jwrAMC

Tl01: Can The Wheelbase Be Stretched? How?

Nice ideas for the body :D I love those sorts of looks (It was called rat-look, wasn't it? :D ) And it would be cool if you could lift the front end if you put the stick to full throttle... I can already imagine hearing a V8 passing by slowly with a low rpm... Although I think your's will not sound exatcly like that... :P

And what colour were you planning... some old beige/brown colour with a grey primer fender, a matte black bonnet and maybe some spots that have been worn out so you can see an even 'older' coat of paint?

Well, since it is a 'Cuda, I would think the color should look a bit more 'POW' than brown or beige...perhaps a metallic blue, then the black hood...and beige fender and primer-gray quarter panel....some mix like that. Some called them 'rats'...we called them 'roaches'. :)

Well, since it is a 'Cuda, I would think the color should look a bit more 'POW' than brown or beige...perhaps a metallic blue, then the black hood...and beige fender and primer-gray quarter panel....some mix like that. Some called them 'rats'...we called them 'roaches'. :D

Make it 4wd or if you have to then glue two rims together and fit tyres, nice and wide. OR look at HPI's supersize rims and tyres for 1/10 scale cars. they are HOT!

Extending the chassis will be as simple as the other guy said. use some Alu tubing to keep the 4wd and extend by using metal boxwork or cut a chunk from a cheap chinese tl01 rip off and use threaded rod to stabalise the chassis. and attach the three parts.

you giving me ideas for my tl01 now....

Today Im working on both of my TL01s.

First, since the instructions have still not arrived from the Cobras seller, I decided to familiarize myself with the chassis by tearing down the expendable $11 car. I split the sides, gutted the front gearbox, removed the long shaft and sealed its holes, then cleaned and lubed the rear gearing (which definitely had an issue as they bind a bit at a certain point in rotation- I remedied this using the other TL01s stock gears), and treated the rear gearbox to six new bearings. Before re-assembling it, I also cut out some plastic from the receiver compartment and removed the battery wings. Overall, a lot of weight has been lost, especially up front.

I also received the wheels and tires it will run- HPI's vintage wheel (looks like the real 'Torque-Thrust D' wheel) and their vintage tread pattern tires (see the inset).

chassismod1rv6.jpg

Soon Ill cut this sucker in two and extend it the needed 1.5 for the newly named Roach-Rocket project. Stay tuned.

(See my other thread for the details on the other TL01)

I've upgraded the front end with bearings now, and added a new Tamiya 'Sport Tuned' 540 motor...just to put something in it to start with.

chassismod2fh5.jpg

Oh...and new body posts, as the originals were very warped to one side...storage issue maybe??

In keeping with the "used car" theme, you should use 2 of those wheels, and 2 of the HPI stock car steelies, painted to look rusty. For some reason cars like that never have all 4 matching wheels.

Yea, I had that thought Saturday but wasn't sure which way to go. I'd wanted slicks for the back, wider than the fronts (26mm), too. I checked Tower just now and I like the stock vintage 31mm wheels in black (less than $7!)...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXRSK9&P=7

3858_01.jpg

...with the 31mm vintage slicks (at $13).

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXUSY7&P=7

No photo on Tower's site but here they are at HPI-

4792_03.jpg

Even without roughing these up, the 'look' is right for a weekend warrior car...four matching mags for street use with slicks mounted on spare steel wheels for track days. Noyce!! ;)

Oh...another idea I'm toying with: Line-locks. What if I get a cheap 3-channel radio and add a mini servo in the receiver tray (way back) with a long, thin, plastic rod (with a flat horizontal tip like a screwdriver) that goes forward into the front gearbox. I can put the front diff gear and dogbones back in so that when the rod pokes between the gear's teeth, the front tires won't roll...allowing infinite rear slick heat-ups (and insane doughnuts). Hmmm...

Burnout2t.jpg

Cool idea!

