Sign in to follow this  
mudslinger

Do I Really Need One?

It seems everyone has one! There's one on ebay every week, do i really need one! Do i need a sand scorcher? Its one of them models i have never really taken to! I will leave it to the members to decide! Please let me know why i need a sand scorcher in my collection..........

If you don't want one don't get one. Simple as that. There's no law saying you must have one unless you're a serious collector of the real vintage stuff. I don't have one and actually if you look through the showrooms although it seems like most people have one in fact more people probably don't have one than do.

Personally I would love one but I'm holding out on Tamiya doing a modern revamp of it which is surely inevitable.

If you look at it and wonder why then perhaps you should save your pennies. For me it was a no brainer, it was the first RC that really caught my eye and I could not afford one - common story.

Now I have one and I love it, its just so pretty. One day I will get chrome wheels and alloy bumpers front and rear then mount it in a show case with sand, but for now it just sits pretty in my house. I owe it a new paint job and then I will add the TC decals I have. For now it just sits and for the last year at leaat brings a smile to my face each time I see it. I would like to think in 100 years my great great nephew or such like is on Antiques road show and the Antique buff is blown away saying "Do you know what you have here, wow!!!!"

Buy one, save it from the breakers, and let it sit pretty in your collection for ever yours, you wont regret it.

You`ve got to want one...you`ve got to want anything you`re going to buy really.

If you`re not that interested,and end up buying one,you would probably end up picking fault and questioning what all the fuss is about.

Leave it and and get something you do want

It depends on what you want it for. Nothing else looks as cool but it's heavy and a poor runner. Are you planning a scale shelfer or a light runner?

I would encourage getting one, but not paying an arm and a leg for it.

I recently purchased a Rough Rider that I plan on fitting both the RR and the Scorcher shell to. I purchased a couple of Blitzer shells from Tamiya a couple of years ago. I was going to fit them to my Hornet but it just wasn't "right." Only the SRBs have the right offset and spacing to match the Beetle shell correctly.

If you like RC cars and the engineering that goes into them, the SRBs are really fascinating kits. They are heavy and substantial. Compared to my original kits from when I was younger, the RR feels a lot nicer than the Yokomo 834 Losi, but not as nice as my Turbo Optima Mid Se. And it is TONS better than the Grasshopper (those have their own charm though).

If you just want the look, you can piece one together with various cherrypicked original and aftermarket parts. But that will take some patience and scrounging, which is half the fun. And the Blitzer shells give you 95% of the look if you add clear windows, door handles, etc. Those are still affordable.

Personally, I think the hunt is part of the fun, along with the restoration build. I can understand why someone would pay big money for a nicely restored kit, but I think you miss out on some of the fun, and might be afraid to run it if it is too nice.

Hope that helps your decision.

When I got back into RC's in my 30's I knew I had to have one. I've done 2 resto's and my latest has given me so much satisfaction. I did have a runner with a sport tuned motor sqeezed into it, but it was only fun to use on sand or really loose gravel. My shelf queen is a thing of beauty and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling every time I look at it! LOL!!!

I guess for a lot of us, we want one because of what it represents or reminds us of; That feeling of being completely happy whilst running your RC as a kid. Most of us wanted one but couldn't afford it at the time (or our parents couldn't). If you can connect to it in some way that makes you feel good, then get one! But if not, then don't waste your money. If the Scorcher was/is part of a dream, then follow it, or look for another dream elsewhere!!

(That was a bit deep! LOL!!)

I asked that to myself too... But I'm working on a project now to build/restore a sand scorcher. Since I don't need a shelf queen or box art SS, I can choose repro or cheaper parts. I don't know how it drives, I might not like it at all, but one thing is certain... It's a wanted item, so you can always get some money out of it if you don't want it anymore (and it seems to me that some people sell their SRB's in parts, because they can get more money out of it that way)...

If you even want one, you have to ask yourself how much you want to spend on it... I wanted to know more about vintage RC cars, and the Sand scorcher caught my attention because the suspension and dif look strong compared to the modern (ABS) RC cars I am used to... It all started with my passion for the M02, and since I own one of those I have wanted an even earlier car... :lol:

So ask yourself if you have the time and want to work on a project like this, If you like off-road RC cars and if it doesn't cost you too much :lol:

Hmmmmmm - do you like it? = Y E S

Are you doing it so you can say "Me too" = N O

You really have to decide if you like the car. Judging by your original post - seems that you never really liked it........

