thesuper

question about the TA03R chassis (rally related)

use a paper holepunch to make the hole in foam, makes a nice frictionfit 5mm hole

Willychang - Yeah I think I would use my hole punch that I use for my bodyholes that should work fine no probs and I have used it to cut holes in the foam blocks on the bodymounts before but got bored in recent attempts so just shoved them on lol.

thesuper- Well thats good to hear, I should heopfully be able to get +4/5mm on each side with wheel offset as Im using an MO4 chassis as a base for a schlesser project. - see the guess the build thread.

Cheers

Ryck

Wrc action...i had a similar idea for an 037 so i'll book mark that thread to see what i need to look out for.....

Cheers the thesuper, It should be an interesting project, Im looking to share suspension with my other cars if i can in order to keep the overall parts list in my spares box down as low as possible,

Do you know if I can buy the M chassis space parts separately?

Also new GT tuned motor has arrived for my TB01 which is going to need to get ready for reading that will hopefully be dry tho very wet underfoot so im looking to change the shell to one without lights as otehrwise my TB01 lightbucks might well get drenched, Also time for a splash gaurd me thinks!

Cheers

Ryck

Wrc action....that spacer for the M03 is part number....50799

but you need the M04 right? it comes with the kit as is a spare that's not used. did you save everything?

GT tuned are really nice. i liked mine lots until the end bell popped off the can in a bad crash.....heheheh

----------------------------------------

a slight up date to the TB02. took it out today for a short 30 minute run and it's still great. corners well....at high and low speeds. everything about it is really nice.

now for a short update about my brother's Suzuki Swift/Peugeot 306 Maxi.....

work began......the trans at the far right had some bad pots....luckily there's tower hobbies. my bro bought a trans with rec and two servos. i bought the servos from him and after that sale......his total cost was $24.....true...it's a basic one but i've seen the features of the 2PL and honestly.....these simpler ones make more sense to me......

2207562811_6757413945_b.jpg

this is the new trans....came with a MUCH smaller rec. and that was cool......

2207563919_f4fcd1fd2d_b.jpg

the almost finished chassis....waiting on body mounts and servo taping the esc and rec. to the inside.....

2208369006_49a4e8a24e_b.jpg

2208367680_07df6044c8_b.jpg

2208366252_82e815bf0b_b.jpg

2207572861_80f8030208_b.jpg

these are temp springs......

2207571637_a909f66c73_b.jpg

2207565349_e8197dd251_b.jpg

2208358802_20fb68f31a_b.jpg

a bit of an odd stance for the upper arms but it works...this is per the manual for the long arm kit......

2207567737_3ee4c8f386_b.jpg

the GT Tuned....

2207570181_466651a7b9_b.jpg

the high torque servo and heat sink.......

2207568861_4f26246bf7_b.jpg

thesuper - Yeah mine is an MO4 but it needs to be full length 257 so I needed another spacer that Mad Ax very kindly sent me so all should be sorted on that now.

Interested ride there how wide does the TL01 LA set compare with the normal TL01 set as I think i am going to have to change to TL01 suspension as the hubs on the TB01 set are to short on there arms and have therefore left the steering geometry out and also means that they catch on the chassis with the angles.

Good to see a GT tuned motor in there tho :)

cheers

Ryck

Managed to get back in time to take some proper pictures of the TB01 in rally spec outside. This is very much my final spec for now as with thesuper I feel that I have got to the limit of the cars capabilities with the hotups that tamiya provide.

The spec is as follows.

- Full LA set

- Aluminium steering.

- Aluminium Suspension mounts,

- Limited slip rear gear diff by addition of spacing ring

- Lengthend tamiya CVA shocks with the hard progresive springs (Blue) from the TG10 optional springs set.

- Full front and rear universal Drive shafts.

- GT tuned motor with 3 racing heatsink.

- Light weight diff gears tho I have kept the steel stock prop shaft as the light ones begin to wear and slip on the rear end.

- Fully adjustable threaded front and rear rods and steering rods.

- Extra large front low density foam bumper that goes right upto the shell.

- Impreza 2007 Wrc shell with front and rear lights. the pods are now secured with 3mm threaded screws in order to make sure that they dont fall out like what has happened when using the servo tape.

