Sign in to follow this  
Chilihook

Looks Like I'm Going To Need A Little More Info About The Wild One...

Here 'tis-

wildone.jpg.16958bf24872a76df5e2f05fe7b7862d.jpg

Hopefully will have it in a week or so. And yes, it will be a runner... whether it is pristine or not. This is THE car that I always wanted as a kid.

I remember an ad that was in one of the first RC Car Action magazines that showed the Wild One with and a set of double-wide rear tires with skis where the front wheels would ordinarily be for playing in the snow. I guess I've wanted one ever since.

See, dreams do come true! :P:D

Edited by Chilihook
bad photobucket links

Looks liek a nice runner. the gearboxes can be problematic. I would advise a complete teardown. The best upgrade is a vintage thorp diff but the stock diff can be mnade usable. Download the manual to make sure you got all the washers in it. The new dogbone outdrives from the re-re frog would be a great upgrade.

Good one -- I was watching that one closely as it looks so complete and original. I have been watching the selling prices of Wild Ones for a couple of months now and I think you got a good deal as well.

Looks liek a nice runner. the gearboxes can be problematic. I would advise a complete teardown. The best upgrade is a vintage thorp diff but the stock diff can be mnade usable. Download the manual to make sure you got all the washers in it. The new dogbone outdrives from the re-re frog would be a great upgrade.

Oh yeah, it'll get completely disassembled, cleaned, and have the upgraded bits for the tranny installed. I did the same thing to the Blackfoot I got a while ago. Seems like it's the smart thing to do.

Good one -- I was watching that one closely as it looks so complete and original. I have been watching the selling prices of Wild Ones for a couple of months now and I think you got a good deal as well.

Thanks! I agree, if it is complete as it looks, I think I got a good price as well. With about 5 seconds to go in the auction, the price jumped up about $30, thought I was going to get it for a steal. I should've known better, but hey, I'm not complaining! Prices on Wild Ones do seem to have gone up recently. While I was just starting to get back into the hobby, I was seeing sooo many things on ebay (Christmas time) I thought they were all over the place and relatively cheap. I didn't realize then, that people sell their stuff like crazy around the holidays. Duh.

I thought I recognized your screen name... I saw something you're auctioning that had my interest as well. Good luck with your sale!

Advice for a runner wild one with stock diff is replace the red spacer with an 850 brass bushing.

Good advice! Um, what's an 850 brass bushing and where can I find one? :lol:B)

Its a small brass bush (err best way I can explain it) dimensions our outer diameter 8mm inner diameter 5mm (found in many Tamiya kits) if you struggle to find one let me know Im sure I have one spare.

I have built a few wild ones and it seems like the gearboxes are never the same. Variations in bearing width and how much your able to seat the bearing in the gearbox sides make a huge difference on the survivability of the diff gears. My recomend is to get a few thin 5mm shims and keep shimming until the diff is slightly tight. The wear in will make it just right.

Is this a bushing that would ordinarily be replaced by a bearing? And if it is, would shimming it affect its ability to spin smoothly? If it isn't replaced by a bearing, then just replace it as needed?

No the kit wild one transmission/gearbox is built and has a little red space (measures 8mm x5mm - 850), if you fit bearings in the wildone the red spacer still remains. In use the red spacer wears and reduces in size allowing movement and diff gears spread apart, which causes the clicking sound. The simple fix is to take an 850 brass bush that is used in some cars and replace that red spacer (the brass bush will not wear any where as quickly as a red plastic spacer)

Biggus, you keep mentioning a red spacer but it my recollection that there is a flat metal washer, a washer with the sides folded over and then a plastic spacer that is white in color.

post-1039-1206556685.jpg

Maybe this difference is due to the ages of the kits you each have? You know, one is slightly newer than the other type thing. So if it has the washer instead of the red plastic spacer, that should be replaced as well?

Biggus, you keep mentioning a red spacer but it my recollection that there is a flat metal washer, a washer with the sides folded over and then a plastic spacer that is white in color.

post-1039-1206556685.jpg

Correct Jim :lol: