Sign in to follow this  
RC-TSC

Noob Question! Steel Antenna Vs Tube?

Hi all,

Time for another noob question, it's really just something thats been bugging me for ages.

What are the reasons for using a steel antenna as opposed to a plastic tube? Obviously the plastic tube will take hits a lot better, but does anybody use the steel antenna on running cars? Wouldn't the steel antenna just break, or even strip it's housing after a few crashes?

Cheers.

TSC.

I'm no expert, but I have one fitted to a runner and it does reduce roll-over damage if the car flips!! But there is always the risk that you could rip it out of its mounting of course!

Thats the only benefit, other than how it looks, that I have experienced. :lol:

The steel antennas were around in the days of hard bodied shells, and were actually very good at stopping a buggy from rolling all the way over, and protected the shell from alot of damage. The steel is strong, but flexible, so wouldn't snap, but would bend slightly over time. Due to the weight of the buggies, the mountings didn't break.

As well as the good points above I think a steel 'whip' type aerial on the back looks so much better than a straw poking through the roof. Better still wrap the antenna around inside. Or drill a few holes in a strip of lexan and thread through there

steel antennas do stop rollover... but often they also stop the car rolling back onto its wheels! :lol:

(and once had the SuperSabre stab itself upsidedown into the ground, wheels in the air)

i usually use them where they come standard but lately have removed them all for safety.

Got an infant running around the house, big risk of someone falling onto a car on the floor

or those things can really take an eye out.

Hotshot & Brat/Frog looks wierd without their metal masts though. :lol:

Steel antenna is nice to see but no more. It bends, it ruins the antenna hole on the body, it leaves the car upside down, it breaks the chassis where it's screwed on.

My opinion, I had a Boomerang.

Kontemax

We used to use rigid steel or fiberglass antennas in 1:12 scale on-road, because if the car flipped, the antenna would bounce it back onto its wheels. I've tried one on my HPI Micro RS4 with similar results. But I guess that trick only works with a really lightweight car with a low center of gravity.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'll try the steel antenna on my Hotshot soon, the tube is starting to look very tired indeed & I'll soon be ordering a new one.

Cheers,

TSC.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'll try the steel antenna on my Hotshot soon, the tube is starting to look very tired indeed & I'll soon be ordering a new one.

Cheers,

TSC.

oh man, the steel antenna was part of the Hotshot's classic look! why on earth did you use the tube antenna to begin with!?!?!?!?!?!?

just givin you a hard time :) but you'll be pleased with the results.