richard.tufty

Twin Front Suspension Upgrade For Boomerand/super Sabre

Can anyone help with the part number or proper name for the upgrade parts to make a dual front shock system for the Boomerang please?

I've been searching around, but I'm obviously using the wrong search terms on here and fleabay, cos I can't find any reference to it.

Cheers,

Richard

50305 CVA SHORT SHOCK UNIT SET might be the one you need, looks like just

a pair of yellow CVAs but it includes the hardware for mounting to Hotshot etc.

Not sure if this is what your looking for: ebay linky. (Bidding is now finished, but the link ie enclosed so that you may be able to get the parts number).

Contents Included & Description:

This is a high performance suspension parts set for upgrading the R/C off road buggy Hotshot 4WD. This set includes parts for 4x Coil Spring over oil filled shock absorbers, damper oil, metal parts necessary for assembly. The front and rear damper coil springs are 3 way adjustable and the 3 step damper adjustment at the piston head enables suspension tuning for various road conditions. Additional adjustment of the shock absorber is achieved when altering the type of Tamiya Damper Oil used (sold separately)

Requires only a screwdriver for installation.

Installation Manual Included

Designed for use with:

Item 58047 | Hotshot (Hot Shot)

Item 58054 | Super Shot (Supershot)

Item 58391 | Hotshot 2007 (Re-Release)

Doesn't list them as able to fit the Boomerang, but I know thw Boomerang is very similar to the Hotshot - maybe another member could clarify whether or not they'll fit?

Cheers,

TSC.

That's the full conversion set for the Hotshot and Supershot and includes the rear shocks and rear mounting hardware that doesn't fit on the Boomerang.

The 50305 shock set just includes the front shocks and the parts needed for mounting them on any of the range.

That's the full conversion set for the Hotshot and Supershot and includes the rear shocks and rear mounting hardware that doesn't fit on the Boomerang.

The 50305 shock set just includes the front shocks and the parts needed for mounting them on any of the range.

Brilliant, thanks to all for your help!

There is also this site that was mentioned in another thread.

Seems like they are making the metal brackets you need. Still waiting for pics to show up on their site to verify.

There is also this site that was mentioned in another thread.

Seems like they are making the metal brackets you need. Still waiting for pics to show up on their site to verify.

That's an interesting site. The idead of ally arms is nice, I think the main reason I have so much slop in the front is due to the plastic wearing where the large 8mm balls are rubbing on the inside of the arms, enlarging the hole. I've overcome with 2 elastic bands for now, but ally arms is a possibilty...

Thanks for the tip.

don't grease the balls, drylube them... also don't dent them with your screwdriver, dogear'd edges will chew the plastic.

50305 is what you need for fronts... 'cos i bought that pack from jason late last year

Sorry for bringing an old thread up but I been searching all around with out some answers.

I just came back from Canada after many many years in my old home town. There I found I had a Grass Hopper that was modified to a Hornet with all the new bearings, and my Super Saber. It had a Trinity Monster Motor (not brushless) but I think I want to restore this guy.

Will do new Servos and motor but it seems all the modern Brushless are around 54mm. This poses a problem I believe in clearance to the rear suspension shocks.

Any mods or motors suitable? Here I am a bit lost at the moment.

Also if you know of suspension upgrades or better alloy shocks (maybe?). 

I will also do the Grass Hopper as I can work with my 3 year old on this. I doubt I will be racing this though at this time but I think it will be a fun project(s).

Thanks,

Shamus

No, majority of today's 1/10 brushless motors will fit fine into cars designed for 540/05 size motors. I run mild brushless in my Hotshot & Sabre runners.

Some "high torque" motors might be 550 sized, they're about 10mm longer than 540. But BiTD there were some 550 brushed motors around, they can fit most Tamiya buggies ok as the motor mostly hangs out the side. Very rarely is the extra length causing problems by touching a tyre etc.

Brushed motors only have 2 wires, brushless have 3 plus sometimes a sensor lead. You want to be routing the cables neatly & prevent them getting damaged. Slightly more difficult on Hornet with its moving gearbox assembly.

1 hour ago, Dersnap said:

Sorry for bringing an old thread up but I been searching all around with out some answers.

I just came back from Canada after many many years in my old home town. There I found I had a Grass Hopper that was modified to a Hornet with all the new bearings, and my Super Saber. It had a Trinity Monster Motor (not brushless) but I think I want to restore this guy.

Will do new Servos and motor but it seems all the modern Brushless are around 54mm. This poses a problem I believe in clearance to the rear suspension shocks.

Any mods or motors suitable? Here I am a bit lost at the moment.

Also if you know of suspension upgrades or better alloy shocks (maybe?). 

I will also do the Grass Hopper as I can work with my 3 year old on this. I doubt I will be racing this though at this time but I think it will be a fun project(s).

Thanks,

Shamus

The best front suspension upgrade you can do to a Super Sabre is to fit the bigwig front end in my opinion. You need the bigwig f parts (arms) and c parts for the towers. They are blue so you might want to spray them black. Best shocks would be tamiya df03 alloy shocks, 53926. With long eyelets on both front and rear shocks they will fit perfectly. Check on ebay for overseas sellers doing them for reasonable prices. 

THX guys for the replies.

As most parts of the SS are removed I will somehow figure out how to get a Brushless in. I know an ESC is needed and other parts.

Interesting on the suspension.

Question is the Super shot suspension the same parts for mounting on the rear as it seems it looks similar with the shocks more towards the rear instead of mid body?

That could in theory give more clearance for a larger motor. I will also search out higher torque motors, and maybe even try to find a hobby shop here to go down to.

