T.C~Tamiya

A Short Rant About Traffic Police...

Just got pulled by the traffic cops on the motorway (again) and charged for having one brake light out on my VW, it's like the Spanish Inquisition or something, can't believe they read you your rights for a ******* dud light bulb lol funny how I never see the traffic cops when Mr BMW M3 shoots past @130 mph.

Car over 15 years old = magnet for traffic cops, I've lost count of the number of times this happens, even if they can't find a real fault they'll make one up, last time it was a "low" brake fluid level, actually it was just above the "max" line so I couldn't figure that one out, you still have to get a mechanic to rubber stamp the paper work to prove the fault has been fixed though, even if the fault is fabricated, and of course that all costs $$$... tedious.

which country?

some EU countries i hear its mandatory to carry 1 spare for EVERY different bulb & fuse on the car,

plus if you wear glasses you've gotta have a spare pair onboard too!

which country?

The UK, I've not heard about the spare bulb / fuse rule, not sure if that's a law here ?

a short while ago i was ticketed [$100 fine] for speeding on a dirt road in rural wyoming by an over-zealous cop.

we're talking about a road that sees maybe 2 cars a week on a 35 mile stretch. he asked if i knew what the speed limit was

so i told him that theoretically it was when the car wouldn't go any faster or you ended up on the hood out in the weeds, whichever came 1st.

he was not impressed by my knowledge of the theoretical. :)

i sure he got an extra gold star on his uniform or report card or whatever for such a heroic deed. and there wasn't even a donut shop for miles around.

he was not impressed by my knowledge of the theoretical. :rolleyes:

lol funny story, It's never a good idea to smart mouth a cop, tends to go down like a lead balloon :)

generally in the UK I always thought and felt like the car was the enemy of everything and everyone.

Everyone is out to get moeny from you for having one.

and the Police want to put as many cars and drivers off the road as possible,

in my new home country it feels more like they want as many as possible to own and be able to run cars as it keeps big business turning over between building cars, and of course oil to make the fuel for them.

:lol: I fought the law but the law won! This one is easy guys! Get an ex Army olive drab Landie! I am always speeding around Town and I have only ever been stopped twice in 5 years or more and both times the wooden tops only wanted to look at my Defender and ask which Regiment I was in! They even told me so! :rolleyes:

Before I bought the Landie I used to drive hatchbacks etc. and I put "baby on board", Scouts Association and Round Table charity stickers in the back windscreen, fools them everytime! "Support your local Hells Angels" stickers don't seem to work as well! :)

My wife is ex London Metropolitan Police and her best advice is to put your hands up... er... be polite, admit the offence, apologise and show remorse. If you try to get smart with them then they will punish your attitude instead of the alleged crime. They will often only give a verbal warning if you realise your mistake and/or admit defeat.

Whatever you do don't stand with your arms crossed or your hands in your pockets. Don't say saythings like "Yeah right", "You don't know me" or "Whatever" because this will start a fire which can be very difficult to put out! :D

Anyone who is used to driving in Continental Europe, DO NOT I repeat DO NOT offer a British copper a bribe, even if you do call it "coffee". ;) The pleasure the Officer and his mates would get seeing you in court sweating blood before you go down is worth so much more to them than any money you might offer. Unless it's 10K plus of course! ;)

How do you think I get on driving this ! ?

img1586reducedzx6.jpg

I only ever get stopped for the police to ask me about it ! Doesn't go fast enough to get stopped for speeding ! :rolleyes::):lol:

I drive brand new BMW's (yes it's true what they say about BMW drivers :rolleyes:) 'cos of my job. At the moment I have a new 330i sport convertible (lovely!) but my boss wanted to borrow it for the weekend, so I used his 750i sport (about 70k worth- P.I.M.P'd with 20 inch wheels!) got a few funny looks from police when I picked up my other half late one night in the town centre. But I do have a skinhead- look fairly young (I hope!) and was wearing a hoodie. Every time I passed a cop car I wanted them to stop me so I could squeal;

"Don't you know who I am?!" ah la Mariah Carey!

But then I think they have their sense of humour removed in training...

I drive brand new BMW's (yes it's true what they say about BMW drivers :)) 'cos of my job. At the moment I have a new 330i sport convertible (lovely!) but my boss wanted to borrow it for the weekend, so I used his 750i sport (about 70k worth- P.I.M.P'd with 20 inch wheels!) got a few funny looks from police when I picked up my other half late one night in the town centre. But I do have a skinhead- look fairly young (I hope!) and was wearing a hoodie. Every time I passed a cop car I wanted them to stop me so I could squeal;

"Don't you know who I am?!" ah la Mariah Carey!

