Singapore_959

New Dyna Storm Parts

I can say for definite that the DS is great fun with a Novak SS5800 setup hiding in there (seriously tight fit though!).

Entertainingly fast, but required suspension changes due to the weight of the motor.

Will try to video it next time it gets taken out for a run - that's if the wife allows me to play with it as it belongs to her!

Steve

WAAAAAAAYHEYYY! :PB)

Another Dyna being enjoyed! :)

Congratulations and looks very nice! Yes, the colour coding is neat. But now you need to get the colour of some street or offroad dust on it! ;)

I will be interested how your brushless goes. You may want to open the tiny vent in the bodyshell infront of the esc to let some air in - or maybe not, let us know how it goes. That is a good fit - Tamiya usually pick the right items :P Go out an enjoy it!!

I am not sure why you want to glue the frp parts sides. I have only ever glued carbon part sides as they can splinter and cut. I've never had Tamiya frp parts delam on me and the frp has never cut or split on me either; and I have driven my cars in pouring rain, mud and scorching sun. So I wouldn't worry about disassembling your DS for that, imo.

You might want to lower the front a touch, and make sure you have thick oil in the rear dampers. I like these modern receivers too, so tiny. Nice shiney wheel nuts!

Just looking at your nice tires, if you want a used set to burn up the tarmac with give me a shout.

Tizer - Nimrod are toying with the idea of a couple of ltd run complete cars, but the current process is parts where improvements are genuinely worthwhile or where original parts are no longer available. The clutch is currently being tested. How how I hate helping nimrod out! :P:(

I know, it will get some dust on it soon, because in that case I won't take apart my DS! :D I figured that if CA'ing the carbon plates would be a good thing, so would it be on FRP plates, but I'll try without it then (since my experience with FRP and carbon is very, very limited).

I am also very interested to see how this brushless system goes - I picked it over an EZrun system because I thought Tamiya would be a safe choice on quality, and really, a 100A limit on the ESC vs. 60A on the new EZrun systems and only 35A on the old one really shows that Tamiya did put some reserve into it - Plus it has some adjustability features I have yet to check out. I'll let you guys know how it runs. And for the ESC cooling, I was thinking of either making the vent into a real one on the left side, or adding holes on top of the sidepod. If I do one of these mods though, I will add a mesh in the opening to prevent big dirt from entering the chassis.

As for the setup, this is built to manual stock, and I will work from there to see what works best for me. I am pretty certain though that it indeed needs adjustment to improve the handling characteristics :P

Ok, I drove it today, and...

How can someone NOT love this!!!?? :o Really, it such an amazing thrill driving it! The suspension works just perfectly, the balance between the neutral handling, understeer and oversteer is so good, it's really the nicest car I have ever, ever driven! ;):wub: :wub: The setup would at it's most need slight adjustment, but this thing really goes so well, I wouldn't even dare to drastically change the setup of the car!

As for the setup in my car, a beefier servo will be ordered soon, I might tighten the MDC just a bit, and I will need a bigger motor pinion (acceleration vs. top speed is a little out of balance so it seems), but the speed from the Brushless setup is perfect, it's superbly silent and it goes like badword! Really a mean machine! :blink:

Oh, and you don't even have to guess if those Blade wheels will be ordered soon and fitted on this car! :unsure::P

Ok, I drove it today, and...

How can someone NOT love this!!!?? :o Really, it such an amazing thrill driving it! The suspension works just perfectly, the balance between the neutral handling, understeer and oversteer is so good, it's really the nicest car I have ever, ever driven! :blink:;):wub:

Hehehe :P:wub: I take it you can now say the word ... POWERSLIDE !!!! :o:D

Glad to hear it! Post up some picts if you can. I hope your charger is quick enough for you ;-)

Ps. driving on tarmac just after it has rained is even more fun! :D

Slide, slide, slide, Dyna! :unsure:

Sorry if I missed it, but where can I order the reinforced D5 part and how much is it?

I revived my Dyna Blaster some days ago with a Novak XBR 8.5 brushless system and its such a Blast! (pun intended! :unsure: )

It was raced by the previous owner who fitted CF damper stays and a rear stabilizer, so the D5 is broken obviously.

