Sign in to follow this  
UrbanGarage

M03 Vs. Mo4

One is front wheel drive (M03), the other is rear (M04). Just look in the showrooms for the pic's to see the differences.

Same arms, bumpers, bodymounts and wheels.

Not sure about the gear bag , because the housing is different.

It's not as simple as the M01 & 2.

some pics to help you out fella,

M03 is front wheel drive, used for minis and suzuki swift shells.

tamiya_m03.gif

M04 is rear wheel driver, used for mazda mx5

tamiya_m04.gif

Hope this helps

Steve

Not sure about the gear bag , because the housing is different.

The gear bag is the same. But the predrilled holes for mounting the motor are different on the M03 and the M04 housing. The M04 uses pinions with one tooth more than the M03 so the M04 should be a little faster.

Also as you see from the picture above some m-chassis bodies (like the Porsche Boxter, 911, S2000, M roadster and the SLK) bodies allow you to use standard size 1/10 touring car tires making them even faster.

The gear bag is the same. But the predrilled holes for mounting the motor are different on the M03 and the M04 housing. The M04 uses pinions with one tooth more than the M03 so the M04 should be a little faster.

Also as you see from the picture above some m-chassis bodies (like the Porsche Boxter, 911, S2000, M roadster and the SLK) bodies allow you to use standard size 1/10 touring car tires making them even faster.

That last fact has a little problem to it... With the larger wheels you should use a pinion gear with a few teeth less... I tried running my M02 with large wheels and the old pinion gear... It's acceleration goes down, and although it has a higher top speed, it's very unstable at low speeds (or you don't accelerate fast, or the rear end is suddenly next to the front end)... :huh:

I have the feeling the M03 is more popular than the M04... Not sure though, and I also wouldn't understand why (I like RWD :D never tried FWD though, maybe that's the problem. That's why I still want a FWD car).

The M03 and M04 are very different cars, but that is simply because the M03 is FWD and the M04 is RWD. As other people said, many parts are the same on the M03 and M04. Also, the M03 chassis looks very much the same as an FF02 chassis. They are probably more tough and reliable than the M01 and M02, cheaper because they are still for sale (and there will probably not be a chassis replacing the M03 and M04 at least the upcoming 2-3 years)

The funny thing of the M01 and M02 that the M03 and M04 can't do is that they are so much the same that you could build an M01 kit with RWD, so it will be an M02 (apart from one part, the rod which connects the servo to the front end).

That last fact has a little problem to it... With the larger wheels you should use a pinion gear with a few teeth less... I tried running my M02 with large wheels and the old pinion gear... It's acceleration goes down, and although it has a higher top speed, it's very unstable at low speeds (or you don't accelerate fast, or the rear end is suddenly next to the front end)... :huh:

I have the feeling the M03 is more popular than the M04... Not sure though, and I also wouldn't understand why (I like RWD :D never tried FWD though, maybe that's the problem. That's why I still want a FWD car).

The M03 and M04 are very different cars, but that is simply because the M03 is FWD and the M04 is RWD. As other people said, many parts are the same on the M03 and M04. Also, the M03 chassis looks very much the same as an FF02 chassis. They are probably more tough and reliable than the M01 and M02, cheaper because they are still for sale (and there will probably not be a chassis replacing the M03 and M04 at least the upcoming 2-3 years)

The funny thing of the M01 and M02 that the M03 and M04 can't do is that they are so much the same that you could build an M01 kit with RWD, so it will be an M02 (apart from one part, the rod which connects the servo to the front end).

You can use a smaller gear in the M04 to help out with tires problems

There are a number of reasons why the M03 is more popular.Not to bash RWD but the M03 is so easy to drive.It goes where you want it all the time. The M04 likes to spin out. The M04 just takes a bit more skill to get around with. For just bashing both cars are great.

For racing the M03 handles very well but Tamiya allways throws in this rule where a M04 can only run a 19t pinion.and the M03 gets to run the 20 Pinion. The touring car size wheels and tires are not used on any current M04 now so those are out the window for racing. Also both chassis do better with the car as low to the ground as possible. So 55D tires are used instead of the 60D that come with the kits now. Tamiya still makes the 55D tires that were with the M01/02.

So for racing if you use a M04 you have alot stacked against you from the begining.

Anthor reason that the M03 is more popular is there are spare bodies for these from a number of makers. If you run a M04 you have to use a Tamiya body as nobody makes a aftermarket body for the M04. So you have to get the spares direct from Tamiya.

The Racing Mini Copper 58211 has now been around for 10 years. M04s bairly last 2.

I really wish Tamiya would have stuck with a chassis like the M01 that could be changed to RWD if you wanted and still have the low profile of the M01.

Both cars are Great runners,just be careful with your M04 Bodies,you might be in for a long wait to replace it.

i was wondering because i was interested in buying the ABC Genetic mini 4WD chassis...and they said that it only fits the tamiya MO3 bodies! so, if its pretty much interchangeable from the MO3 to MO4 bodies, i was planning to purchase that chassis!

The M04 is slightly longer than the M03 in standard form, so I don't think M04 bodies would fit on the ABC Genetic.

The M03 and M04 also come in different variants - the M03L and M04L have spacers mounted in the chassis to make them longer. For the M03, I think the BMW Mini is an "L" (for Long) variant, whereas the Rover Mini is the standard (short) variant.

What body do you want to use? The Genetic is 208mm and it gets really confusing as Tamiya says thier Mini Cooper racing in 210mm but the body isnt.

I have all of these cars and if you tell me what body you are looking at i can tell you what chassis will fit under the body.

i was wondering because i was interested in buying the ABC Genetic mini 4WD chassis...and they said that it only fits the tamiya MO3 bodies! so, if its pretty much interchangeable from the MO3 to MO4 bodies, i was planning to purchase that chassis!

The M03 chassis is available in 210mm and 225mm wheelbase, the M04 is only available in 225mm and 240mm wheelbase, the M04 isn't available with a 210mm wheelbase. Every 4wd mini chassis has a 210mm wheelbase, so only M01, M02 and M03 bodies can fit them.

check out rc-mini.net for info on M chassis cars. tony gray is TC member and M chassis guru who frequently posts answers about minis and such on that site. it might even be his site, i don't know for sure. :unsure: those aussies do some crazy things with their minis. check it out.

My site? Well me in association with some others yes. But rc-mini really belongs to all the mini freaks out there, I'm just the site caretaker :)

Crazy things? Well every now and then we do things that are a little strange!

M03 is easier to drive than the M04. M04 is nervous, it can be faster if you are a god driver but you got to keep your attention on it.

M03 is easier to drive than the M04. M04 is nervous, it can be faster if you are a god driver but you got to keep your attention on it.

If you dont use Tamiya tires the M04 gets alot easier to drive. Tamiya doesnt really have agood tire for the rear of the M04.

As said the major difference is there layout and the fact that one is fwd and one rwd. there is also the shared ability to adjust the wheelbase with regards to addition of spacers this allowing the use of different bodies as well as a variety of different handling techniques.

A bit about the MO4 tho from my development of a 2wd dakar buggy from it and that is that despite its appearances it is one of the toughest cars I think tamiya make with regards to its lightweight not putting as much strain on parts espically during impact.

Further with another spacers u can get a 257mm wheelbase and with the suspension from say a tb01 or a tl01 you can get it upto 190mm wide and able to take the normal 1/10th scale touring car shells with the normal touring car wheels and effectively have a proper touring car, being light, rwd with normal groundclearance and all independant suspension. or a rally car such as a stratos/037 as the Tb01/Tl01 suspension can be easily modified in order to gain the extra ground clearance required.