Singapore_959

New Dyna Storm Parts

Any word yet on your b4 style slipper shaft? I would really like a simplified dual-disk slipper unit. The MDC is really heavy, expensive and over complicated. Plus we have an abundance of Associated parts in my area...

Any word yet on your b4 style slipper shaft? I would really like a simplified dual-disk slipper unit. The MDC is really heavy, expensive and over complicated. Plus we have an abundance of Associated parts in my area...

Hi 94eg! the slipper has been made and the design is good. The machinists are on summer holiday so further production will occur once they are back in approx 14 days. It is as per the image I posted up, what cannot be seen it that the inner gearbox metal hub (the hex shape part) does not have the little teeth in it per the original tamiya. Instead it has a slot to seat a small cross pin, and there is a hole in the gear shaft to slide the pin through.

This reduces the manufacturing cost dramatically. We are using titanium for the entire metal shaft.

The alternative is to send in a shaft and the end part can be machined to fit the new clutch mechanism. This is a halfway option.

I know everyone wants this part quickly, but as this is a very critical part (rotational balance) I am very picky about its testing and tolerances. The machinists saw it several times before summer because of issues noted during testing and nimrod and I want it to function perfectly when people buy and use it. My target is to have it ready for sale by the end of Sept. (which is only 30 days away).

I too cannot wait to get rid of that hunk of weight sitting in our gearboxes at moment! :)

...what cannot be seen it that the inner gearbox metal hub (the hex shape part) does not have the little teeth in it per the original tamiya. Instead it has a slot to seat a small cross pin, and there is a hole in the gear shaft to slide the pin through....

Okay I see. The hex shaped piece is a separate part from the main shaft. This is similar to how the old Losi JRX-Pro gearbox was. The main gear was fixed to the shaft with a cross pin and a couple e-rings...

Here's the Nimrod picutre again for everyone's reference:

DS_gear_ass_01.jpg

Okay I see. The hex shaped piece is a separate part from the main shaft. This is similar to how the old Losi JRX-Pro gearbox was. The main gear was fixed to the shaft with a cross pin and a couple e-rings...

Here's the Nimrod picutre again for everyone's reference:

DS_gear_ass_01.jpg

Yes, that's the one. I'd like to keep the standard teeth/serated join but it is just too expensive to make to be viable, hence the switch. If titanium was not being used and we stuck with the standard shaft then it's a straight forward machining of the existing shaft. But the std shaft is so big and heavy. When compared with a modern buggy it's a shock!

Hi Singapore,

Any updates on the Clutch and carbon body yet? ;) And you have received an email a few days ago :P

Hi Origineelreclamebord ;)

Nimrod are busy on a non r/c project which is crucial to their business, so the DS development is on hold for these current weeks. Clutch does need balancing, which is going to be done. The carbon body next version has been done. What is now needed is deposits on any to be made for sale.

So are people really interested in a having a REAL carbon body? It weighs about a QUARTER of a std lexan shell (I will weight and post up this week the exact numbers so people can see) and is exactly the same shape as the original. I cannot see a reason to paint it, but I suppose you could if you wanted to. It is however black :lol::lol: so that has to be to your taste. Interestingly the test full carbon shells have shown flexibility like lexan ones, so it is fine for racing. I was not expecting that at first.

I am not sure if the wheels have been sent out, I will check on that tomorrow evening when I visit the nimrod-Racing office.

Hi Origineelreclamebord ;)

Nimrod are busy on a non r/c project which is crucial to their business, so the DS development is on hold for these current weeks. Clutch does need balancing, which is going to be done. The carbon body next version has been done. What is now needed is deposits on any to be made for sale.

So are people really interested in a having a REAL carbon body? It weighs about a QUARTER of a std lexan shell (I will weight and post up this week the exact numbers so people can see) and is exactly the same shape as the original. I cannot see a reason to paint it, but I suppose you could if you wanted to. It is however black :lol::lol: so that has to be to your taste. Interestingly the test full carbon shells have shown flexibility like lexan ones, so it is fine for racing. I was not expecting that at first.

I am not sure if the wheels have been sent out, I will check on that tomorrow evening when I visit the nimrod-Racing office.

Ok, thanks for your reply :P I hope all goes well with the non-RC project then!

As for a carbon body, I am surprised to hear about it's flexibility... It must be very thin then I guess? And ehm... How can one not like black? ;) Depending on the price, I would be interested. It would look very good if it has the quality and finish that the front wheels do! Have you got an idea what the price will be for the carbon body? :P

The wheels arrived yesterday and... somehow Nimrod seemed to know it would be my birthday on the 15th of September? :D It came in fashionably late as they say, really perfect timing! In the package I also got the Version 2 D2 Rear suspension blocks, they really look like some very tough parts to me!