The Grass Hopper/Hornet seems to have a lot more space for motors but I expect a lot less performance due to its solid rear axel, etc. You can only go so far with that design. Worst case it gets the old Trinity (if it works) as I originally had it on there. Don't have the old analog speed controls or pretty much any parts though, so not so worried.

You could get up and running really cheaply if you stick with brushed. Just search "1060 esc" on ebay and you'll the ESC pretty much everyone uses for brushed. You can pick up a 17t brushed motor for under £10. I had this setup in my boomeranf this summer and it was a nice runner. You don't need to worry about moving the shocks to the back, any modern motor will fit fine. 

Just now, ThunderDragonCy said:

You could get up and running really cheaply if you stick with brushed. Just search "1060 esc" on ebay and you'll the ESC pretty much everyone uses for brushed. You can pick up a 17t brushed motor for under £10. I had this setup in my boomeranf this summer and it was a nice runner. You don't need to worry about moving the shocks to the back, any modern motor will fit fine. 

I don't need to be that cheap :) I am expecting about 160 euros or so for the Motor, esc combo if I can get it to perform. Reading through the Big Wig upgrades people have done now. 

52 minutes ago, Dersnap said:

Question is the Super shot suspension the same parts for mounting on the rear as it seems it looks similar with the shocks more towards the rear instead of mid body?

The Super Shot (and Hot Shot H.P. Suspension set) use a different arrangement than the Super Sabre. The rear tower is added onto the rear gearbox via an adapter bracket. It's more intended for the Hot Shot/Super Shot side of that buggy range. The lower suspension arms are different than the Super Sabre's as well. Additional brackets were added to the Hot Shot lower arms to provide a lower attachment point for the rear shocks.

35 minutes ago, Dersnap said:

I don't need to be that cheap :) I am expecting about 160 euros or so for the Motor, esc combo if I can get it to perform. Reading through the Big Wig upgrades people have done now. 

Unless you are buying batteries as well there's no need to go that pricey unless you want to. Hobbywing 10BL120 esc is brilliant and there are any number of motors for under 50 euros. 

46 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Unless you are buying batteries as well there's no need to go that pricey unless you want to. Hobbywing 10BL120 esc is brilliant and there are any number of motors for under 50 euros. 

I will go with new batteries and charger and eventually will also go for a brand new build. Maybe an Team Associates 4WD in the future. Still I like the challenge of making older stuff go as far as it can in performance. I do it also with Turntables, Speakers, synthesizers which is more my main passion. But anything mechanical and much cheaper than a real Porsche :D

I would restore the rare Super Sabre and buy a re re Bigwig to go crazy brushless with

Super Sabres are rare due to the next gen Thundershot being already released, not many bought the Sabre

So I am going through and cleaning this car and noticing and marking down missing parts.

Most seem to be there but the Battery Door is totally gone and of course the Pin to hold it closed.

What is an alternative or upgrade option?

In LIPRO what size battery would fit? Seems there is so many more options these days.

Last question for the moment if anyone can answer is in regards to the propeller shaft. Is there a better option?

My Trinity motor also does not seem to be working as I tested it with some batteries here just to see if it still moves.

Big Wig suspension upgrade does this require changing the whole front Universal? My understanding the Big Wig had geared steering?

1 hour ago, Dersnap said:

So I am going through and cleaning this car and noticing and marking down missing parts.

Most seem to be there but the Battery Door is totally gone and of course the Pin to hold it closed.

What is an alternative or upgrade option?

In LIPRO what size battery would fit? Seems there is so many more options these days.

Last question for the moment if anyone can answer is in regards to the propeller shaft. Is there a better option?

My Trinity motor also does not seem to be working as I tested it with some batteries here just to see if it still moves.

Big Wig suspension upgrade does this require changing the whole front Universal? My understanding the Big Wig had geared steering?

I don't think there is an alternative for the battery door and pin. Stick shape lipo like the Core RC one work. 

Prop shaft upgrade is easy - just get the super hotshot aluminium prop shaft and gearbox outdrives. Parts numbers are at the back of the super hotsjot rere manual. Google it. 

For Bigwig front shocks you don't need to change the steeering, you just need the shock towers and the front arms (f parts). 

11 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I don't think there is an alternative for the battery door and pin. Stick shape lipo like the Core RC one work. 

Prop shaft upgrade is easy - just get the super hotshot aluminium prop shaft and gearbox outdrives. Parts numbers are at the back of the super hotsjot rere manual. Google it. 

For Bigwig front shocks you don't need to change the steeering, you just need the shock towers and the front arms (f parts). 

Thanks that gives me a good direction.

I noticed there is an aluminium Rear Shock and Front shock Big Wig mount. When I was comparing the Big Wig Manual to the Super Saber I noticed the part that connects to the Differential is slightly different. I think A6 on Super Saber for the Strut mounts vs C6. Is that the only real difference in the differentials ?

Searching the other parts :) 

29 minutes ago, Dersnap said:

Thanks that gives me a good direction.

I noticed there is an aluminium Rear Shock and Front shock Big Wig mount. When I was comparing the Big Wig Manual to the Super Saber I noticed the part that connects to the Differential is slightly different. I think A6 on Super Saber for the Strut mounts vs C6. Is that the only real difference in the differentials ?

Searching the other parts :) 

Not sure about diffs or that level of detail. I only connverted a vintage Boomerang to bigwig suspension. Have a read of my build thread. It might help. 

What is the actual suspension series that works?

DF-01, 02? 

I managed to get the new battery door but of course not with the actual Pin to close it. Not sure what part for this as I been also searching.

Got a new prop shaft from Hop Up. Really nice but too long so I will have to exchange this. 

But I see YEAH Racing has a bunch of suspensions in alloy that look really cool if one could fit.