Sign in to follow this  
GroupCracer

Took My Group C Racing Today

Yep, went to my local track and raced my Group C. In a sea of 4wd touring cars I was the only 2wd.

Had to race in Touring Stock class (silver can motor, 1500mah batt limit), no problems. Was running stock gearing, carbon rear shaft, Low Friction Alloy shock, full blue rubber seal bearings, stock Tamiya foams.

Car was FANTASTIC, omg it had so much grip, it must have been the track, because I used to race a F102 many years ago and it was HARD work, this wasn't that difficult to manage at all.

I haven't raced in years and it was my first time on this track and I finished mid field. Placed in the B main final as well :D Down the back straight the Group C would actually pull away and pass the faster cars...great fun :D

That sounds like fun :D Good to see the Group C cars can still give the newer cars a run for their money. Might inspire me to use my C-11 at the local track. Which Group C racer was it?

Cheers

Great looking car :D Did you get many looks when you raced it? or are the reasonably common after the re-re came out?

Everyone commented on it and thought it looked great. Hardly any of the racers here knew Tamiya re-re'd them because most of the serious racers seem to forget Tamiya :D

The only thing that bugged me was its so **** low at the front it still touches every now and again...and this is a **** smooth track, probably best in New Zealand

lol I think you may have surprised some ppl then with how good Tamiya can be :D Probably one of the best looking cars on the track the 787.

Was the body rubbing? You prob already know this, you can raise the chassis by taking out the spacers under the rear pod and also moving the plastic washers at the front end (move them under the green front frame instead of on top). Raises the chassis a fair bit, but if its the body, I know what you mean lol Every now and again it catches and I dont want to raise it too high as it doesnt look as good. Form over function lol

LOL! :D

Good for you! YES, they are FUN!!

Two weekends ago I took my Daytona THUNDER :P:D (Love saying that!) to my regular series, and it was the first time I have used it since racing it last year. Last time it was a HOOT, simply hilarious tailsliding mania with the dynatech and the bright yellow body. B main and wild but fun.

This year more thoughtfully prepared with soft shock, raised axle and tire additive on the stock foams, I qualified in the A main! :o:D:D

and totally stock, even using the ADSPEC CPR electrics, only a TZ motor (slower than the dyna) to meet the regs, I managed to finish 6th out of 10. They are super chassis'. It was SO enjoyable to drive.

I couldn't match the asso carpet knife monster but 6 out of 10 that was a pretty good showing for such a heavy, old chassis.

Our series king, self professed "I'm a local matador only", regularly hounds and beats all types of carpet knife type cars with his C-11. So they can still be v competitive! Cheap to buy, set up, and v solid. Super combo. Ah, nearly forgot, the tamiya harder front springs option was the only 'hop-up' as it were on my smiley yellow DT.

Get them out and enjoy them! Good on you, GroupCracer!

Something I've been meaning to ask for a while about the Tamiya Group 'C' cars..

Was there ever a Tamiya (or Aftermarket) FRP/Carbon chassis kit for these?

Or are we stuck with the monocoque 'Bath Tub'?

Surely a Twin-Deck FRP chassis would be lighter then the 'Tub'

Sounds like alot of fun 'GroupCracer', can you make a video for us??... I am still trying to get my hands on 2 Group C kits- 1 for the shelf and 1 to run/race..

I'll see if i can get my hands on a video camera and get my other half to take some vids.

Something I've been meaning to ask for a while about the Tamiya Group 'C' cars..

just buy a F103GT :lol:

just buy a F103GT :lol:

I was thinking the same thing. At least an alternative chassis that I could run my Porsche 911GT3 bodies on.

There isn't one.

Although I hope to solve that problem on mine somewhere next year - think lightweight carbon PRO-10-style chassis with adjustable wheelbase, useable with both saddle packs & stick packs, servo holes in such a way that you can use equal length turnbuckles for the steering linkage, and possibly tweak screws. :D

It will replace the entire tub + space frame front end around the servo + shock mount and should considerably reduce the amount of hardware and parts used, and also lower the weight. Of course the height adjustment at the front will be different, using spacers under the front arms instead, and the adjustable wheelbase will work in a different way.

I'm still wondering if I should also design a replacement for the tiny front bumper...

I don't plan on commercializing it myself, as carbon seems to be a pain to work with (and the dust is dangerous for your health), but if I'm happy with it I'll probably try to find a way to make it available to others.

There isn't one.

Although I hope to solve that problem on mine somewhere next year - think lightweight carbon PRO-10-style chassis with adjustable wheelbase, useable with both saddle packs & stick packs, servo holes in such a way that you can use equal length turnbuckles for the steering linkage, and possibly tweak screws. :D

It will replace the entire tub + space frame front end around the servo + shock mount and should considerably reduce the amount of hardware and parts used, and also lower the weight. Of course the height adjustment at the front will be different, using spacers under the front arms instead, and the adjustable wheelbase will work in a different way.

I'm still wondering if I should also design a replacement for the tiny front bumper...

I don't plan on commercializing it myself, as carbon seems to be a pain to work with (and the dust is dangerous for your health), but if I'm happy with it I'll probably try to find a way to make it available to others.

You could just use a F103 and make different lower chassis plates for it. You can even just cut up old ones.

And I might ADD -

THANK YOU Bakaguyjean for the gold heatsink p160 CPR unit I used for the race in the daytona THUNDER! ;):D:)

:D:)

You could just use a F103 and make different lower chassis plates for it. You can even just cut up old ones.

Which would cost me about as much money. I like to tinker with my models (rc and static alike). Besides, I'm curious as to where you can take this chassis...

As for the chassis you linked to, it has a few features I don't like (stand-up steering servo + too many stand-offs + too complicated design).

Which would cost me about as much money. I like to tinker with my models (rc and static alike). Besides, I'm curious as to where you can take this chassis...

As for the chassis you linked to, it has a few features I don't like (stand-up steering servo + too many stand-offs + too complicated design).

I understand tinkering with cars. Im not trying to be rude. Sorry if i came off that way.

The F103 not the GT is a really cheap chassis,it is just as wide as the C car chassis and has most of the features you are taking about doing to your C car. I even have one laying around that i could send your way cheap.

You dont like the stand up servo you can just use a 103LM chassis and the servo lays down. Or if you use the F103 narrow chassis you can just shoe glue the servo in flat. You can do all sorts of things with a F103,rolling shock rear suspension alloy gear boxes. adjustable rear ride hight tires and wheels,ruber or foam.

You can even use the same tires and wheel from you C car on the chassis. The only thing the C car has going for it over the F103 chassis is the wheels base. But you can just trim a spare chassis down. The "C" car only has three wheel bases correct. So you would only need two chassis plates and you are go to go.

I love the "C" car chassis because of all the plastic and the really cool colored roll bar parts. And the bodies are great also but these bodies can be mounted on the F103 chassis with the extra chassis plates. Cross even has a new "C" car chassis coming out with a huge bottom plate. You could mount 12 cells in that thing if you wanted.

Look at this site and you can see what kind of support there is for the F103.

http://rcmonocoque.shop8.makeshop.jp/

Its all in Japnese but you can see what kind of parts are still around and most of them will work for your "C" car chassis also.

Sorry if we got of on the wrong foot before, F103 and C cars are the best Direct drive chassis Tamiya ever made.

I understand tinkering with cars. Im not trying to be rude. Sorry if i came off that way.

No offense taken. Don't worry. :)