In that case, get something you really want yourself.......do what excites you - who cares what other people think...this hobby is about your enjoyment.

Cheers

Darryn

It seems everyone has one! Do i need a sand scorcher?
No, you certainly don't need one to add to your collection and buying one because everyone has one is just succumbing to peer pressure.

There are loads of them on the site because they are what everyone remembers from their r/c involvement, most of the members either having a Scorcher as their first car and reminiscing over running the cars, or those who wished they had one back then but couldn't afford one, but can afford one now.

If it doesn't hold any childhood memories for you then the only reason to get one is because you like the looks of it. If you want to have one to run you will soon find out how much cars had moved on even by the mid 80s, it certainly isn't a great runner but that's what it's appeal is to a lot of us who remember bouncing a Scorcher around the back garden.

Get something that interests you instead.

I've asked this same question a number of times when I see a tempting deal on something that is popular with others in TC but leaves me, well, luke warm. Just when I'm thinking, why not give it a try, something else comes along that just keeps me awake at night thinking, "MAN, I want one of those so bad it hurts." That's when I buy it and that's when I've been so happy about it that I can't walk by the blasted thing w/o wanting to smile. Doesn't matter what it is, or what anybody else thinks about it. Its purely a visceral, almost DNA level WANT IT NOW thing.

Does the Sand Scorcher do that for you? If not, keep looking. If yes, then quit fooling around reading this nonsense man, get thee hence and purchase the blasted thing. Kill if you must, but acquire one with all due haste and then make yourself giddy with liberal application of throttle, wheelies, jumps or whatever it is that floats your boat.

If you are not feeling it don't buy it unless it's a great deal. I don't like the Scorcher/RR/F-150 either. It would be an insanity to spend that much for something you don't like.

I say don't get one... maybe one day when more people resist peer pressure, prices will finally fall back to acceptable levels, and those of us who want one can eventually afford one :D

Paul

I'd say get one.Here's why i think you should.

Simply because they are fantastic.

Prices are higher than ever i agree but even my second time around collecting them and having to pay nearly 3 x what i sold mine for last time.

The effect of owning one is still exactly the same.

Sheer delight.They are such a joy to look at and a pleasure to work on.

If it is the cost which concerns you, there's plenty on the forums to look at and enjoy all the same.

But be warned the more you look,the more you'll want one and thats when your hooked.!!

I disagree you have to have one cus everyones got one,everyones got one for a reason and you can get one for your reason,they are a very special buggy and not likely to be ever made in this way ever again.

Yeah there heavy,slow and have weired handleing caracteristics,but that's whats so good about them.

Get one you'll be glad .

Best regards

Tim

I'd say get one.Here's why i think you should.

Simply because they are fantastic.

Prices are higher than ever i agree but even my second time around collecting them and having to pay nearly 3 x what i sold mine for last time.

The effect of owning one is still exactly the same.

Sheer delight.They are such a joy to look at and a pleasure to work on.

If it is the cost which concerns you, there's plenty on the forums to look at and enjoy all the same.

But be warned the more you look,the more you'll want one and thats when your hooked.!!

I disagree you have to have one cus everyones got one,everyones got one for a reason and you can get one for your reason,they are a very special buggy and not likely to be ever made in this way ever again.

Yeah there heavy,slow and have weired handleing caracteristics,but that's whats so good about them.

Get one you'll be glad .

Best regards

Tim

At least you can have a think about weather you are going to get one. When I see something that I want I just buy it and then think about it later on. Its like I have a demon on one shoulder and an angel on the other and the demon always wins LOL.

Then i sell it on ebay and make a loss.

I think its called having the bug or madness one of the two.

Ok guys thanks for all your thoughts........... I think i want one now, i think i am in two minds because these where about before i ever got intrested in rc as a young lad! To be honest i never even knew they had such a big following till i started useing this site. But i have to say there are some nice ones in your showrooms.

since the Scorcher is extremly expensive, let your money make a decision for you.

sure to be one of the coolest Tamiya ever