Sign in to follow this  
tonyleic

Sand Scorcher Paint

Could any one tell me if they have found a fool proof way of masking / painting the indents in a sand scorchers body and getting a nice clean line around them? So far I have tried masking fluid and tape and still the edges are not great

Many thanks for your thoughts

Tonyleics

for a crisp edge, you need to mask with a very good masking tape - but then cut the edge with a blade - no masking tape has a clean edge. The other way is to use a 'nylon' type edging tape which give a very crisp line, but only available in thin widths, so you then use normal masking tape to cover large areas.

Also you can run a blade along the edge of the tape once the paint is dry before removing the tape - this will stop the 'tear' - but you risk the dredded slip!

One trick I learned from old busted hotness is once the tape is down, spray a small amount of clear to seal the tape down. you'll get a crisp edge without the bleeding.

And spray lots of very thin coats to build up the colour. Like the clear spray trick, the first few coats will seal the tape and stop further coats from bleeding through. But lots of thin coats has always worked for me. And Tamiya masking tape has always been my favourite!! :lol:

many thanks for your thoughts guys, ill give the nylon tape with some clear a go and see whet I can do. thats if / when I finally mange to get some more of the tamyia spray paint

many thanks once again tony leics

One trick I learned from old busted hotness is once the tape is down, spray a small amount of clear to seal the tape down. you'll get a crisp edge without the bleeding.

Now that's a nice trick.

Just to clarify, even though it already crystal clear but just incase - you mean do all the masking then hit it with a light coat of clear coat and then apply the colours?

Sounds amazing!! - I wish i learnt this last year when i did about 7 scorcher shells :)