Thanks!

Sorry if I missed it, but where can I order the reinforced D5 part and how much is it?

I revived my Dyna Blaster some days ago with a Novak XBR 8.5 brushless system and its such a Blast! (pun intended! :unsure: )

It was raced by the previous owner who fitted CF damper stays and a rear stabilizer, so the D5 is broken obviously.

Thanks!

;)http://www.nimrod-racing.net/product.php?product_id=179

but I usu find it's best to email them at info @ r-design.hu

how do the DB driveshafts cope? I have found the link pins fall out after a while :blink:

Thanks for the link! I'll drop them a line.

The driveshafts are worn, but fine. I have some NIB kickin around i case they go bad.

Otherwise I have to second what Origineelreclamebord said. Such a great balanced chassis.

I have the same brushless system in my Blitzer Beetle and its not half as controllable as the DB!

:blink:http://www.nimrod-racing.net/product.php?product_id=179

but I usu find it's best to email them at info @ r-design.hu

how do the DB driveshafts cope? I have found the link pins fall out after a while :unsure:

Hehehe :wub: I take it you can now say the word ... POWERSLIDE !!!! :D

Glad to hear it! Post up some picts if you can. I hope your charger is quick enough for you ;-)

Ps. driving on tarmac just after it has rained is even more fun! :D

Slide, slide, slide, Dyna! :unsure:

Oh yes I can! :wub::P Powerslide, big time!

I started out on a surface which had a loose top surface with a medium-hard surface under it, but after two (old) battery packs the spikes had changed the hard surface under it into a deep, soft and sandy surface :blink: It is very controlled as long as it's run on a reasonably soft surface. There were parts where the sand was even more compacted than on other parts without a top surface, and there it couldn't get any grip at all (logicly, with those spikes)! I now just have to find the same kind of surface, but bigger (since the test was on a small patch of ground).

As for the charger, my Graupner Ultramat 14 Plus came in today! It can charge only one battery at a time, but with a current of 0.1-8Ah for Ni.. Cells and 0.05-8Ah for Li.. Cells. So should I be in a hurry, I can crank the current up a bit ;) Now I just have to get either a LiPo, LiFe or NiMh battery and a balancer connector :o Which I am now making a topic about (The last pieces in the chain to complete my investment in decent electronics)!

Loving being able to use the DS properly again. Top job from the guys at Nimrod and can't fault the service either. Seriously considering the new wheels if I can get the cash together.

Quick question to all you guys who run a DS for bashing...

What tyres (and inserts) would you all recommend for general bashing of the poor beastie?

I am seriously considering Schumacher Mini Pins, and probably the blueo nes (might last longer than the yellows). Slim ones for the front (will they fit DS rims?) and standard 4wd rears.

Also thinking about using the Schumacher hard inserts - sensible or daft?

Probably going to grab a set of the same (although the standard 4wd fronts) for the Top Force.

I do sometimes bash on-road, so any thoughts of tyre combos for that would be interesting (or maybe change wheels & tyres for that purpose) - I actually did wonder if Traxxas Bandit wheels / tyres would fit :lol:

Anyway, thanks all in advance

Steve

EDIT: PS Any idea of what pinion would be suitable with a 5800kv brushless motor fitted running on 7.4v LiPo, and a part number / link as to where to get it from

Loving being able to use the DS properly again. Top job from the guys at Nimrod and can't fault the service either. Seriously considering the new wheels if I can get the cash together.

Quick question to all you guys who run a DS for bashing...

What tyres (and inserts) would you all recommend for general bashing of the poor beastie?

I am seriously considering Schumacher Mini Pins, and probably the blueo nes (might last longer than the yellows). Slim ones for the front (will they fit DS rims?) and standard 4wd rears.

Also thinking about using the Schumacher hard inserts - sensible or daft?

Probably going to grab a set of the same (although the standard 4wd fronts) for the Top Force.