I was so happy with the wheels, I walked right outside with my camera to share some pictures with you:

_DSC0814.jpg

This is a picture with flash. Since it was a cloudy day, the carbon weave didn't show as much as it would have done in brighter light - I thought I'd use my own lightsource then to show how nice it looks!

_DSC0815.jpg

Same picture but without the flash - that's what you get with cloudy weather; a mysterious, slightly visible weave through the wheel.

_DSC0816.jpg

Picture at a different angle... "So it it just me, or do these rear wheels look slightly different than the ones from the Nimrod gallery?" :(

_DSC0817.jpg

My Dyna Storm fitted with the narrow fronts, rear wheels and the original Tamiya tires...

_DSC0819.jpg

"Eh... Original Tamiya tires you say? Those were not 40mm, right?" :D

_DSC0825.jpg

_DSC0826.jpg

_DSC0827.jpg

Indeed, the original Tamiya Spire Spike tires are not for 40mm wheels.

At first I ordered the rear wheels, overlooking in the description and this topic they were 40mm! :lol: (Pretty stupid action from me) - When they arrived, logicly, the Spire Spike tires didn't fit. I contacted Nimrod, and they agreed to have the wheels sent back and make a set of 35mm wheels especially for me!!! :o I have the ONLY set in the world right here fitted to MY car!!!

I really got the BEST service from any business I EVER experienced! They went through all the effort of making me a set of Blade Rear Wheels, with the same dimensions as the Tamiya wheels, the same edge on the rims, ribs in the middle - all like the Tamiya Star Dish Rear Wheels, except these have blades and they're made of carbon! :wub: They also sent me another front wheel to match the direction of the blades on the rears! And the only money it cost me was the postage, which I feel is the least I can pay for such support!

Thank you Nimrod! :D:D

It really is amazing when a company goes above and beyond like that!

That is an awesome looking DS too by the way, those carbon parts look hot! :(

I want a DS now :lol:

It really is amazing when a company goes above and beyond like that!

That is an awesome looking DS too by the way, those carbon parts look hot! :D

I want a DS now :D

Nimrod indeed really surprised me with this, I definetely will be back for more parts when I need them :lol: And ehm... If you want one, Get one!!! The last car you'd regret buying is a Dyna Storm I think (apart from the car that actually got you into the hobby maybe)... :wub:

@ Singapore: As for that Carbon Body, you can count me in 99% sure! :( As I said, depends on the price, but I think it will look just great with my car!

PS: About my DS:

It has only had three 20 minute runs yet :D:D I really have to get it going again! I have to put in my New Losi Xcelorin 10.5T system after replacing either the battery connector on the battery or on the ESC - and then try out if this brushless system will even work with the Futaba HRS (High Response) Function - If that all works I need some additional wheels and put tires on for hard off-road surfaces so I can run practically anywhere and hit the dirt again with this little beast!

And of course some misc stuff to the looks of this car such as painting the wing, apply stickers that cover the windows (and a hole in the front window) more neatly.

I contacted Nimrod, and they agreed to have the wheels sent back and make a set of 35mm wheels especially for me!!! :o I have the ONLY set in the world right here fitted to MY car!!!

I really got the BEST service from any business I EVER experienced! They went through all the effort of making me a set of Blade Rear Wheels, with the same dimensions as the Tamiya wheels, the same edge on the rims, ribs in the middle - all like the Tamiya Star Dish Rear Wheels, except these have blades and they're made of carbon! ;) They also sent me another front wheel to match the direction of the blades on the rears! And the only money it cost me was the postage, which I feel is the least I can pay for such support!

Thank you Nimrod! :D:D

Happy Birthday, Origineelreclamebord :angry:

Very happy that you are so happy and thanks for posting up and the photos. ;)

You're DS is certainly looking good. I do like the look of your brushless install. 3 cables are growing on me!

The team at nimrod and myself are really pleased with the outcome and last night we were discussing the next item(s) to be released next week. :)

I will ofcourse post up which items and details of on here. Pricing on the carbon shell will take a while. The shell process is VERY labour intensive - much like the standard size wheels the were made up for Origineelreclamebord. For confirmation nimrod-Racing made up a one off set of standard rear size wheels, just for Origineelreclamebord as he misread the details on the site and was disappointed that the box stock DS tires are narrower. As he wanted identical wheels a mould was made copying EXACTLY the originals including the internal bracing (which is not needed on the carbon wheels, indeed nor on other Tamiya original race wheels). Making this in carbon was a nightmare and resulted in many quality fail wheels. Eventually a perfect pair was made and sent. Because of the extreme difficulty these wheels will never be made again, so this set is indeed unique. :o

I am pleased to say that one of my favourite and own idea parts is going to be one of the items next for sale, so I'm excited about that and the thought of some VERY lightened DS's hitting the tracks around the world soon!!! B):)

_DSC0819.jpg

I thought the fan-blades of the wheel were supposed to blow air in towards the motor?!?! These are angled the wrong way. Perhaps you have the wheels on the wrong side of the car...

