Sign in to follow this  
akemag

Ground Clearance On Tt-01 Lancia And Xb Mini?

Does the TT-01 Lancia Delta body have enough ground clearance to cope with som minor stones on the pavement. After all its a "Rally" version. And the same with the XB Mini Cooper Monte Carlo. Ive been wanting both of these for ages now.

But can they handle more than really flat surfaces?

Not sure about the TT-01 yet, but the old mans just bought the lancia.

The M chassis though...

You can increase the ground clearance a fair bit with longer shocks, but there are issues..

You need to trim the lower arms where they foul the uprights.

The right side steering rod hits the top of the gearbox.

You get loads of positive camber.

I have managed to solve all of these but I haven't assemblied it yet. I am using a swift shell with 1/10th sized wheels.

my monte carlo mini is NOT for off-roading, that's for sure. its hard enough to run on tarmac without damaging the undercarriage and any small stones, cracks in pavement or debris will hit the body and crack it. but then again, i'm a bit picky about things like that. i've seen people just thrash a tt-01 offroad with just a few mods though. raise the ride height by adjusting the shocks, get some ralleye tires and raise the body a bit, you're good to go.

It does say on the boxes of TT-01 kits that they are for "On-Road Use Only".

If it is on a made-up road or pavement with small stones then I think the cars are fine. But on an unmade road they will either get beached or thrown up in the air!.

yes, i should qualify what i said about the tt-01 and off-roading. the ones i've seen are on relatively flat dirt surfaces and NOT true off-road conditions with huge ruts, jumps or terrain changes. it was just an empty lot that was reasonably flat and packed. i've also seen them on hard packed sand and they are like little ralleye drifters ;)

i don't think i would try serious off-roading with one, and jumping is right out of the question. and the only way you will ever go crawling with one is if you take the body off it and stick it on a truck :mellow: i shouldn't laugh, i actually saw a monte carlo mini shell on a monster / crawler and it was kinda cool looking. terrible thing to do to such a gorgeous shell, but hey, whatever makes you happy.

to be fair both these cars would make ok light gravel racers with a few mods. as mentioned by Butler with regards the MO3 which is the base of the mini both here and in his development thread on the forum its capable tho as with all scale rally cars flawed to a degree in that u need scale terrain that is easier said than found.

For the TT01 the same applies tho the major limiting factor here is the fisher price dogbones and the design of the front suspension. To be fair you would be better getting the kit, selling the chassis and using something such as the TA02, TL01, TB01 etc with much better suspension.

best Wishes

Ryck

fisher price dogbones :lol:

so funny because its so true! thanks, mate i needed that. :)

Thanks guys, i was planning to use it on tarmac only i guess. Perhaps with som minor bumps. The Lancia seems to have somewhat better clearance and i could use some longer springs to make it a bit higher as you suggested.

The Mini seems lower, but it can be fixed i now see!

I like both, and have for a long time now. Ill have to think it over again which to get, if not both...

Thanks again for you info!