Sign in to follow this  
Butler

A Confession

Been on this site a while and the sad truth has been nagging me for a while.

When I was about 12, back in the early 1990's my parents bought me a Falcon.

It turns out in the early 1980's my Dad used to race a couple of Tamiya pan cars including the Ligier and March F1's. He gave me a box a full of his cars that he didn't use and helped me get his Acoms 227 gear into my Falcon. The 2 F1's pan cars we complete with manuals and in ok condition. Later in the year Dad bought a Porsche 959 and my brother bought a Hornet. The 3 of us used to bash together on a sunday morning up the woods, I hopped up my falcon a fair bit. Overtime we all lost interest. I carried on a bit longer fettling and got a Ta01 cossie. Over more time I butchered all the cars for electronics, motors and the odd spare has I needed from them up to about 1996. We moved house and the whole lots got thrown in a box and into the loft.

About I year ago I decided to get back into the RC scene and being playing with my M03 swift ever since. However shortly before I got that car I though it would be easiest to start from scratch with new electronics, batteries and a car.

You guessed it...

I binned a massive box of vintage gear including a Porsche 959, Falcon, Ligier F1, March F1, TA01 Cossie, 6v batteries, 7.2 batteries, Acoms bits, the lot. I think I kept a few motors with I sold with a Dynastorm about 2 years ago.

Being a member of TC as made me realise the true worth of all that gear I chucked. 5 cars that could have been an easy restore for someone here.

:)

I can offer a councilling service, as you need to mourn your loss, then move on! There's nothing worse than being angry about something you can't change, especially if you did it!I remember spending weeks and weeks building a glider. Every evening, into the wee hours. When the great day came I launched my pride and joy off a slope.

Wish I had turned the radio on :D

I don't carry that much self inflicted shame, but I have a story, too.

After seeing the TV ad for the Wild Willy, I nagged my parents to take me to a hobby shop to see these things. It 1982 or 3... too long ago, and I was about 9..

They showed us the Guide Book, and I took instantly to the Sand Scorcher. Always had a VW thing going on.

Nearing the end of the year, the Mother saids if I wanted a S/S for Christmas, I could have one!.

For some reason, after a minute or two of reflection (which in it's self is not a 9yo thing to do) I said:

"That's a lot of money. What if I loose interest"....

I could of been the 1st owner of a SS....

...In reality, I could of made a complete dog's __________s of it, and be regretting that....

I can offer a councilling service, as you need to mourn your loss, then move on! There's nothing worse than being angry about something you can't change, especially if you did it!I remember spending weeks and weeks building a glider. Every evening, into the wee hours. When the great day came I launched my pride and joy off a slope.

Wish I had turned the radio on :D

LOL.

This topic should have an undertitle that should warn people that they can become very sad, angry or even depressed from all those stories... :)

The only RC car that I ditched wasn't even a real good car.. I got an old Tyco RC car from a classmate. It was really old, and also quite an ugly thing, but I liked it and wanted to put a 540 in there to make a very unreal fast toy pickup with about a 16-20cm wheelbase... In the end I didn't do it, and I never used it because I couldn't get myself to start on the project so I decided to throw it away...

In the end I could have built something cool from it... but then again, I would had to modify everthing and I had to use a battery that is stacked (3 wide, 2 high) and I didn't have one of those at the time. Then you also have the fact that I had lack of electronics, the tires were quite cracked and unreplaceable and I didn't want to spend money on the car.

The thing I regret the most is selling my Wild Dagger, and after that probably I regret I drove my Subary Impreza body (the '97 one), but I shouldn't blame myself cause I could just not have known at the age of 10/11 that the body would be a sought after body in a few years... :D

If it wasn't for the sort of mistakes you made, these things wouldn't now be rare! Just tell yourself that by binning the parts you've helped all of us that still have them!

There, bet you feel so much better. Maybe..... :D

thought i might aswell put ym story on, about 18 years ago my dad bought a mint new build 959 and monster beetle, the monnster beetle had a doggy servo so he gave the whole car away to his mates son( i wasnt born at the time) the 959 and boxes of parts were all left in a cupboard untill one day when i was about 5 years old i pulled the box out and got my hands on the 959, soon there was parts everywere and that 959 box was ripped to pieces. sadly everything was thrown out, including loads of nib radio and parts, there was also parts for an f1 car and a terra scorcher in pieces all throw away. such a shame but luky the 959 is still around, total wreck now but so glad it wasnt thrown out.

dazaa

The falcon, hornet and cossie I am not fussed about. The 959 was a waste, because it was complete and tamiya haven't released anything like it since.

