mike32

Bigwig Power Options?

Hi all, just wondering alittle advice? The bigwig was meant to run on the old 8.4v 1200 ah battery. My runner currently has a black sports-tuned motor in it, and running a 7.2 3600ah battery, with modern ESC and fully ball raced. Permforms well, but gets flat rarther quickly, was thinking of using an 8.4v battery in it. Seen these on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-8-4V-3800mAh-NiMH-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Would these high power batteries give my car that extra power and run time? Can the Tamiya black motors handle these packs? and not burn out my ESC?

Any ideas would be great...cheers!

Mike30.

Assuming your ESC will take 8.4v: The batteries will only give out as much power as the motor pulls. The ESC will only control as much as the motor pulls. So, the batteries will be fine.

The problem will come if you put in a high power motor, which might draw enough current to blow the ESC. But even then, the ESC might just cut out, and not damage its self.

Those batteries should give you lots more run time. The extra 1.2v will make the motor spin faster and the car go faster.

My only worry is the black motor. According to here : http://home19.inet.tele.dk/martinjordt/res...tors/motors.htm the BM is 6-7.2 v. I don't know how much damage the extra 1.2v will do. It might be ok for a while but burn its brushes out quick.

So, you might want to use a different motor, if you value your current one. Personally I think I'd just bung in a silver can 540 as see how it goes. Then think about a more modern 21t or something similar.

I enjoy running the Bigwig with the original technigold and a 8.4V battery pack. But you can also use other motors as well. A lot of ESC dont support 8.4V so you have to check that first.

OK thanks for that info fellas, im gonna replace the black motor with a technigold and use these 8.4v batteries, i'll double check my ESC capabilities first, and replace is ness, cheers again!

Mike30.