BTW: You do know that when the wheels have to move air like that, it requires power right?

I thought the fan-blades of the wheel were supposed to blow air in towards the motor?!?! These are angled the wrong way. Perhaps you have the wheels on the wrong side of the car...

Nope, they can be mounted which way you like. I posted up about this earlier in the thread:

They are an option idea, the concept is the pull/blow fresh air onto the motor to cool it. Depending on which side you mount they can suck or blow.

Excited?

;):angry:

Personally, I like a blow rather than suck on the motor side, but it's up to you.

Worth noting on a brushless there is no vent on the endbell, so blowing would be less effective than with a normal brushed endbell.

Also worth noting, having opposed sides on the front can cause turbulance over the the body which reduces the effectiveness of the air vent if you install it. ;):o I LOVE that part!!

Happy Birthday, Origineelreclamebord :o

Very happy that you are so happy and thanks for posting up and the photos. B)

You're DS is certainly looking good. I do like the look of your brushless install. 3 cables are growing on me!

The team at nimrod and myself are really pleased with the outcome and last night we were discussing the next item(s) to be released next week. :D

I will ofcourse post up which items and details of on here. Pricing on the carbon shell will take a while. The shell process is VERY labour intensive - much like the standard size wheels the were made up for Origineelreclamebord. For confirmation nimrod-Racing made up a one off set of standard rear size wheels, just for Origineelreclamebord as he misread the details on the site and was disappointed that the box stock DS tires are narrower. As he wanted identical wheels a mould was made copying EXACTLY the originals including the internal bracing (which is not needed on the carbon wheels, indeed nor on other Tamiya original race wheels). Making this in carbon was a nightmare and resulted in many quality fail wheels. Eventually a perfect pair was made and sent. Because of the extreme difficulty these wheels will never be made again, so this set is indeed unique. :)

I am pleased to say that one of my favourite and own idea parts is going to be one of the items next for sale, so I'm excited about that and the thought of some VERY lightened DS's hitting the tracks around the world soon!!! :):D

Thanks ;) I also like the brushless setup, it runs great! I liked it so much that for the Dyna I have, as I mentioned earlier, bigger plans in mind on the Motor and ESC. A Losi Xcelorin 10.5 sensored brushless combo turned up in the sales section here on the forum a few weeks ago. I took a look on Losi's website and I liked what I found:

- Sensored

- 10.5T

- ESC had 3.5T limit or better (they sell a combo with that motor)

- Built-in LVC with adjustable voltage setting for cut off.

- Adjustability on pretty much everything (at least, what I can think of or would ever need) ;)

I bought it and when it arrived it turned out to have a Losi EC3 connector (I might switch to it on all my cars, or take another system and replace it on this ESC) and no connectors in the wires that go to the motor (I guess that's done for lower resistance?) - I have to get a right connector on battery and ESC and try it out!

_DSC0819.jpg

BTW: You do know that when the wheels have to move air like that, it requires power right?

I hadn't thought about that so much yet... :o My mind was occupied with getting those wheels on and taking some nice pictures! :angry: Ny the way, if they blow towards the car... Wouldn't it make an extremely dusty mess at the gearbox?

My motor ram-air tunnel/vent idea is what got the owner of nimrod thinking of cooling, and he subsequently came up with the blade wheels as another option.

Testing has shown both to be effective, as Joe999 has also found with the results he posted up.

Heat is primarily an issue on longer runs/races. The cooling does help even in five min races, but longer runs are where heat reduction becomes an area where significant gains can made. If it is a dusty track then a brushed motor is always going to have a hard time, and I have lost a couple of brushed motors on dusty tracks during the last year - running even without vents and blades. I had success with taping up the motor holes and using the air ram tunnel but eventually dirt via the endbell is unavoidable. Blowing air on with blades theoretically may speed up the process but it is hard to tell how much the difference is/would be without windtunnel testing. Regardless of how you mount the wheels on a dusty track the the gearbox is always going to get dusty! Even with the flat dish Tamiya wheels my car is always filthy all over after an off road race :) That's part of off road! :D:) On dusty tracks mounting the wheels to suck hot air out would seem like a better idea in the case of brushed motors.

With a brushless the motor does not have these issues of open holes in the motor can.

