Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

Avante Mkii Wheels On An Original

Well im in the process of gathering parts for an avante restore. Been debating on getting a set of the MKII wheels, painting the centers black and using them on the MK1. What do u guys think?

I don't really like either of the wheel/tire combo's... The avante MKII's has too low profile tires (especially on the rear) and the tires look like you can eat them. The avante MKI tires more look like they want to eat you (or the track) but although the wheels fit the car, I don't really like them... ;) I would advice to search for brutal tires especially, and I think the wheels of an Avante MKII with black centres would look amazing, but with other tires... :)

For a runner, definently use MKIIwheels & tires. The tires are 100 times better for both on & off road. The original Avante pin-spike tires are pretty much only good for sand & super loose dirt. And the only other tires that fit the original 2" wheels (that can still be purchased from Tamiya) are wide-stud spikes from the Avante 2001. Not to great either...

my brother did just what you described with his Avante runner. It does look a bit weird but the grip is fantastic with the modern 2.2 tires.

It doesn't look bad, I like it!