But then I think they have their sense of humour removed in training...

You Pimp you. RyanPlayer from now on. I bet you have one of those flashing bluetooth ears an all!!!

What you need is what i've got?

A Home office Warant Card! Works every time!!!!!

Gets them talking yes sir no sir in no time at all.

:rolleyes:

You Pimp you. RyanPlayer from now on. I bet you have one of those flashing bluetooth ears an all!!!

What you need is what i've got?

A Home office Warant Card! Works every time!!!!!

Gets them talking yes sir no sir in no time at all.

:rolleyes:

My boss made me laff so loud wednesday- We had theis pompous person from trading standards snooping round, and after a long drawn out debate my boss asked him if he was "bullied as a child"

Respect! still makes me giggle thinking about it now....

Show the law man/woman respect, and they will respect you as Dinodog has said. It might be irritating, but think about ALL the flack that they get everday from people, just for doing thier job.

but think about ALL the flack that they get everday from people, just for doing thier job.

Aww diddums...

I will concede..

They do have a (Insert Bad Word Here) of a job..

But a lot don't make it any easier on them selves.

Especially when they pull you over for a "Random" check,

and even before you've said anything they come across with an Attitude..

DIGNITY AND RESPECT ARE TWO WAY STREETS, MR PLOD!!

Hello hello hello, what have we got here then? ;)

The best way to catch a rabbit is to bait it, put something in the trap the rabbit can't resist, like a good talking down to! When the rabbit bites it gets skinned! Don't bite whatever you do! ;)

Coppers are made up by members of society, mostly good, some not so good... My wifes ex was married 5 times but told ALL his wives they were only the second! He also had girlfriends on the side. :o He got caught when morgage details were sent to the wrong address... :P

But much much worse than that we went to the War and Peace Military Show in Kent about 3 years ago, as we were leaving we saw an Officer with a rather small head wearing full size pilot mirror shades in uniform! Imagine being baited by him! Even I might bite! I mean mirror shades? What was he thinking? To cap it all he was only about 5' 3" tall! Tallest mounted Policeman in the Dog section! :D Now he should be reported to the fashion Police! Mind you he probably would take early retirement to get off with it :lol:

Evening all! ;)

They do have a (Insert Bad Word Here) of a job..

The point is, it is a job, which means they could always get another.... But I have a feeling alot of them would be lost without the uniform

...alot of them would be lost without the uniform

Never a truer word said

years ago i worked with a really nice woman who was married to this toad on a rope police sergeant. he's a real jerk, quite paranoid and jealous, and has absolutely no sense of humour at all. one night at work i noticed she had a police scanner, so i convinced her to lend it to me. so that night i'm driving around town listening to this guy and i see his cruiser go past, so i start following him around about a block behind him. doesn't take long for him to notice and get really wigged out about it and start telling dispatch about somebody 'tailing' him.

this doesn't happen in a small town all too often, so ALL the cops hear whats going on over the radio and get curious, so pretty soon there's this caravan of cops following me, following him, just driving around watching each other, everybody wondering 'what's this idiot doing following a cop around town?' so he suddenly freaks out, turns on the lights and blocks the road, and comes charging back to my car and gets all up in my face wanting to know what's going on, what i'm doing, etc.

so here we are in the middle of the street with most of the police force in tow, and him just freaking out, but i haven't really done anything except just drive down the same roads he's been driving down. he sees/hears the scanner squawking on the seat beside me, so he asks me where i got it. so i say, "oh this, its yours i guess, your wife gave it to me." his name was engraved in great big letters on the back cover and he just goes bug-nuts beserk. and the other cops are just roaring with laughter and start giving him grief and teasing him while i just sit there with my best, 'what, i didn't do anything' look on my face.

sooooooooooooooo funny.

they got divorced shortly thereafter. :D

years ago i worked with a really nice woman who was married to this toad on a rope police sergeant. he's a real jerk, quite paranoid and jealous, and has absolutely no sense of humour at all. one night at work i noticed she had a police scanner, so i convinced her to lend it to me. so that night i'm driving around town listening to this guy and i see his cruiser go past, so i start following him around about a block behind him. doesn't take long for him to notice and get really wigged out about it and start telling dispatch about somebody 'tailing' him.

this doesn't happen in a small town all too often, so ALL the cops hear whats going on over the radio and get curious, so pretty soon there's this caravan of cops following me, following him, just driving around watching each other, everybody wondering 'what's this idiot doing following a cop around town?' so he suddenly freaks out, turns on the lights and blocks the road, and comes charging back to my car and gets all up in my face wanting to know what's going on, what i'm doing, etc.

