account ? can stay in touch.

As for building it ,Im a lover not a builder mate ..the kit sill has the plastic wrapping on it .

Regards Stuart.

Hi Eric .

Yeah mate have been good thank you very busy with work and family comitments ,new house build,parents died ...LIFE !!

How have you been ? still teaching ?,I often think of you mate wondering how your going .

I'm still chipping away at buying kits ,just a lot slower these days.

Do you have a FB account ? can stay in touch.

As for building it ,Im a lover not a builder mate ..the kit sill has the plastic wrapping on it .

Regards Stuart.

I'm sorry to hear about the sad parts. No, I don't have FB. Bit I will send you a PM in a minute.

Ah, I was expecting for a build thread. Will have to wait for some lucky TCer to do that someday, haha. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the condolences ..Life has no rules !

All my kits are going to my kids .when that day arrives and I meet my maker ,so you might get to see a Hemi Coupe build thread oneday from one of my sons :)

Okay Parma Hemi Coupe NIB Kit arrived today .

Question/s :

*Where on God's green earth do I find a Motor and Pinion ? .

*Where can I get an Parma speed controller from ?.

*And finally where can I get the Parma Hemi Wiring Kit (#10411A) from ?

All these parts are not included in the kit.

I have searched the usual places like eBay with no luck any ideas please ? .

I realise I can most likely source non Parma parts but I like to keep my kits original .

Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks Stuart.

The kit does not include a motor, pinion, or speed control. Most US companies stopped including any electronics by 1990 or so. You'll need a standard 48 pitch pinion and whatever power source you choose. Parma hasn't made speed controls since they stopped making the wire-wound MSCs (basically just a slot-car controller with a servo arm) sometime in the mid 80s.

Engine wiring kit should have been there, but it's basically just some thin yellow wire for spark plug wires, some braided wide for fuel lines, and a thick black rubber band for a blower belt.

• Like 1