Sign in to follow this  
Devastator

New Battery

Sorry if how to work this out has been posted elsewhere, if so please can you link it?

I've just got a new Nosram 3600mah NiMH battery, but don't know how long to charge it for.

I thought it would be good to trickle charge it for the first few times but I don't know if this is right.

I've got an Ansmann 140mah trickle charger or I could use my Mtronicks APC 200 AC/DC Digital Fast Charger, but I don't know the specs on that as I was given it, and none are written on it.

Thanks ;)

I fast charge all my packs, and dont bother with slow charging.. Basically it is personal preference...

You will need a peak detection charger that is designed to charge NiMh batteries, otherwise you will damage the battery. Using a Peak detection charger, if you charge at 1C (1x the battery capacity in amps, 3600mAhr = 3.6A charge rate) then your battery will charge in about 1.5 hours. Always discharge your battery before charging, and allow it to cool before being charged.

It may also be an idea to store that battery partially charged (NOT FULLY CHARGED) if the battery is to be stored for some weeks, but again, you must discharge the battery before re-charging.

I have no idea of the specs for that charger, but you could try the mtroniks website.. It may just be easier (and cheaper in the long run) to buy a new charger that is suitable for charging those batteries.

Don't bother with trickle charging, in fact trying to trickle charge that battery would take 36 hours.

The Mtroniks APC 200 isn't designed for NiMh batteries, it will constantly overcharge it, which will very quickly damage it.

You will need to buy a new charger, but with a decent modern charger you jst plug it in and leave it, no worries about how long to charge it for.

Well I can't really afford one at the minute I don't think as I've just bought a whole new Brushless set-up plus some other stuff so it will have to wait.

How did you work out 36 hours? I thought it would be 3600/140= Just under 26 hours? Or is this completely wrong?

Once I do have the money what would you recommend?

Charging a battery isn't very efficient, especially when trickle charging. On average about 70% efficiency. So for every 1400mah you put into a battery only about 1000mah is stored in there.

In this case 3600 x 1.4 = 5040mah needed to charge the battery. Divided by the 140mA current of your charger you get 36 hours.

As for which charger, I would recommend just about anything around 60-70 as they have all the features you could need and will last for years.