- +2mm offset wheels with inserts and kyosho tyres with a slightly softer compound than the tamiya ones.

- 4 red spacers from the front of the TB02 to just eek out the wheels to the right width of the bodyshell.

- GT tuned motor for long run times and good all round performance.

- 40mhz acoms radio set, TEU-101Bk and also an AS-16 servo for reliable and simple control gear.

the only future options that I will consider are adjustable turnbuckles and also potentially rebuilding the upper links to cut down on all the slop.

1-rearside.jpg

2-frontend.jpg

3-rearcorner.jpg

perfect width now.

4-chassissection.jpg

5-frontsuspension.jpg

6-rearsuspension.jpg

7-underprotectiono.jpg

8-frontend.jpg

9-tyrechoice.jpg

tyre choice

10-onthetransportertotherally.jpg

on the back of our new trailer with knight hauler project on the way to the rally stage.

Wrc action...the TB01 looks great. this and the trailer would be perfect with the rally nuts from CZ. http://www.mz-racing.net/foto/2007/foto2007.htm

i can see from the bumper that this has seen some heavy rally action. any troubles yet with any of it?

et al......well....we FINALLY got out to have a good hard drive this weekend. the focus was on the drive so no pics of the drive but i'll post pics of the aftermath.....yes...there was a bit of minor damage.

first i have to take the pics so i'll post in a bit........

thesuper - Yeah there has been some good hard rally action and as yet no problems to note *touch wood* my Gt tuned motor tho needs replacing but its done a good 4/5 months so Im not to bothered about it, just lost its edge overall so got a new one on the side to fit into it as and when i get time.

The front end is actually something that I am really pleased with as it has a lot of give thanks to the soft nature of the foam. Also due to the relatively flat nature of the 07 impreza's lower grill and valance so it flexes well and doesnt split unlike the 2003 impreza which with its really defined lower and upper grills cracked very easily. The only issue that I have with it is when running in the wet espically on wet grass then the foam gets saturated with water, not enough to affect that handling but enough to be of an annoyance when bringing that car back in doors.

look forward to hearing about your run and hope your damage wasnt to bad, Not like my touareg diff outdrives lol.

cheers

Ryck

et al.....wel.....i WAS going to take pics and then some things came up and i had to attend to those.....

so first up a short report on performance.

the TB01 and Tb02 had the same everything. rather than list everything, just know that they were identical in every way _possible_.

the first few minutes clearly showed the TB01 was faster in and out of corners even thought all the wheel settings were identical. same tire compound and so on. even if i was careful about my speed and where i put my tires with the TB02, the TB01 was still more agile.

the Tb02 did have a new motor and as soon as the brushes got seated the things really started to pick up speed. even though the two were geared the same, the TB02 was faster in a straight line.

in all other aspects they were the same. stability, predictable when they broke free, and best of all.....no issues with anything. the only thing was some small bits of bark did get sucked up into the open pinion/spur of the TB01.

other than that it was a trouble free run.

as for the TB02. it's really nice. VERY stable and with the rear diff a bit tighter than the front....the back end can be broken free easily to get the car pointing the right direction. there was a bit of understeer but that's ok since i was still getting used to the car. no stripped anything and no issues with the drive shaft.

i really like it for on road use. i'm not sure i'm going to find trying to getting it ready for off road rally so fun. there are lots of holes where dirt can get in. but maybe that's ok and i'll just make a shield to help keep the car from gaining a while lot of weight from the accumulation of dirt...rather than trying to keep it out altogether.

so last...some shots......

my brother's TB01...while looking more like a road car...has a tank-like underside......

the TG10 bumper did really well at protecting the car when he cut the corners......

2236217681_74934636b9_b.jpg

this was the only real damage that he had....

2236218577_e354f37c8e_b.jpg

i, on the other hand, flipped the car several times and scratched up the newly stickered shell.....ack!

worse yet....i didn't see these pieces of steel bar sticking up from between the brick and.....