Throw a little flour or baby powder or something under the rear tires and you could probably even stage a scale "burnout." :unsure:

DUE TO THE GRAPHIC NATURE OF THE FOLLOWING PHOTOS, VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

Out came the saw today and as you see below, the chassis has now been stretched (sorry to all of you that hated the idea!). Finding a 'U'-channel in the right size wasn't happening, so going with 4 pieces of 3/4" 'L'-channel is how I went. Each is 3.5" long, and as previously laid out, the new gap is 1.5" long.

stretched1ry6.jpg

It's actually quite rigid after all. Just waiting for an adjustable steering kit, an ESC and receiver. Meanwhile, I'll get started on prepping the body.

stretched2we2.jpg

Here's another angle of the body mounted as I want it. The front posts WILL be cut down....I promise.:D

stretched3su1.jpg

What I still can't decide is whether the blower will stay or if I'll use the supplied 'shaker' scoop instead. The shaker would look 'smoother' to me, and would be my preference if I owned the real thing...but the 'roach' that this car is supposed to be probably wouldn't have such a coveted factory scoop....and perhaps the blower (grimey and dull-looking) might fit this thing better...but I just hate it myself. Arrgh...decisions, decisions. ;)

Wow. I brought my dilemma about the car's appearance to my wife's attention...and she threw me a curve.

Her thinking was that the Cuda is just too nice a body to intentionally trash. She wants it to be a Plum Crazy purple 'show car'. I defended the idea of trashing it, suggesting I still have the '69 Charger body that I can do 'pretty'...but that's when it hit me.

I'd planned to make the Charger a copy of the car from 'Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry'...but who says it has to be pretty like when first seen in the film?

dmclearlyxs0.jpg

I could instead make it look as it did right before the big ending...

dmclafterks1.jpg

Now I'm REALLY lost! ;)

I have two bodies. The 'Cuda is the one shown on the chassis that was gonna get trashed. But she wants that one to be pretty. The other is the Charger that was planned to be pretty, but now I'm thinking to damage it per the movie photos above.

Ah ok :lol: Well, I'd advice you to start a poll on this one... Or you paint them both neat and trash one by running and then make it more 'reality-trashed' once it's damaged...

And somehow the wheels AND tires loo too small compared to the shell... Maybe that will change once it's painted, but I think bigger tires and wheels would look better... ;)

Ah ok :P Well, I'd advice you to start a poll on this one... Or you paint them both neat and trash one by running and then make it more 'reality-trashed' once it's damaged...

Now that isn't such a crazy idea. That just might be the way to go. Thanks. :D

I've looked around for 1970s-era-looking tires and wheels, but everything out there is touring car/drift car stuff...except these ones from HPI which they call 'vintage'. From a realistic perspective (not a toy/RC view), these are just a bit small. The body's wheel wells are actually too large, but HPI did that as they figured them to be used on a monster truck chassis. I'm hoping to under-trim the wells a little bit to make the openings a little smaller, to help the wheels fill them more...but HPI's master engineers (numbnuts) made these areas textured so that the well line is very defined and unchangable....very limiting. If I come across wheels and tires that fit, fill the big wells AND look properly muscle-car-era, then I'll happily grab a set. So links and ideas appreciated!

My latest Tower pkg didn't arrived today, so I'm stalled for the moment, so I figured I'd go ahead and fit the '69 Charger body onto the chassis to check it's ride height, etc. This is where I settled...

stretched4ew2.jpg

Here's a happy accident for you- The Cuda body has a molded-in blower on the hood, but a seperate piece supplies a factory 'Shaker' scoop to install if you hate the blower. The Charger's description on Tower doesn't say the same, so I figured I as stuck with the blower on it. But while handling it today, I found there's a hood section to replace the blower that is molded into the left/front fender well area! This is going to make my 'Crazy Larry' Charger much easier to do! :P

I think you can place the body lower so the chassis remains hidden better and the wheels won't hit the wheelarches that easily as far as I can see on the pictures? Looks nice so far, I can't wait to see the body painted :P

Nah, any lower and it'll start looking like a modern 'G-machine' resto-mod. I want a vintage, 'handling-is-for-sissys' look. The old 'it handles like ham & swiss with extra mayo'. :P

Factory-like ride height:

http://www.bobx.com/charger_1969/Berlin/af...harger_1969.JPG

Much-too-low-for-my-intentions:

http://images.cardomain.net/sites/cardomai...sickcharger.jpg

In looking over the stickers that came with the Charger shell, I'm impressed by how many they supplied. Optional bright trim for a vinyl top, extra grille badge for base model Charger instead of R/T, black or white trunk stripes, and tons of details pieces like door handles and locks, reverse and turn signal lenses, window/windshield/backlight trim, side marker lights.....loads of stuff. Awesome.

:P ok, you have a point there but I thought you might want to hide the chassis a bit more...

