sgt.barnes

Why So Cheap?

Just got this from Ebay. The last 1/8th kyosho buggy I had was rossendale models ex shop sponsored turbo burns about 10 years ago, It was mega bucks back in the day. I just landed this for 70 almost ready to run. I cannot believe its this cheap ! the guy had listed it twice before on a BIN for 60 or so quid to no avail. Is it a duff version or unpopular ? I just bought it as a cheap basher so it does not have to win any races. Is it any good ? are the parts cheap ?

P.S. auction has ended so hears the link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N:IT&ih=012

Cheers!

Mark

cheap 'cos they're getting pretty OLD?? 10y+

that's a Mk II DX anyways... you've got the metal pipe, bigger engine head, some blue bits, molded wing.

I've had the original DX since new (plastic pipe, small head, lexan wing, screwtop tank, bushings)

Kyosho engine likes running hot, so they can be not that easy to tune right.

Mount is tri-screw... bit hard getting a conventional mount in, but you could

just put another Kyosho engine in i guess.

Parts are original Inferno, could be hard to find these days but i've never broken any - its a tough ******.

Quite common to come back with the chassis bent from jumping, same with shock towers.

Common cure is to doubleup... use 2 of them back2back.

For handling... stock 3 diffs means it'll diffout anytime 1 wheel is off the ground.

Centre LSD helps, as does filling the F &R diffs with thick silicone grease.

Tyres need inserts.

cheap 'cos they're getting pretty OLD?? 10y+

that's a Mk II DX anyways... you've got the metal pipe, bigger engine head, some blue bits, molded wing.

I've had the original DX since new (plastic pipe, small head, lexan wing, screwtop tank, bushings)

Kyosho engine likes running hot, so they can be not that easy to tune right.

Mount is tri-screw... bit hard getting a conventional mount in, but you could

just put another Kyosho engine in i guess.

Parts are original Inferno, could be hard to find these days but i've never broken any - its a tough ******.

Quite common to come back with the chassis bent from jumping, same with shock towers.

Common cure is to doubleup... use 2 of them back2back.

For handling... stock 3 diffs means it'll diffout anytime 1 wheel is off the ground.

Centre LSD helps, as does filling the F &R diffs with thick silicone grease.

Tyres need inserts.

Thanks willychang thats really useful to know. I dont think the diff will matter as I will not be racing it as I said so quick in the bend will be no advantage, but interesting about the shock towers etc. Is there any aftermarket stuff availible Eg-carbon replacements ?

Thanks willychang thats really useful to know. I dont think the diff will matter as I will not be racing it as I said so quick in the bend will be no advantage, but interesting about the shock towers etc. Is there any aftermarket stuff availible Eg-carbon replacements ?

official kyosho video:

CF will shatter if you land on them, stick to ally... they may bend but still remain usable. :angry:

re the diffs... its no fun losing drive whenever 1 wheel has no traction;

centre LSD was worth it. Mine's never seen a track anyway.

I had some issues with stripping the spur gear, original kit gear (molded plastic) didn't last long.

Replaced it with Inferno's metal gear & the bits needed to mount it (which was the LSD),

then this skinny gear chewed out the centre strip in the clutchbell pinion.

Solved by putting a 2nd metal spur back2back and a hardened clutchbell. :D

Any pebbles going in now just gets pulverised.

Then again... if you like 1/8 offroading so much, just get a new 7.5 Sport... they look like a bargain!!

yep, the pink one is the original DX which is what i have

Bought it 'cos imho its the very first "real" 1/8 buggy with a pullstart, which is what i wanted for parkbashing.

We'd walk there with just a glostarter and fuelbottle in the pocket; don't even need a tuning screwdriver.

In the video you can see the smaller engine head (hot!), plastic pipe (melted) and screwtop fueltank (junked).

Surprisingly... in the 16 yrs since i got it... hasn't been any major revolutionary improvements in 1/8 buggy.

Probably the only one that i think looks 'better' is the Xray XB8, just love their engineering designs.

yep, the pink one is the original DX which is what i have

Bought it 'cos imho its the very first "real" 1/8 buggy with a pullstart, which is what i wanted for parkbashing.

We'd walk there with just a glostarter and fuelbottle in the pocket; don't even need a tuning screwdriver.

In the video you can see the smaller engine head (hot!), plastic pipe (melted) and screwtop fueltank (junked).

Surprisingly... in the 16 yrs since i got it... hasn't been any major revolutionary improvements in 1/8 buggy.