so here we are in the middle of the street with most of the police force in tow, and him just freaking out, but i haven't really done anything except just drive down the same roads he's been driving down. he sees/hears the scanner squawking on the seat beside me, so he asks me where i got it. so i say, "oh this, its yours i guess, your wife gave it to me." his name was engraved in great big letters on the back cover and he just goes bug-nuts beserk. and the other cops are just roaring with laughter and start giving him grief and teasing him while i just sit there with my best, 'what, i didn't do anything' look on my face.

sooooooooooooooo funny.

they got divorced shortly thereafter. :D

I like it :D

Hopefully get my warrant card this year :)

What you have to remember is Cops are just ordinary peaple. They have bad days and good. And there are small minded idiot one's and really good ones. They are supposed to be totally detached and professional 100% of the time but human nature and life is just not like that. You may get one whos been verbally or physically abused by an idiot that day or for example or one who's just been to a fatal accident. Human nature dictates they will not be as ameanable as one who's just won 10 on the lottery. If he/she has just been to a fatal caused by speeding and then see's you charging down the M1 at 90mph he's not going to be very forgiving. Granted some do have power problems or were "bullied as a child" :D but the majority are hardworking blokes getting greif from there boss and trying to do there best. You would be glad to see them if you were hanging from a cliff ;)

TAILIESIN

we're talking about a road that sees maybe 2 cars a week on a 35 mile stretch. he asked if i knew what the speed limit was

so i told him that theoretically it was when the car wouldn't go any faster or you ended up on the hood out in the weeds, whichever came 1st.

Just from his perspective, The officer's thinking was probably for your benefit, if you do end up on the hood in a ditch, who's going to find you in time ? It's a common accident. You bleed to death in a couple of hours, they find you 3 days later :D

Just my thoughts, Hope I'am not the bad type if I make it in.

Mark

sgt. barnes

you have a valid point and i promise i won't ever follow you around town with your own scanner or give you any grief at a traffic stop. :)

i've gotten plenty of speeding tickets in my time, and mostly i don't resent them because i was, er, speeding, so it was kinda my choice to assume the risk. i do get really cheesed off when somebody reads me the riot act, like i'm committing the crime of the century and that makes me a bad human being or something. i was just speeding, and i'll pay for it if i get caught, no big deal. i had never considered though that they might have just worked a fatality accident the day before, or something similar, so i understand what you are saying and it does make sense. just hadn't thought of it that way before.

i shouldn't bag on you lot [ but its sooooooooo fun ] because most cops do a good job and are good people, but they don't get remembered as well as the ones who act like real jerks. how's that for fair? go figure. :D

at any rate, i hope you make it in mate, let us know. i'm sure you'll be one of the good ones, and if you ever see a guy charging down a dirt road at mach I you can smile and think of me when you're writing him the ticket. ;)

Interesting. Just remember this: The faster you go, the longer it will take you to stop. The more likely you'll lose control in an emergency situation, etc, etc, etc. I won't get into stopping distances or reaction times but who gets to clean that mess up when you're crashed ? The police officer. Yes, it's only "speeding". Yes, sometimes the officer is a bit "testy" but after being told they should be catching "real criminals" all day, I'm sure any normal person could be a bit tesy when they are doing one part of their job. Add the fact that many people can't even take responsibility for their own actions, blah, blah blah, you get the idea I'm sure !

Just like doctors, dentists, customer service representatives, mail men, pizza delivery guys there are always a few bad apples in the bunch.

I did a lot of stupid things when i passed my test 8 years ago - but now i rely on my licence for work i drive like my grandad!

However the other day i was stopped in the wifes car (vectra sri) it has 4 rear bulbs, 2 per side, he stopped me because 1 was out - so even though both sides were still lit one had a larger area lit. He warned me that i had to get it fixed within 48hours and bring all my papers to the station.

I was 300 miles from home... So couldn't go and get them and was away for a week - eventually he reasoned with me and said if i took the other working bulb out the other side, giving one bulb per side he would let me off - as long as i got it fixed when i got home!

I got pulled for doing 98 on the M5 a few years back, by a jammie that just sneaked through the traffic, no lights, sirens or anything, but the copper was great

The gist of it was, "I can do you for speeding, or you can get in the car for a lecture, and seeing as I have a fair idea which one you're going to go for, come with me"

Got a whole road safety lecture, and a few 'tips' as to why I got caught (don't cruise the outside lane ;) )

Coulda been a whole lot worse, but he was pretty cool about it all

Got had by a camera too, not quite such a good result ;) 38 in a 30 = 60 out of pocket and 10% increase in insurance premium

Real punch in the pearls was I was going with the flow- 3 cars in front of me and I musta just been over the 'tolerance' for the camera