Chilihook

Look What Came In The Mail...

Man! That was fast!

Won the auction Sunday night, have the car in hand Wednesday afternoon!

Were this a real car, it'd be called a "twenty-footer." Looks awesome from 20 ft away, looks okay closer up. I don't mean to make this sound bad, because it is far from it. It seems that all it really needs is disassembly, inspection, replacing any worn-out or broken parts and a serious cleaning. Serious. I think it got put away with all the shocks leaking!

Serious bonus though: no cracks anywhere that I spotted on a fairly thorough investigation. I'll know more once it is disassembled.

Here are the pics!

DSCF3803.JPG.8635420400a4bbba26e4b331d3f2640e.JPGDSCF3802.JPG.aaa1a33e2e8d4bfc5ab1278c30ab9ac6.JPGDSCF3799.JPG.610061e35afb409b7b6ccabe0c446881.JPGDSCF3798.JPG.731b9e9ed5c99546969e40600395cb81.JPGDSCF3796.JPG.ed11c8eb01ff47dbc80ea9bb50a9dc0d.JPGDSCF3795.JPG.bc183332dcca67a34a996ca5cb1d1cab.JPGDSCF3794.JPG.809a3c5a30c972892db90512e9ef50b4.JPGDSCF3792.JPG.97ee2aefd88f3133429987c6fde96872.JPGDSCF3791.JPG.71bdc8913582b1f16b1d50a649826d93.JPGDSCF3790.JPG.cab13a2bc62162d9a2606cb4196c41b4.JPG

A nice view!

DSCF3801.JPG.2d23281ed3ed110072f709cece9fd829.JPG

Any thoughts, opinions, or advice on how to approach this project is, as always, greatly appreciated!

Edited by Chilihook
bad photobucket links

Approach with great gusto and enthusiasm :lol:

Sounds like you're very happy with the purchase.

Don't forget to capture it all on camera we all like to see journey to shelf queen.

Good luck with the strip & rebuild.

Grizy

Looking good, especially next to its brother the Fox. I hope you have a good time with this one too. I do hope you will run it. If the shocks are that bad, I could look into my piles of parts and see if I have any spares.

That looks like in pretty good nick, shouldn't be any nasty surprises.

Hopefully those are the original rear tyres, they look barely worn - so rest of car should be ok.

No bearings on the front wheels = unlikely to be extra bearings at the rear,

low use so the gearbox innards should be ok still.

No stretchmarks on the chassis tub either, so it mustn't have been jumped off rooftops :lol:

All the red parts are evenly coloured, not significantly lighter/darker like some cars i've seen.

(Oil darkens it & sunlight bleaches it, but not all at the same rate)

Have it on good authority from another member that Tamiya made two different shades of Red parts on the Wild One trees and I have a couple of Boomerang parts trees in TWO shades of blue and NOT from sitting in the sunlight waiting in the hobby shop, just molded that way. Some weirdness going on in the Tamiya factory, or maybe just Friday Follies.

Thats had it.Send it to me and i`ll dispose of it properly for you! :lol:

I guess you know you have a decent find when you have people in other countries offer to properly dispose of it for you! ;)

I'm away all next week for work (Florida, tough at the end of March, huh?) and wont be able to do any work on the car, but will try my best to have at it the weekend I get back. I am very curious about those shocks... Although I'm sure the wife will have more than enough projects to keep me busy!

Needless to say, I didn't get to do anything with the car that weekend way back when. Still haven't. That was the exact day the offer came in on our house! The W.O. is in storage at the moment, EXCEPTIONALLY well packed. When I get it out again and have the time to get going on things again, a new rebuild post for this car will start.

Missed being around the forum and am looking forward to getting back into it again soon!

I don't really see the problem about the serious cleaning... I would do that with any car I buy, and replace worn parts, but it's far less dirty and dusty than my rally car, which has been cleaned with nothing more than a toothbrush after it's through clean and reassembly when it got here.

It looks lovely! I'd say it looks mint so far (now hope the gearbox is in a good condition too) :D