The 2 F1 cars would have been nice to have gone to a restorer home. I never realised he close to the first RC car they were. I am just glad they weren't black porsches and that my Dad doesn't now how collectable his cars were. :)

Live and learn indeed. :D

The falcon, hornet and cossie I am not fussed about. The 959 was a waste, because it was complete and tamiya haven't released anything like it since.

The 2 F1 cars would have been nice to have gone to a restorer home. I never realised he close to the first RC car they were. I am just glad they weren't black porsches and that my Dad doesn't now how collectable his cars were. :)

Live and learn indeed. :D

Yeah... about early RC cars... This story suddenly comes up out of my big memory archives...

A friend of my uncle had a 1/8 Nitro RC car... He gave it to my uncle, and my uncle gave it to us (my father, brother and me). It must have been really old... It had NO suspenion, NO clear mounting places for servos, electronics and stuff. He had made a wood base for that himself. The motors were'nt turning anymore, but my father managed to get one running (but it was rather stuttering than running actually) :P

It had a 911 body with decals of the tamiya logo on it, but it can't really have been a tamiya I think? They haven't made any suspension-less 1/8 Nitro cars...? I think it must have an early Kyosho or something (they already had early RC cars early/halfway the 70's didn't they)?

I don't have any photos of it anymore, and my father sold it a year or two years ago :D For something like 25 euros!!! Quite a pity, I wasn't into collecting RC stuff as much as I am now, I didn't think it was worth anything either, but we should have really kept it... It had some parts missing, but so what? The chassis was straight, it had the most important parts, the body was uncracked and it had old radiogear too! (I doubt it is from the same period as the car, but certainly vintage)...

I can only think and hope that it has gone to a good home and it's restored now and not binned... And it would be even better if it turns out that it's a dutch TC member who bought it... So If someone has bought a Gold/Black Porsche 911 about one/two years ago and reads this.... :)

look on the bright side; you may have made some dumpster-diver's day! B)

can you just imagine some poor old sod, rummaging about in the garbage. looking for a slightly used twinkie, or maybe 1/2 a mcdonald's hamburger, and VIOLA, he finds a nice porsche or hornet instead.

i know i'd be happier with that find than 1/2 a nasty burger. :D

A similar thing happened when I crashed my Nikko Sky Ace (or was it Sky Master?) It was an RTF electric 2ch plane that I got for Christmas around 1993-4. I didn't fly it much as I never had the feel for flying at that age (about 14), but a friend of mine was into nitro planes and he agreed to teach me.

Ony sunny spring morn we charged up the batteries and spent all day flying. Charge, fly, charge, fly, charge, fly, over and over. My flying skills were coming on leaps and bounds, and my friend was getting so used to the light and stable airframe that he was practicing stunts. And then it happened - I lost direction and turned the wrong way, and just skimmed some overhead electricity cables, chopping off the band that held the wing in place. The plane nosedived and the tail came off.

No bother, we put it back together with pins and glue and gave it an hour to set, then took it back for another fly. I launched and my friend pilotted. It began to rise in a beautiful controlled circle, and rose, and rose, and rose. We'd forgotten to reconnect the pushrods :D

Over the hill it went, and off we went after it, but it went into a private driveway where all the houses had high walls and lots of trees. We tried looking for it but got lots of unpleasant looks from local residents, so decided to call it a day.

The next day at school I was talking to a younger boy who lived in that area. "You didn't find a plane in your garden, did you?" I asked.

"Oh, yes!" He said. "Was that yours? It had hit the pavement and was all smashed up into little pieces."

"Oh well, I'll come and pick it up later on." I said.

"Er, no, it was so broke we threw it away..." Complete with motor, radio gear, and battery!!

A new fuselage, prop and wing wouldn't have been costly, and the electronics would probably have survived. :D

About 12 years ago I was given (yes, given!) an original 3-speed Hilux. It was a bit bashed but complete. I modified a battery pack and locked it into gear (I had no 4ch transmitter) and took it for a drive - but it was too heavy to turn quickly, and it clipped a wooden post, destroying the front axle. Around 1996 there was no place to get spares (no ebay or internet!) so it sat on my shelf for a decade until I sold it on TC. In many ways I really regret running it, thinking it was going to be just like my grasshopper in terms of performance. In some ways I regret selling it, as it would have been an easy restore and a great scale runner. But we live and learn, eh?

It's because of these little mistakes that we can sometimes still find the odd bargain at car boot sales and the like :)