I do sometimes bash on-road, so any thoughts of tyre combos for that would be interesting (or maybe change wheels & tyres for that purpose) - I actually did wonder if Traxxas Bandit wheels / tyres would fit :)

Anyway, thanks all in advance

Steve

EDIT: PS Any idea of what pinion would be suitable with a 5800kv brushless motor fitted running on 7.4v LiPo, and a part number / link as to where to get it from

Tire choice really depends on the terrain you're running on. From what I've heard, the tiny spikes like many modern buggies often are sold with stock are for running on clay (and hard offroad top surfaces, like hard compacted sand?), whereas the big spikes like the DS has stock are for soft terrain. When you drive the original DS tires on a hard surface it also seems to make sense, the speed and balance is nowhere to be found because the tires can't dig in. Once it gets to even some loose top surface or even deep loose sand the DS with stock tires are in it's element ;)

As for the motor, I'm no expert on all those numbers, but considering my motor needs a gearing of 1:9-11 (and is a 3120kV), I'd think you'll end up with needing the 20, 21 or 22T pinion :P That's as far as my knowledge goes :)

PS: For reference on the gearing, look at page 22 of the DS Manual.

Tire choice really depends on the terrain you're running on. From what I've heard, the tiny spikes like many modern buggies often are sold with stock are for running on clay (and hard offroad top surfaces, like hard compacted sand?), whereas the big spikes like the DS has stock are for soft terrain. When you drive the original DS tires on a hard surface it also seems to make sense, the speed and balance is nowhere to be found because the tires can't dig in. Once it gets to even some loose top surface or even deep loose sand the DS with stock tires are in it's element ;)

Got to admit, I loved the stock tyres (before they became slicks) but I'm doing much more driving on hard surfaces. Sometimes Tarmac but mainly short grass, dried mud (quite hard) and dusty gravel areas.

Decisions, decisions :)

If I had the budget I'd get a selection to play with! Why, oh why did I marry an accountant... :)

Got to admit, I loved the stock tyres (before they became slicks) but I'm doing much more driving on hard surfaces. Sometimes Tarmac but mainly short grass, dried mud (quite hard) and dusty gravel areas.

Decisions, decisions :)

If I had the budget I'd get a selection to play with! Why, oh why did I marry an accountant... :)

In the uk its ususally these tyres

If you are racing on dirt / grass / astro you want Schumacher Yellow mini spikes all around

If you are racing on carpet / dirt / wooden floor you want schumacher yellow mini spikes

rain.. Ballistic greens

In the uk its ususally these tyres

If you are racing on dirt / grass / astro you want Schumacher Yellow mini spikes all around

If you are racing on carpet / dirt / wooden floor you want schumacher yellow mini spikes

rain.. Ballistic greens

Ah, will think again then. Definitely Mini Spikes instead of Mini Pins then for my sort of terrain. Thanks for that.

I was going on this guide from Fusion Hobbies as a reason for choosing blue - yellow is more suited then?

Blue - General purpose, hard wearing compound.

Green - Slightly softer than Blue, but works right through from wet to dry.

Yellow - Softer. Use on very dry days and indoor (Carpet and polished wood).

Silver - Ultimate dirt/dust tyre. Very soft.

Soft - The CAT original.

Do you know if the pre-mounted Schumacher wheel/tyre combos have inserts in them?

All the best

Steve

Ditto re the tires - schu mini spikes yellow

or tamiya mini pins if not going all out or surface is extremely grippy. (I use DT02 wide front wheels)

Can't remember what inserts I put under the yellow, will check and let you know.

Nimrod are putting together an instruction manual for the complete Dyna Lightning and DS parts. B)

Here is a screenshot of some of it :)

Pierrenek.jpg

And now that reveals the secret part I gave a teaser shot of near the start of this tread. It IS a motor cooling duct, fully integrated into the design of the car, which not only pipes cool air washed over the body directly onto the motor B)B) but also is designed to properly channel the airflow under the wing (increasing the airspeed) so that the wing functions better :) The shape is BEAUTIFUL and incorporates multiple different curvatures and surface shapes. It is a VERY complicated shape and was one of my original design fantasies. :wub::wub:

best put some dirt screen in front of that intake: don't want all the dust to goin the moter :)

mmm, maybe less, but still: you don't want dust in the moter. It's bad for wear on bearings and the rotor axle.

