Sign in to follow this  
Biggins

Df03 What Motor

I want to get a new motor for my sons df03 keen hawk. It was running some old 18 & 17 turn motors I had. They have now died so I put a Venom 15T in it. However this isn't working well. The car doesn't accelerate as quickly as it should, I can hear the speed build up as it runs up the tarmac road. Only after a very short time the motor is really hot. This suggests to me that the gearing is to tall. I have two options I guess, 1 change the gearing (not to clever with that) 2, get different motor. I would be happy to spend about 30. I was thinking about the Tamiya Super Stock BZ. Are there any other motors for a similar price that would do the job? We only use the car for bashing not racing

I had the same problem.

A few weeks ago I was racing my Yokomo MR-4BCS and damaged the front bulkhead and as I didnt have a spare I decided to breakout the spare car! A DF-03 Keenhawk. I normally run a Raven 19 double in it but I thought with the competition on the night I would upgrade to a 15 double. I found that the car was desperately slow and very underpowered! Although I still didn't come last, beating a brushless Yokomo MR-4BX in the process ;)

My thoughts were that the gearing was all wrong. It needed a bigger spur and a smaller pinion but I couldnt find anything to fit in the club shop so I just put up with it.

My main point is where can I find a bigger spur? The 26t pinion is way way too big for a hot (ish) motor. Why do tamiya persist in gearing their cars to the 540 when most people throw them away?

I think Biggins this will solve your problem too.

Cheers

Dean

For bashing, I recommend getting a Peak Vantage 19 turn spec motor.

A few reasons for this.

19 turn will return good performance with your gearing.

19 Turn spec motors are limited to around 32 by the BRCA

Getting a vantage type V2 motor, will mean it needs less maintenance than other equivelant motors.

Thanks guys

Had a look at the Peak Racing motor, it seems to be the same as the Orion Element. I was unsure about this motor or the Reedy 19T Spec Quad Mag. Any thoughts or experiences? How do these compare to the Tamiya BZ?

Thanks guys

Had a look at the Peak Racing motor, it seems to be the same as the Orion Element. I was unsure about this motor or the Reedy 19T Spec Quad Mag. Any thoughts or experiences? How do these compare to the Tamiya BZ?

I bought a Team Scream 19t stock and it's a great motor with loads of torque and RPM. It blows the pants off my Raven 15 double in the driveability stakes and gives me increased runtimes in my MR-4BCS. Lovely smooth power delivery.

May suit the high gearing of the DF-03 due to the extra torque?

Dean