sandmann

A Vintage Collection I'd Call 'great'

Good lord, how does one come accross so many NIB vinatge items?? Is there a farm some place that is growing vinatge tamiya's?? :D

What I don't understand is why he's a private person but still there's a huge article about his amazing collection... :D

I'm sure he's familiar with TC so it may be one day, he will add his collection here.

That would be great, don't you think? :)

Good lord, how does one come accross so many NIB vinatge items?? I
The same places everyone else buys them. If you have ever been bidding on ebay on anything particularly rare for the past couple of years and typischdesign had placed a bid (he always bid early - it scares us all off :D) you knew you weren't going to win :)

At least you knew it has going to a good home.

Wow, he must be very, very wealthy.

This is just amazing, something I will never reach in my life. When you can outbid everyone on ebay, well you know what I want to say...

Maybe it's a bit jealousy, but also amazement of his passion and collection.

Make it your own personal goal, set your soul on achieving it and you could get there!

so sez Anthony Robbins, Napoleon Hill, Robert Kiyosaki, Donad Trump etc etc :D

At least you knew it has going to a good home.

well NOW we do. :)

Some yrs back didn't some of us start speculating what TD did with all his NIB purchases...

guesses varied between stuffing them all into a underground bunker or throwing into a huge bonfire. :D

What I don't understand is why he's a private person but still there's a huge article about his amazing collection... :unsure:

Perhaps he doesnt really care for some members (here AND other forums), general disdain for large collections....While I cant speak speak for him - I am sure he doesnt appear on the forums for a good reason. I know if I saw threads like the ones we have had on other members large collections - eg. Hong Kong - I would stay away too. :D:rolleyes::P

Cheers

Darryn

While I cant speak speak for him - I am sure he doesnt appear on the forums for a good reason. . ;):unsure:;)

Cheers

Darryn

If i have a collection like his or Hong Kong who has time for the forums. I'll be too busy playing, building, cleaning, crashing ...my RC to do anything else ;)

Well I for one would be most grateful to have such an experienced R/C enthusiast in our "family" here at TC :unsure:

Good luck to the guy. Also the thought occurs that the larger the collection that someone has of runners, the more likely they are to want to come to meetings and play R/C with the rest of us!

Cheers,

Alistair G.

An excellent article on a truly fantastic collection!

Another great thing about it is that it proves what there are huge collections out there. This really shows that people like Hong Kong, Loaded and their likes need not have their collections questioned just because they are almost too good to be true. :rolleyes:

The system he is using for shelving looks like the Schulte Profi system. It is a galvanised no bolt system (although the modular one can use bolts), made in Germany with very high tolerances. They make a modular system and some pre packed shelving units sold from hobby DIY shops like OBI, Hornbach and Baumax etc. I use it myself, it is a superb system and made to the most exact of standards. From the pictures I can't be sure, but anyone looking for a similar system would do well to check it out, even if it isn't.

Schulte German website

Although I do all my own work on building my cars (unless of course they were bought built - or special parts used from Radek or J-man) and maintenance etc, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this collector employing people to do things for him. After all there isn't enough time in the day sometimes. It isn't as if Lewis Hamilton does his own pit stops.

Paul.

After all there isn't enough time in the day sometimes. It isn't as if Lewis Hamilton does his own pit stops.

That's a great idea!

I'll call Max Mosley right away!

Hmm, maybe not, he's probably busy too...

As we say in Holland: Druk druk druk!

Grtz Dee.

Regarding the Ziploc bags, the Ziploc company (Johnson) themselves make them in the following sizes:

Large 1.25 ft. x 1.25 ft., 5 per box

Xtra Large 2 ft. x 1.7 ft., 4 per box

XXtra Large 2 ft. x 2.7 ft., 3 per box

For those in Metric countries, that is about 37x37, 60x50 and 60x80 (mental arithmetic, could be slightly out). Either way, the XXL should house a 3 speed without too much difficulty. I don't use these myself, but plan on ordering some soon now I have finished my showroom organisation.

These bags have been credited with saving personal possessions during hurricane Katrina and apparently are still being found with dry items in under the mud. Have a look on Google if this sort of 'rubber duck' story interests you.

Paul.

Thanks loaded i have taken a look at there site and noted they sell them branded as a "big pack" if you find some wear in europe that sells these (or the uk) could you let me know, thanks.

There are a couple of eBay vendors who sell this product and ship to the UK. Prices for the item are low, but the shipping high. Ask for a quote for a reasonable quantity.

Paul.

Darryn,

thank you mate for your friendly words.icon1.gif

In the matter of fact I simply do not have enough time to answer more mails and to share such a great community, but on the other side I wish I could share my hobby with other real entusiast.

Hope all is well with you. It is quite a while back our last conversation...

Best greetings to down under

Olivier

Welcome to the club Olivier, you are surely one of the most respected and admired collectors out there.

Welcome Olivier! I can't tell you how many times you've outbid me on ebay. :D It's good to see everything is going to a good home. You have an amazing collection.

I'm sure he's familiar with TC so it may be one day, he will add his collection here.

That would be great, don't you think? :)

I still think it's great to have Olivier aboard!

Welcome matey!

Man, I hope to see your collection in your showroom one day (probably need more than just one day to add them... :D )

"I have a few"...now, that's an understatement!

Please do!

Grtz from the border,

Dee.

Welcome Olivier! I can't tell you how many times you've outbid me on ebay. :P It's good to see everything is going to a good home. You have an amazing collection.

Same boat here Olivier. Nice to know that our beloved hobby will be well preserved. Fantastic collection and nice to finally see the man behind the ebayer.

well thats a pretty good collection you have there. Being 13 years old and probably the youngest rc collector in the world, (if anyone younger than me has rebuilt 2 959s, a super champ, monster beetle, nichimo lancia stratos(bet you dont have that in your collection hehe) and a hpi sprint ill be damned.) its collections like this that really inspire you. I now have a target to have at least 80 vintage tamiyas(not nib i rather have them displayed than in boxes) by the time im 20. I think i may struggle abit because being 13 i dont have a job and my collection survives on my dads paypal and freebies sent to me by other members. Any way lovely collection but what do you with them? I mean seriously what can you do with loads of nib cars? I suppose the built ones you drive but you can only drive one at a time. Also what kind of radio gear do you use for your runners, thats if you have any runners?

Regards

dazaa

Darryn,

thank you mate for your friendly words.icon1.gif

In the matter of fact I simply do not have enough time to answer more mails and to share such a great community, but on the other side I wish I could share my hobby with other real entusiast.

Hope all is well with you. It is quite a while back our last conversation...

Best greetings to down under

Olivier

Hello my friend,

My pleasure to speak the truth as I know it - rather than speculate.

I will give you a call this weekend mate.

It will be great to catch up - it has indeed been a while!

Cheers

Darryn

Slightly off topic, but I recall commenting on the Ziploc bags and the schulte shelving units in this thread a while ago.

Here is a picture of what one of these bags is capable of holding in the XXL size.

This is a Blazing Blazer NIB kit, which for those of you who haven't seen one in the flesh, is about the largest kit box Tamiya ever made.

post-6426-1227121547.jpg

I couldn't fit it in one post, but here is the Schulte no bolt system photo as well:

OK, well that didn't work.

I will try later.

I would like to say welcome Olivier, I am really happy you decided to post and make your presence felt. And your collection is the ULTIMATE.. Well I feel better about getting outbid on those Vintage NIB's :lol: on ebay...