Not too mention what happens if you run a wet track. I've seen brushless moters cogg up because the previous heat was run on a wet track and the hunid air had condensed in the moter by the start of the next heat. I think it was the condensation in the sensor plug that caused a short-circuit.

mmm, maybe less, but still: you don't want dust in the moter. It's bad for wear on bearings and the rotor axle.

Not too mention what happens if you run a wet track. I've seen brushless moters cogg up because the previous heat was run on a wet track and the hunid air had condensed in the moter by the start of the next heat. I think it was the condensation in the sensor plug that caused a short-circuit.

On dusty tracks you can mesh it or remove it. I have found it extremely useful in races on asphalt and carpet. Free cooling!

Some photos of a test Dyna Lightning! :D:)

IMG_9428.jpg

IMG_9432.jpg

IMG_9437.jpg

IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9440.jpg

IMG_9441.jpg

IMG_9445.jpg

IMG_9447.jpg

IMG_9448.jpg

IMG_9449.jpg

I was trying wires of a huge AWG grade, too big to fit thru the motor cable hole we made in the shocktower. For endurance races (2/3 batt packs) we are sticking with the metal gearbox plate. For std 5min races I replace with a carbon plate. The rear wing mount broke here, still deciding what to do with the design - integrated hybrid or straight carbon with the std bolt on mounts.

Almost all the parts you see have passed testing and can be purchased through nimrod-Racing :D

I see Universial-joint drives on the pictures. Any plans for CVD's ?

I see Universial-joint drives on the pictures. Any plans for CVD's ?

Hi Mr. ED!

Possibly, but as the main aim is to keep the cost and style as "Tamiya" as possible the ones in the photo are Dyna Blaster ones as the car in the photos is in wide config.

CVDs are poss as the size wld allow them to be used on the DT02 cars as well. I'll keep you informed of discussions with nimrod about it.

so will they be releasing the wing mounts as a set? i have none of that remember :lol: also what happened with that bodyshell?

What a brilliant Idea:

1001219k100.jpg

Driving the unmodified Dyna Storm with a Team Orion Revolution Modified 11x1, discharging a Team Orion RaceSpec 3800 mAh/ 30C Lipo, motor temperature was about 74 degree celsius.

Using the Blade Wheels and the Motor Cover made by Nimrod Racing, temperature decreased to 68 degree max.

But now, with additional Air Inlet installed, motor body reached barely 52 degree driving the same track.

WOW!

Furthermore it looks absolutely nice in my opinion.

What a brilliant Idea:

1001219k100.jpg

Driving the unmodified Dyna Storm with a Team Orion Revolution Modified 11x1, discharging a Team Orion RaceSpec 3800 mAh/ 30C Lipo, motor temperature was about 74 degree celsius.

Using the Blade Wheels and the Motor Cover made by Nimrod Racing, temperature decreased to 68 degree max.

But now, with additional Air Inlet installed, motor body reached barely 52 degree driving the same track.

WOW!

Furthermore it looks absolutely nice in my opinion.

Excellent! We are very pleased you are happy with the vent, Joe999 :)

It was one of the first items on the redesign and has the most complicated shape of any of the parts designed and made. Thanks for the feedback, Joe999! That mirrors our own testing results during the last race season. THUMBS UP! :D

Joe is our first customer with the part, which comes in white and can be painted if you wish (as he has done).

You can see on Joes Dyna the carbon arms and carbon combined motor guard and heat extractor (the fins angles are specifically designed to remove air as quickly as possible).

Another happy Dyna lover and Dyna in use - YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!!!! :D :D :D

Re the integrated rear shock tower, we are still developing the final material mix and design of the wing mounting so that it is very heavy duty.

We have another complete carbon shell made now and unbelievably it is even lighter than the first and holds the shape perfectly, but there we are not 100% happy with the consistency of the finish over the complete shell so it is not for sale yet.

It's great to get good moments lately and I and the guys at nimrod-Racing thank everyone for contributing to this thread and the development of the Dyna.

:D

so will they be releasing the wing mounts as a set? i have none of that remember :) also what happened with that bodyshell?

You have PM! :D