RichieRich

Kyosho Gold Vs Duratrax Gold

I know this question has been asked many times. B) Anyways, quick story: Back in the late 80s, I was looking for some shocks for my Turbo Ultima. I didn't like the platinums that the car came with. So, since I couldn't afford the Kyosho Golds, I got the Duratrax Golds. They are nearly identical, but after a careful analysis, they are very different. So, I didn't like the way those worked out so I let my brother borrow them for his Kyosho Outrage. Massive upgrade for the outrage since it came standard with friction shocks.

Fast forward to last Sunday. I'm digging around in my parent's garage and there are the Duratrax golds attached to an Outrage carcass. Well, at least the front shocks, I couldn't find the rears.

Let's have a little fun with this. Which shocks are the Kyoshos?

gold2.jpg

post-1020-1302906436_thumb.jpg

Obviously a very similar design, too bad Duratrax cheaped out on adding a second o ring... Interestingly, it looks like you can add a second o ring by not installing one of the two spacers.

Looking at the pic it looks like the Duratrax shock shaft is a smaller diameter than Kyosho's?!

both are same, both are duratrax cause i don't think that Kyosho gold uses a black piston.

I know this question has been asked many times. ;) Anyways, quick story: Back in the late 80s, I was looking for some shocks for my Turbo Ultima. I didn't like the platinums that the car came with. So, since I couldn't afford the Kyosho Golds, I got the Duratrax Golds. They are nearly identical, but after a careful analysis, they are very different. So, I didn't like the way those worked out so I let my brother borrow them for his Kyosho Outrage. Massive upgrade for the outrage since it came standard with friction shocks.

Fast forward to last Sunday. I'm digging around in my parent's garage and there are the Duratrax golds attached to an Outrage carcass. Well, at least the front shocks, I couldn't find the rears.

Let's have a little fun with this. Which shocks are the Kyoshos?

gold2.jpg

ooo oooh! ^_^

LOL, no idea, but interested in the answer and side by side photos if they are not both shown already.

Me too, I have fond memories of playing with those fine Kyosho god shocks. You could actually keep them in your pocket to carry around and play with, as opposed to the tamiya ones which you know could always suddenly leak ;)

Just to clarify, there is one Kyosho and one Duratrax in the photo. The Kyosho one came right off my Turbo Optima. Yes, they are well used. :D

I'm not saying anything but it's easy to tell which is which - the Duraleaks are built as cheap as possible, even down to the number of seals they use. They weren't nicknamed Duraleaks for nothing :D

moreover Kyosho Gold and Duratrax golds differ in their gold color, and those looks the same. Is there any other proof that one of them is Kyosho Gold other than it was removed from a Turbo Optima ?

Just to clarify, there is one Kyosho and one Duratrax in the photo. The Kyosho one came right off my Turbo Optima. Yes, they are well used. B)

moreover Kyosho Gold and Duratrax golds differ in their gold color, and those looks the same. Is there any other proof that one of them is Kyosho Gold other than it was removed from a Turbo Optima ?

Well, here's exhibit A proving that the gold color doesn't always differ. I will post the answer later today, but Terry has already given a huge hint. :D

Alright. The Kysoho shock is the one on top. The Kyosho gold shocks have two o-ring seals on the bottom of the shock body. The pistons are different even though they are the same color. The shock shafts and shock bodies are longer than the Duratrax shocks.

I love Kyosho gold shocks - for me they epitomize vintage rc. When I had a Turbo Ultima back in the late 80s, I was excited to get the platinum "upgrades," but they were such a disappointment - go gold ;-).

Top one is Kyosho...ok I'm a little late.

I have a set of front Kyosho Gold shocks. One has a badly damaged shock shaft. Is there a current Kyosho shaft with the same thickness and length that will work with the Kyosho Gold front shocks? It is for a runner so it does not need to be the original part.

Shucks, this means it's pretty easy for those holding onto Duratrax shocks, adding another o-ring and passing them off as kyoshos to unsuspecting buyers/collectors?

sigh....I gotta break open all my gold shocks now just to see if I got suckered..... :lol:

Actually, I don't think it's possible to double o-ring a duratrax shock. There's not enough room.

so then, since I'm having such a hard time getting a set of Gold Kyosho ones for my Custom Special mid, could I just get a set of the Duratrax ones?

There won't be any oil going in, so leakage not an issue.

If anyone can supply a part number, or where to get them that would be great !

Richie????

Yes? :)

These are the part numbers I have:

DTXC3500 - set of two 3" shocks

DTXC3501 - set of two 4" shocks

If you do a google search, you'll get some hits for some hobby shops that may have them in stock. Try giving a few of them a call. The people at happyhobby.com always seem pretty helpful.