Nick83

Who Has A Lunchbox?

I was watching some clips of the Lunchbox on youtube, and i was shocked at how fun these things looked! Are they really that much fun?

I always thought they kind of looked stupid, but after seeing these videos, I really want one. In fact, I think it might be my next purchase.

So, tell me about them.

The Lunchbox and midnight pumpkin are really underated vehicles. Most collectors scoff because of their high plastic content. I had one back in the day and loved it So when I started collecting, I new I wanted one in my collection.

I have a new built Lunchbox that I have only ran once but my runner pumpkin gets beat quite often. I run a 15T in it and the acceleration is ballistic.

I highly recomend you get one. Out of the box they perform well. I would recomend bearings and CVA oil filled dampers although it is fun to drive them with the stock pogo stick shocks.

A search of the forums and showrooms will show the more common hop ups. strut tower braces and third shock hop ups.

We had a car park bash on Sunday, 3 rally cars and a lunch box. The first race ended in a mess because we were all bent double with laughter.

Lunch box was either on its back wheels or on its roof.

They are comically useless. But thats not the point.

I love my VLB its a great runner/basher and once a few mods are done is not to bad to drive.

hopefully have pics of it up soon as ive done something fun to the body.

The VLB is the coolest, funniest RC Car ever. period. Buy one and you won't be disappointed, it's a breath of fresh air in a worlds of frustrating RC performance and complexity!!!

Paul

lol @ Shodog pogo stick shocks quote :-) I will use that as if it is my own from now on ;-)

Paul.

I can well recommend either a VLB or Pumpkin (I have one of each). They are cheap to buy, easy to upgrade and massive fun. Try one with bearings and a hot motor (19 turns works for me) and you won't be disappointed!

I fell in love with the Lunchbox boxart when I was a kid, the Lunchie and Pumpkin were two models that I lusted after for years but never bought.

When the re-res came out, I bought a chrome pumpkin - boy, am I glad I didn't buy one as a kid! At that age I wanted speed, control, performance, and hi-tech fun - I'd have been very disappointed. The Lunchie and Pumpkin are not hi-tech! They are big, simple toys! If you want something that will wheelie, roll, bounce, and generally look very silly, go for it - and you won't be disappointed.

Point to make - they are not monster trucks, they are stunt trucks. Pers'nally it wasn't for me and I sold mine, but I can definately see why many people love them. On tarmac and gravel they are a riot :lol:

I'm torn on buying one too.

I really want the new Toyota Highlux but that's not going to happen any time soon. I really like the Van body of the Lunchbox, but I also love the body and driver figure of the Wild Willy and I had an original as a kid. What's every one's take on the differences between these two Re Re's?

Dude, I'll just say, get the Hilux first. That is a serious, high quality item right there. Yeah, getting it and all the accessories is pretty expensive, but it will last forever. That thing will take a lifetime of beatings. Once you lock the differentials, that thing will go just about anywhere you can imagine taking it.

i havent got the lunchbox but i have got a pumpkin and its the most fun i`ve had r/c wise,dark impacts and brats and all the rest go like the privvy door when the plauges in town(yes i have been watching blackadder dvds)but the pumpkin/vlb in box standard form is one of the best bashing tamiyas around.imo of course

The Lunchbox is awesome. Buy it. Don't think; just buy it. Trust me. Your face will be sore from grinning after the first battery pack.

Just don't paint it yellow.

The Lunchbox is awesome. Buy it. Don't think; just buy it. Trust me. Your face will be sore from grinning after the first battery pack.

Just don't paint it yellow.

Why is that? I think my Box Art Lunchbox looks fantastic :lol:

I still need to get better softer dampers and maybe do the 3 shock mod

Yep, the Lunchbox is particularly stupid. And great fun! In fact, it's the daftness of the truck which make it so good; performance is questionable, steering under power is non existant and as for handling generally... well, there's not much of that either :lol: .

My basher LB is one of my most driven Tamiyas, it is pretty tough, will keep going for ages on a single charge, and if you can gather with a few other LB owners you will have the most fun race imaginable. Just remember if you paint it yellow box art that you musn't take your eye off the track for a second, or you forget which one of the yellow ones is yours.

I thoroughly recommend it, go buy one now and you won't regret it B) .

I thought the whole point was that it wouldn't matter which one you were driving as it would under steer, bump steer, be unresponsive, wheelie all the time whichever one you were controlling/looking at :-)

Hehe, quite right Loaded, you never quite know which one you're driving or "controlling" (in the loosest sense of the word LOL). In fact, the last time I ran my Lunchbox, I broke the steering, and I kept driving for 20 minutes or so just thinking that the steering was a little less responsive than usual. Turned out that I had bent one of the steering arms so badly it had popped out of the servo saver!

That's one part where the re-release is improved; the steering arms are a lot less flimsy than the original. That doesn't make a major difference to the steering accuracy though, which IMO is a good thing!

Why is that? I think my Box Art Lunchbox looks fantastic :lol:

I still need to get better softer dampers and maybe do the 3 shock mod

With such a large area to paint on the side, the Lunchbox is just crying out for something other than boxart. Biggus Ditchus has a rather nice Red Bull VLB while Brat Attacks has done a fantastic version painted like the Ambulance in Cannonball Run. As for mine, I decided on a delivery van I always look forward to seeing......

img79_05022007183017_1.jpg

Oh, and I recommend getting the VLB over both the Hilux and Wild Willy. The WW is just too unruly to drive while it's unlikely you'll have as much fun with the Toyota.

With such a large area to paint on the side, the Lunchbox is just crying out for something other than boxart.

I totally agree. Box art is nice but to do something different is cooler

img34_228200391051_1.jpg

I went to my local hobby shop to get a buggy and for some reason when i got to the counter the words "Lunchbox Please" came out of my mouth. Sat in the car on the way home i was thinking why ? why ? But after building it and painting it i am glad i got it and this weekend i am taking it for its first outing

LB%201.jpg

Out of all my cars, the VLB is by far the most fun. Even though I stole the body for another project, the chassis is still very much a Lunchbox with way way way too much power bolted in (MM 5700Kv). I love it!!

img20319_10022009230059_1.jpg

Attempting to crawl with a Mamba Lunchbox

have to say i love the lunchbox, i'm not overly an off roader or truck person, but re re lunchbox and the thunder shot (as it was first tamiya i used, my cousin lent me it)

over next few months i'd like to get hold of one of each even in standard trim for the build and to run/mod over time