2236220329_e562cf1c54_b.jpg

the car was going quite fast....i heard a smack and then it spun to a stop. right after i go going again i misjudged a corner and smacked a steel sign post.....the wheels were stuck turned to one side and i figured i'd broken something that would cost a bit to replace. turns out....the wheel hit the pole...the pole pitched the wheel so far sideways that it caused the driveshaft to pop out of the axle. wow! takes a lot to pop them out with the longer 42mm driveshafts. that's good though.

wrc, no clicking noises. no noises at all in fact. this one was very silent running.

the bumper did it's job well.....more evidence of cutting...

2236221493_18e9cb0a1a_b.jpg

some of these square edges caught on stuff.....

2237012186_4b7d6d428f_b.jpg

and on a side note....my brother bought some new tires and wheels for the dirt....i'd had these before and noticed that they spun out a lot.....maybe they are best suited to pure dirt and not a rocky environ. we'll see......

2236219285_abd3fc364f_b.jpg

thesuper.

Yeah I have to agree from when I had my TB02 it did have a tendancy to understeer and go flat quite often due to the limited overall suspension stroke compared to the TB01. I also found that it was less stable over the rough tarmac bumps and kirbs that we have on our tarmac rally here. It always seemd to be a little more unsettled by these changes compared to the TB01 that tho slower in a straight line seemed to be much more compliant over the bumps and had no issues with going up or down kirbs at any angle.

The TB02 is a very quite chassis, I just think that my clicking sound is the chewed up cup joint on the left hand side at the rear. something that I will need to sort out in time.

I see the bottom of your chassis has ended up very much like mine on the Touareg. The sharp edges all rounded off and battered. I think I am going to invest in creating some underside protection espically to the front edge of the rear lower arms as I can see those really taking a pounding as gravel and dirt is sucked up under the car and hits them as the pressure changes.

I have been thinking about my cars and about having a specific on road and off road car of which the on road one would also be used with a different shell for bashing at college on the lower playgound which has no grip and is covered in grit and gravel as its old tarmac. So I think I will be after another TB01 car to form the base of this, does anyone have one lying around?

cheers

Ryck

Hello,

I've been reading through alot of this and its very interesting, im going to buy a TT01 Impreza as soon as i get the money. Hopefully ill be able to make it performn as well as some rally rigs on here.

well best of luck, as I said to another new member on my touareg dakar thread with regards to rallying a Tb02, Dont expect to get what u want the first time you try, its a long development road to these mods and setting things up how u want.

Just remember that tho u can add loads of bits at the same time e.g. new diffs or something so you can only go to the fine detail setup adjustments by changing one item at a time and seeing its effect be that positive or negative.

Best Wishes

Ryck

I am not that piccy when it comes to setting up runners. As long as my rally cars are high off the ground and go around corners I am happy. I leave all the setting up for when I am at the track on race nights.

Hi everyone,I have read all the pages and thrilling.Very nice jobs done and very informative.And also got me more confused:)) After seeing Fantuzzis "luxury WRC" I thought that might also a good option.

Let me explain the problem I have here in Spain.Unfortunately the Tamiya distributor in Spain is very ******,they dont import any kits,just some of the XB series cars are sold and the parts cant be found also.So because of that I dont have the option to go to my lhs,look at the parts and make decisions,so it is more like shooting blind.

There are a lot of second hand toruing chasis,xrays,r40s,tf5s,trfs,etc and I might try this option also. What is your opinion on belt driven tourings,since that there are belt driven offroad cars also.

Also another option could be getting the dark impact chasis and go modifying it,since it is a sure bet that it is way better than TT01.I dont mind doing some dremel work also. So anybody knows if there is any lower arm set from tamiya that will fit the DF03 chasis and also universals.

Regards to all.

as they say there is more than one way to skin the perverbial cat :L

Well fear your not alone our Uk importer is far from top marks in my opinion, Tho at least we can get most stuff and espically when its put on order things are pretty good tho long winded so best for spares "in case" it breaks.

As for using a trf/xray etc I would steer clear of them for on road rallying as they are often not "tough" enough with regards dealing with the chassis impacts and bumps as well as providing a safe area for your precious radio gear. As for off roading with them I would run a mile as open belts espically on modern touring cars are very exposed and will prove very troublesome in getting them all covered up and secure.