What you can also do is buy a cva shock set, get the chassis up higher and the body lower (which will hide the chassis, but not the susp arms). If you then also give it fairly soft shock oil and soft springs you should even get the body roll in the corners and a partially handling-is-for-sissies setup :D

:P ok, you have a point there but I thought you might want to hide the chassis a bit more...

What you can also do is buy a cva shock set, get the chassis up higher and the body lower (which will hide the chassis, but not the susp arms). If you then also give it fairly soft shock oil and soft springs you should even get the body roll in the corners and a partially handling-is-for-sissies setup :D

Agreed, cars where the bottom of the chassis is showing just dont look right in my opinion and the use simply of some long shock ends onto the stock friction shocks will sort the situation out greatly and give you the comedy handling you want.

However should u get traction rolling and even having the car roll over due to the now higher and softer suspension with grippy tyres I would look at adding the soft stabilizers which will prevent this and allow you those big lazy power slides :blink:

Looking forward to the painting :D

Ryck

Now we're all on the same page! <_<

I took these shots to get a real understanding of what is seen when.

The first shot on the left is an angle you'll only get with the car on a high shelf or table and the viewer getting their eyes to 'gound-level'. This is impossible to see with the car on a track or street...so nobody will see this angle.

The second shot is at hood level, and can be seen again on a shelf, but in the street, the viewer would have to lay their head on the pavement to get this angle.

The last shot is barely higher than the car's roof. Again, you gotta get down on the ground to see even this angle, and by this time, the chassis is hidden. All higher-angle views will see nothing of the chassis (and that's after I cut off the hideous side pipes!). So it hardly seemed worth any effort to hide it further.

But I did what WRC suggested and installed longer shock ends that were spares from my F150 Race Truck kit, then dropped the body another two notches all the way around...and the right-side shots are what we got:

rideheight0wc5.jpg

I think it worked out real well! And the raised center of gravity should certainly help ruin the handling some more. :o

So....you guys satisfied?!?!? ;) Here's a front shot...

rideheight3fv4.jpg

I then cut-down the posts and took this double-exposure of the chassis wearing both bodies.

2bodiesax1.jpg

Thanks for the help, folks. You ROCK! :)

Since I have no air brush and no experience with an air brush...and nobody sells pre-mixed spray paint for polycarbonate that matches real auto paint colors preceisely...I'm going to paint the Charger body by brush. And that means I can go ahead and do the cutting first.

So I did. My over-critical eyes see a bunch of issues, but overall, it's going to look pretty good. One issue is that, even after my stretch of the chassis, the Charger's wheel wells are too far apart. The front wheel is centered but the rear was too far forward- or more accurately, the well was too far back. So, despite the fact that the lexan is textured rough in the cutout areas, I did my cutting about 3/8" further forward than HPI intended. This is fine at the front of the rear wells, but behind it leaves a bit of that rough stuff. I'm hopeful the light color I'm using will help hide it.

trimmed1rb9.jpg

Click this link for anoher pair of photos of the car from down low and much closer.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7083/trimmed2fo4.jpg

This chassis arrived from the eBay seller with the steering arms missing, so I got a set of adjustables from Tamiya and slapped that in with a new S3003 servo. My other TL01 got this and other suspension gear yesterday. See that thread for details.

towkit1lk9.jpg

Another benefit of the shock-length change is that the chassis can no longer 'bottom out' on landings. Here it is, pushed down as far as the shocks will allow..still a wee bit of daylight underneath. :rolleyes:

clearance1un4.jpg

More pics for y'all.

I was at the LHS today looking for paint for the Charger body, and saw the same HPI wheels and tires I have, but in the matte silver finish...which mimics aluminum very nicely. I decided I like them better than the chrome, so I grabbed a pair of 26mm for the front, 31mm for the rear, and a pair of 31mm treaded tires to complete the setup. Now the rear wells are filled nicely, width-wise.

charger2qe7.jpg

charger5nd9.jpg

charger3mz8.jpg

Just for giggles, my Tamiya family portrait...

5cars2tz4.jpg

The Charger is now painted and detailed. The lighting in the house stinks, so better photos will follow. These will do for now...

dmcl05fj9.jpg

dmcl06ig0.jpg

Bonus photos comparing the RC to the movie car...

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1443/dmcl01bg3.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6417/dmcl03rb2.jpg

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1756/dmcl04vc6.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6848/dmcl02vn0.jpg

Not perfect, but servicable for now. Might do this again at a later date to get it 'just right'. Then I'll just 'damage' this one up like later in the film. :D