Probably the only one that i think looks 'better' is the Xray XB8, just love their engineering designs.

great video guys! thanks for that. the modding info is greatly appreciated. Looks like there is an abundance of parts too. I look forward to getting it now :D

i suspect quite a few parts from the later Kanai III, 4.5, 5.5, 7.5 etc could be made to fit with some fiddling

if you're desperate to replace a broken arm etc etc... never know till you try

OOOH XRAY ALL NEW "808"... betcha NONE of last year's XB8 parts will fit that :D

The INFERNO DX is the beginner version of the classic INFERNO sereis which include;

INFERNO 4WD 1991

InfernoClassic.jpg

5-2.jpg

TURBO INFERNO 1993

TurboInferno.jpg

P1020985.jpg

INFERNO DX 1992

INFERNO DX II 1994

similar to the one you have

Just got this from Ebay. The last 1/8th kyosho buggy I had was rossendale models ex shop sponsored turbo burns about 10 years ago, It was mega bucks back in the day. I just landed this for 70 almost ready to run. I cannot believe its this cheap ! the guy had listed it twice before on a BIN for 60 or so quid to no avail. Is it a duff version or unpopular ? I just bought it as a cheap basher so it does not have to win any races. Is it any good ? are the parts cheap ?

P.S. auction has ended so hears the link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N:IT&ih=012

Cheers!

Mark

Great pics again! Thank you guys. What are the main physical differences between the turbo and my DX ? Are there any parts that are worth changing to the turbo version as well as the diffs eg: strut braces, wishbones, uprights etc? Is it worth it or should I just re-enforce the towers and mod the diff oil viscosity ?

Thanks

Mark

The gap is big between the Turbo and the DX; main differences are:

1- Shocks

2- Chassis

3- Diffs and components and all gears.

4- Front and rear Stabilizers.

I don't recommend upgrading the DX to Turbo.

see the Turbo Inferno exploded view below;

TURBOINFERNOEXPLODEDVIEW-1.jpg

Great pics again! Thank you guys. What are the main physical differences between the turbo and my DX ? Are there any parts that are worth changing to the turbo version as well as the diffs eg: strut braces, wishbones, uprights etc? Is it worth it or should I just re-enforce the towers and mod the diff oil viscosity ?

Thanks

Mark

Right ! Leave as is then. Thanks for your help. I will get some shots when it arrives.

Thanks guys

Mark

Update:

Hi Guys
I have started the restoration of my DX . I am still not quite convinced I have placed the version of this buggy yet. It has either been partially upgraded at some point with turbo parts or the only other buggy I can link it too is a buggy called a DX Limited ? A halfway house between the DXII and the DX original by all accounts. Please see link below.

Kyosho Inferno DX Limited

Does anyone have any further info on this buggy ? It appears to be the closest thing visually to my Inferno. The only thing mine does not have is the anti roll bar, but I suppose they could have been removed earlier in the buggy's life. Are there any features that could positively ID mine. At the moment it has Alloy shocks, bigger head and tuned pipe. It appears to have metal body diffs front and rear but not center (plastic center) ? Fully ball raced, but no front UJ's and blue alloy center diff strut, front brace and swing arms braces but a silver chassis. It appears outwardly just like the one on the bottom picture on the link above. I will post some pics tonight of mine as is is at the moment. I' am half way through the rebuild. I have reconditioned the engine and most of the alloy parts and I'am in the middle of the front assembly.

My DX Before Restoration

Thanks for any help
Mark (sgt.barnes)

Forgot to mention its a 4 point engine mount with no separate mounting plates not the older three point.

Hi,

Your Inferno is the DX Limited, the main revised parts from DX to DX Limited are:

A- BS64 Alloy muffler with coupling instead of BS123 plastic muffler and BS124 rubber coupling.
B- BS65 revised fuel tank instead of the old drsign BS28.
C- BSW27 and BSW28 Big alloy Pressure Shocks instead of the 2000 and 2001 plastic shocks.
D- BSW71 nylon wing instead of BSW5 lexan wing.
E- GT28 2 speed compatible Chassis instead of BS120 single speed chassis.

Hi,

Your Inferno is the DX Limited, the main revised parts from DX to DX Limited are:

A- BS64 Alloy muffler with coupling instead of BS123 plastic muffler and BS124 rubber coupling.

B- BS65 revised fuel tank instead of the old drsign BS28.

C- BSW27 and BSW28 Big alloy Pressure Shocks instead of the 2000 and 2001 plastic shocks.

D- BSW71 nylon wing instead of BSW5 lexan wing.

E- GT28 2 speed compatible Chassis instead of BS120 single speed chassis.

Many thanks for that. I suspected as much. It should be finished this weekend so I will post some pics of it shortly

Thanks

mark