For using a Dark Impact I wouldnt know what fits as I haven't looked into it before however I would note that your resulting car would have a very rearward weight bias and be unsuitable for all the saloon rally cars due to the cars design with the larger rear gearbox design and motor mount.

Personally I would look on ebay, perhaps a Tb01/02 or similar.

Any TB02 updates thesuper????

Well yes the onroads arent very sturdy as the others,but I will not be hardcore-bashing the anyways plus I would take protection precautions. And since seeing the TB EVO converted rally cars,I tought that it will make more sense buying a second hand similar car for around 150-200 dollars instead of getting a NIB tb02 for 100+shipping and spending more upgrading it.

More comments are welcome,specially from fellow members who have made the TB EVO conversion.

The TB02 is effectively a plastic TB Evo with the same drivetrain and suspension just a better tub that is easier to seal with an upper cover like those from the TB01 or a simple tupper ware pot.

Also all this protection precautions is just going to add weight to the car and as thus increase loads and the need for more power and traction. Why bother when u can get cars with it all already :P

Well I thourght that this old thread needed a update. I have finally managed to find a good gravel car park for scale rallying that my dad and I can use. Its about 5 miles away so a quick drive and has that lovely fine loose gravel on a packed dirt and rock base, there are some huge bumps about in scale as well as pot holes and the odd roving stone/rock that is soon swept of the main line.

we are running slightly different specs of car the main difference being myself having the Long Arm suspension set and my father using the stock suspenion with wide axles. At the moment we are trying to adjust Dads TB01 to work well on the gravel as its was and still is relatively skitish and delicate in its handling. The main part of the reason we found tho was in swapping tyres.

My rally tyres which are a kyosho block like those below 9-tyrechoice.jpg

We found where a great improvement in the bends with the lateral grip when compared to the Tamiya ones which where very lacking in lateral grip and espically in the slow corners lead to a lot of sideways and many spins exiting as the rear spun round, You had to delay the power delivery until you where in a straight line. However once you where in a straight line the stock tamiya tyres where clearly superior in drive and gave the car with those tyre the legs on the other car by some considerable margin.

Also an interesting point was a change in shells by me from a lancia Delta to my Impreza 07 saw a real change in handling characteristics espically in the higher speed sections where the impreza's large rear wing with lateral downforce allowed you to be much more aggressive with the high speed corners and not have to keep correcting the rear steping out as you came through, I managed to snap a few shots tho the camera then decided to die, perhaps more next time when I charge it :L

The Delta with the tamiya tyres was a handful, even on my LA suspension.

deltastationary.jpg

Probably the Only good action shot but its :P

Deltadeparting.jpg

The Impreza shell really calmed the car down and made it much more stable in the high speed sections.

Impreza07Stationary.jpg

This was an offending bit of Bed rock that pitched me 360 degrees as it was on the outside of a corner, Thankfully the Tb01 is strong enough to take such impacts but I doubt my TB02 wouldve!

Imprezaandtheoffendingbedrock.jpg

theoffendingbedrock.jpg

There where a few dust issues in the cockpit today :)

itgotratherdusty-1.jpg

sneakingoutofshot.jpg

offroundthetrack.jpg

blastjustmissedthelancia.jpg

Next we are going to look at getting Dads TB01 with the stock suspension upto the kind of level as mine, Tho I think it is clear that over the really rough stuff and in the ruts that the LA set has a clear advantage in being able to work the tyres and shocks better making it incredibly stable considering the angle of some of the jumps and kick up thats I was pulling coming into a hairpin, and everytime it landed dead straight, composed itself and turned in so much better than it would even do on tarmac!

Does anyone know what spacer I need to make a mini upto the length of the suzuki swift?

Cheers

Ryck

Since there is a lot of talk about Rallying lately, I thought it would be good to dig this up again. Now I am wondering what happened to all of the guys who used to post in this thread.

after being out of the rc thing for a while it seems things have settled in away that should allow me more time to rally.

the rc thing conflicted with cycling (i just ride lots of miles for fun, no racing) and for the last few years i've been riding a ton so that meant rc was put aside for a while. rc will always lose out to a long 60+ mile ride. which is unfortunate 'cause i enjoy both equally.

so now i've got a bit more time and my brother and i still have our chassis' (TB01, TA03, M04, M03, TB02, and a few others in my showroom) so why not?

