Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

Polishing Metal Parts, How Do I?

Well I finaly broke down and bought an Avante (hopefuly my last car but this is addicting) anyway I want to polish the metal suspension parts to bring them back to life. How and what do I use to polish them and protect them?

Well I finaly broke down and bought an Avante (hopefuly my last car but this is addicting) anyway I want to polish the metal suspension parts to bring them back to life. How and what do I use to polish them and protect them?

Are they aluminum? If so you could try using a rotary tool with a polishing tip. They do a good job and are very accurate. They are also as gentle or as abrasive as you want them to be just by the amount of pressure you apply to the tool. Aluminum, as far as I'm aware, always oxidizes. Just do your best to keep the parts clean and they should stay looking nice.

Yes they are aluminum, and they do oxidize quickly, so what can I put on the parts after I polish them to keep them from oxidizing? I plan on using a dremel, but what kind of polishing compound and bit should I use?

I'd use a couple of conical polishing tips. As for a compound, I can't recommend anything particular, but whatever it is it should be as gentle as possible. Let it take time. I wouldn't try and seal the aluminum... I'm not sure if it would discolor or if it could oxidize underneath the sealer. Talk to an autoparts store and see if they have anything they think would do the job.

Good metal polishes like Flitz, Wenol, Maas and even Mother Mag wheel polish will remove the oxidization and leave a high shine. as for protection, Mothers has something in it like a wax that gives a bit of protection but no matter what you do, the aluminum will always oxidize.

Here is one I did up which I eventually sold to UK claire. The chrome was done with allclad II paint.

img34_21062004230201_1.jpg

Sometimes I wish i would have kept it.

If you are in the UK I am getting some really good results with little effort from Brasso. I use the wadding version and just let it sit for about 1 min then polish off.

If you are in the UK I am getting some really good results with little effort from Brasso. I use the wadding version and just let it sit for about 1 min then polish off.

Yers, Brasso wadding is pretty good.

Ally is always difficult to protect after polishing. Your main problem is the fact that aluminium oxide forms almost instantly after the metal is exposed, and the fact that polish doesn't prevent oxides from forming. Spray on lacquers are not ideal, don't work for long, and you must clean ALL the polish off the surface. Professional lacquering is a possibility.

If you check with a local anodizing company, they should be able to offer a 'clear' anodize. But be aware that any type of anodizing actually changes the surface at a molecular level, so won't come back looking exactly the same as when you handed it over. And threads need protecting or they may end up too tight!

But hey! My granny used to polish all the silver and brass ware in her house every two weeks! So you now have an excuse to strip, polish , and re-assemble your Avante every fortnight! LOL! :(

Don't do any of > this < unless you're miles away from your house and anything valuable!! :P;)

what's there to polish on an Avante apart from the ballends? :(

for those... i chucked on a threaded rod (4mm? 5mm?) onto my cordless drill

and screwed a ballend on, then spun it whilst wadded in a polish-loaded cloth.

Just normal metal polish like Autosol.

Don't polish the shocks as the colour anodising will disappear.

i did 3 or 4 cars worth of ballends all at one go some yrs ago... didn't take too long.

As for polishing parts in general, using a Dremel is bleeding EXPENSIVE to keep buying those little white blobs.

You're better off buying a small benchgrinder and fitting a polishing bonnet to it, it will last you a very long time.

I just use Autosol with a cotton cloth. Put loads on, rub like crazy and then buff to a high mirrir finish!!!

It does make your fingers bleed with the small bits. but its so worth it!!!

Or you could get the parts 'bead blasted', which is a much softer method than 'sand blasting'. But, thats if you can find somewhere to do it for you at a reasonable price!

Ive used Autosol.Rubbed it in all over with an old toothbrush,then polished with a stiff piece of sponge.The corners of the sponge can get into the angles,or you can cut it.Then just a quick buff with a cloth.

when i did the Avantes i used Autosol, but lately i've been using "Metal Magic" by Rubbedin.

Its a creamy liquid and smooths better than paste; i think its got less abrasives than Autosol.

(Autosol on 1:1 chrome usually wears thru the plating after a dozen polishes!)

Metal Magic seems to work more on the chemical side - leave it on for a few minutes,

its cleaned the metal well and a gentle buff is all you need to bring out the shine.

The trick to keeping your Avante shiny... DON'T TOUCH the polished metal with your sweaty greasy paws. :lol:

Thanks for all of the ideas guys, I havent received mine yet, but once I do I will post pics as I go.