Sign in to follow this  
Wireless

Kyosho 2wd Competition Buggies

Hi chaps,

Just for interest, I have been having a look at 2WD competition buggies from Kyosho, going back to the Ultima. Of the original Ultima line, what models existed...? Plain Jane Ultima for sure, Turbo Ultima also. Was there an Ultima Pro of that same vintage...? After that, I remember Kyosho releasing the Triumph, and then after the Triumph there was another that I can't remember the name of. I seem to recall the name was an acronym. Any ideas...?

Were the Triumph or acronym-boy any good...?

Cheers,

Roop

Hi Roop,

There were two variants of the Ultima Pro, one being an XL version. Was the model after the Triumph a Pro-X or something??

I think there was also an Ultima II and Turbo Ultima II after the original .

Paul

Hi Roop,

There were two variants of the Ultima Pro, one being an XL version. Was the model after the Triumph a Pro-X or something??

Paul

Good effort Paul, cheers. Yeah, Pro-X. That was the one I was thinking of. Wouldn't mind an Ultima / Triumph / Pro-X combo for the shelf. Probably 1500 there for new builts so I might give it a miss...!!!

Im sure there was a Triumph for sale recently. Dont think it was too costly either. The Ultima is a very desirable kit, and does fetch very good money as a NIB (I have both the Ultima and Triumph NIB :lol: ) I have not seen much of the Pro-X kit, so couldn't say the cost on one of those

Im sure there was a Triumph for sale recently. Dont think it was too costly either. The Ultima is a very desirable kit, and does fetch very good money as a NIB (I have both the Ultima and Triumph NIB :lol: ) I have not seen much of the Pro-X kit, so couldn't say the cost on one of those

The Ultimas do fetch good money for sure. As you say, the Triumph does not seem to be sought after and as such is quite cheap. I turned down a NIB one at 100 around 18 months ago. I'd really like new built as I don't want to ruin a NIB kit just for a shelfie, but if Triumphs are cheap enough, then perhaps so.

All pie-in-the sky right now as I have other things that are pressing me for my available funds, plus I bought god-knows how much stuff in the last 2 weeks. *sigh* :lol:

Triumphs and Pro-Xs are pretty rare. There just isn't the demand though. Plus, I don't think they actually "rocked" the 2WD world. They had exotic transmissions and parts were tough to get. I have a Triumph which i purchased NIB for $150 about 5 years ago. My brother picked up a Pro-X sport for $75. It was new built. He added the shocks and a few other bits to make it a Team version.

For a list of the Ultimas and their differences have a look here - Ultimas for dummies

After the Ultima range came the Triumph, way too over engineered and it might have worked in Japan but struggled to work on tracks in Europe and was never competitive except for the odd race team version which bore little relation to the production cars. The Triumph was followed by the Pro-X which was almost as bad, but it was too late to save Kyoshos line of 2wd race buggies. Neither were big sellers, which means not many of them about but not many people interested in them either.

The Ultima name was resurrected in 2000 with the Ultima RB Type-R racing buggy. Bearing no connection whatsoever with the original range, even down to having US wheel bearings. Full plastic moulded parts, similar in style to Losi and Associated chassis. This was followed by the Ultima RB Racing Sports, a lower spec version, in 2001 and the RB Type-R Evolution in 2003. There are also nitro and stadium truck versions of these still using the Ultima name.

The latest one is the Ultima RB5, which is a very competitive race chassis, with the aggressive steering of the RC10B4 combined with the stability of a Losi XXX makes it a great racer, just without the numbers of cars out there.

I know it's silly, but I kind of think of the HPI 5B as the last of the Ultima's.... They came from the same pen, and that's obvious...

Same triangulated reliefs in the chassis, body style w/half cage and wing...

When I 1st saw the 5B, I thought "Hmmm 200% 1987 Ultima"....

post-24655-1204760530.jpg

post-24655-1204760545.jpg

Some great replies chaps. The RB5 sounds like a cracking buggy. As for the Baja 5B, I thought the same. It's an inflated Ultima. The Original Ultima as you see in the pics there is such a clean looking car. Really nice.

The Ultima guide for dummies is excellent. Only the original Ultima I'd ever want though. I built one for a mate back when it was first released. I had an Optima at the time and always wanted an Ultima to run in 2WD. I remember that his car came from Preston Model Centre in the UK and cost 191 (The price sticker was on the box). A staggering amout at the time, especially as my Optima had come from HK (yes, I've been importing r/c for over 20 years) and had cost less than half that amount...!!!

Actually, 191. That surely must have been a con...? Were they really that expensive...?

I cant imagine it being that expensive, unless that was for a full deal. I thought the Optima was about 130 when I bought mine...

see the Ultima Pro XL here:

th_Movie.jpg

and Ultima II here:

th_UltimaII.jpg

and finally the Triumph here:

th_Triumph.jpg

Hi Roop,

Paul

Could have been a deal Paul, yeah. 191 seems massive for 1987...!

Thanks to whichever mod moved this to Kyosho area. Sorry, my mistake...!

I know it's silly, but I kind of think of the HPI 5B as the last of the Ultima's.... They came from the same pen, and that's obvious...
They are similar. Here's my Ultima and a Baja :)

img280_06082006201112_1.jpg

For a list of the Ultimas and their differences have a look here - Ultimas for dummies

I totally forgot I had input in that. That was a while ago. :)

I like the Triumph video and that pretty much shows how they drive. Really squishy in the rear and light in front.

Any idea how much the type-Rs fetch for nowadays? Not sure of the pricing as I haven't seen many around. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't see Type Rs very much on ebay. In the states, Type R Evos are even more rare as they didn't come here. So, my guess is that pricing is variable. B)

Not many around makes them pretty rare, but they are in a black hole between the vintage classic Ultimas we all love and the modern RB5 so pretty unloved as well. I suspect because it is fairly modern but also old enough to not be competitive it probably isn't worth much.

The "Type R Evolution" typer-1.jpg used to be sold for $320 ~ $340 in Kuwait, it is basically type R with extra options.

Any idea how much the type-Rs fetch for nowadays? Not sure of the pricing as I haven't seen many around. Any help would be appreciated.