4629411269_d14d135fd5.jpg

4629407165_23e64bff6b_o.jpg

4630098220_6e454f96eb_o.jpg

2060661181_32050a82b9.jpg

4630095868_3b71dcc8ed_o.jpg

a couple of years ago, my brother bought the house next door and so the back yard is now twice the size. the dog loves it but even more, we dig it cause it means we can re-cut a new track.

we had a track years ago but it was a bit small to really let the cars have room to run. once the fence between the properties came down we started talking about a rally course.

pics that are too small, of the old course...

4630233642_ffaa3ea560.jpg

4629632593_f88744af7a.jpg

4629374529_f9366c8b5a.jpg

4629374349_ccf1751061.jpg

4629975730_95ed17a92b.jpg

the problem with the old course usually was that some of the corners were a bit too tight. there should be a few of those but with the 1/10th scale cars it was a bit tough to get through some places. so we'll be planning things out better this time.

after some heavy rain the grass is full and in need of a cut. maybe next week we'll have the start if it trimmed down with the mower and then finish the course with the weedwacker. the area we're working with is about 100 feet by 30-35 feet so there's plenty of room for lots of cool features.....but....we'll be mostly focusing on a rally type course. maybe a jump or two, some areas where it'll be a challenge to keep speed and direction, some short cuts, stuff like that. we're starting with an all dirt course first since that worked out best originally. we may add section of tarmac later on.

if anyone has any ideas about features they've seen or think would be cool for this track, feel free to post. we're going for some scale so nothing too nuts. just keep in mind that's it a rally course.

the majority of the pics in this thread that i posted are on photobucket. i've grown to hate photobucket since it's super cluttered with ads and pull down option and on top of that the rather confusing options and limited lay out. i'm in the process of moving all the photos from photobucket to flickr. flickr has more simple layout and no ads of any type and offers lots of useful options with regards to photo management.

if you want to browse the photos you can do so here....

i hope that the people who posted here and the rally fans are still around.

lastly, these guys rule! we're not going to get to this level but it's still amazing to see their work. great stuff!

thesuper

- Nice to see this thread has been revived. I scan the forums from time to time these days and post the odd trade as Im slowly selling off a lot of my stuff as being a uni student now I just don't get the chance to play around as much as a I used to with the small cars as I have my big car to keep me out of trouble :)

I have still got the Schlesser buggy that I hope to get out on the beach soon and hope to get my hands on another new 4 wheel drive machine maybe the newer racing lancer to replace my TB01 and TT01 that I have moved on recently.

I look forward to seeing some pics of the cars on the new track.

Cheers

Ryck

Wrc action...ahh university...ladies and parties and cake sometimes. oh, and the learning too.

thinning out the collection? never a bad idea. i hate to see them sit unused too long.

et al...this is a perimeter cut. we didn't get a chance to figure out how to connect it since there is some question as to what path would be best. but that'll sort out soon enough.

with the perimeter in place we can get a better idea of where there is room to put what features inside and how much to wider the perimeter and what sorts of corners at each of it's ends.

it's been raining a lot so everything is just exploding in growth which is nice since it means we'll have a nice defined edge around the track that should strand the the car if it goes off.

the ground out here isn't totally flat as there are places that collect rain. this works out since there will be slight compressions and crests that should pair well with top speeds. at the far end of this corner there is a decent compression. drops gradually about 4 inches so it's not a rut. and just before the corner in one direction should be interesting and at the exist of the same in the other direction.

4640515117_3331821bc0_b.jpg

that same corner on the right in the photo. again, it's one pass with the mower so we'll widen things up later and trim down to the dirt to finish.

4641122022_6ff826e1c6_b.jpg

from the far corner in the previous photo looking down towards the other end. lots of small gradual compressions and crests here too.

4641124592_322f7d8187_b.jpg

at the end of the long section in the previous pic...

4640517637_7e330160fd_b.jpg

the last corner to the current end...

4640519159_1650be91bd_b.jpg

more progress this weekend....

Any updates on the layout? I am hoping you added some more technical sections.