Running totally indoors is the only solution if you want to keep the car and motor dirt free :P:D

Now wheres the powersliding FUN in that!! :lol:

I just had a flash back to when the owner of nimrod and I were talking about this long ago - he said since 1:1 cars use wheel design to better ventilate brakes, why not do this on r/c race wheels for motor cooling. Ah, I remember the afternoon well now, we picked up the Lambo Muira model in the office and remembered the design principals considered in it's wheels - big cooling via angled ducts and how that has evolved into modern wheels and car bumper and sill design.

So there you have it - from Lamborghini Muira to Dyna Storm! :D:lol:

So there you have it - from Lamborghini Muira to Dyna Storm! :D:)

I'd take the Dyna Storm, 1:1 or 1:10, both would beat it hands down to me :lol: It's very nice to read about the origins of the blade wheels' ideas because I really consider them among the best (if not the best) looking buggy wheels on the market today and of all RC buggy wheels ever made!

Regardless of how you mount the wheels on a dusty track the the gearbox is always going to get dusty! Even with the flat dish Tamiya wheels my car is always filthy all over after an off road race :P That's part of off road! :):D

Running totally indoors is the only solution if you want to keep the car and motor dirt free :P:D

Now wheres the powersliding FUN in that!! :D

You're very right about that! It looks so nice when still shiny... But that dust and dirt on the car proves it doesn't only look good, which makes the car even nicer! :P And runnings indoors doesn't seem like a lot of fun to me - Unless it's a sand/dirt track, that is.

I have been lurking these pages by accident (by way of Dyna's car @oople.com).

I am wondering if Nimrod ever decide with all those custom parts to make a kit with their own body on it.

I mean aside from a few parts, screws and bearings, you have a whole car, am I right?

Have you and the engineers @ Nimrod (plus the owner, of course) ever consider that?

A futuristic shell that matches the chassis would have been out of this worldly experience (for future owners)

I have been lurking these pages by accident (by way of Dyna's car @oople.com).

I am wondering if Nimrod ever decide with all those custom parts to make a kit with their own body on it.

I mean aside from a few parts, screws and bearings, you have a whole car, am I right?

Have you and the engineers @ Nimrod (plus the owner, of course) ever consider that?

A futuristic shell that matches the chassis would have been out of this worldly experience (for future owners)

Hi fabolousRC,

nifty name. Thanks for your input. Yes, this has been discussed many times. nimrod are currently reverse building a car to ensure we have all the parts to sell a couple of one-time-only complete DL or DS Evo cars.

As for shell, the pure REAL carbon shell is absolutely MIND BLOWING in weight and feel, so I think that is futuristic enough B):)

And as you may recall from the start of this thread & project my main aim is to improve the car but keep it in the same feel as Tamiya made it. A Dyna, but jsut improved in every way possible to give it to modern cars on track and to really come up with innovations that have not been seen before but now do and on/for a TAMIYA model!!! :) :) :) Toys they're not! B):D:)

I will ask nimrod for some latest photos to put up of the shell and the DL. Pleased to say that the metal shop is back up from the summer break, and the titanium clutch balancing is back underway.

Thank you for posting up and for advising of the comments in Oople. It's great to know the word is spreading that Dyna's are now supported for anyone wanting to race them today! Get your Dyna's out there and have a blast!! B)

Eh... Woops! I bought a second Dyna Storm tonight B) The one I have now is still unscratched (despite it's two or three light runs) and will be kept that way. I find the thought unbearable that it will be all scuffed, it would be heartbreaking for me to damage it because it's still in such a pristine condition - I actually hate it that I can't get myself to run those new cars I have properly, so the one I've bought tonight has been slightly run car. In that way I can't complain that it still looks perfect! (Oh boy, am I pathetic not daring to drive a new built car) ;) I'll check the gearbox and slipper, get some sealed ABEC5 bearings for it and run that one instead.

Oh, and when my finances allow it I will hop it up to Nimrod Racing Spec :o I already have the rear suspension blocks, now for all the other parts! I wish there was a 1/10th scale buggy track near my home, in that case I'd request to become a Nimrod test driver :o

Well i have just ordered a new front mount and wing from these nimrod guys for My dyna runner which matt will be getting me the parts to sort out as soon as he is ready so i'll let you know what there like doing a real race.

I know that's scary to most of you who run them on a field and call them runners

But i do REAL racing and so can test it properly.

Hi Guys,

I got my Dyna in and it needs some parts replaced. One of these parts are the universal shafts. I was wondering if the original universal shafts are the only option, or if there are other universal shafts (possibly rebuildable ones?) that are still in production and fit the Dyna Storm?

Edit:

After some searching I found this modification by Evoman. If TRF501 rear uprights can be fitted, maybe TRF501 universals can be fitted to the car inside the Dyna Storm or TRF501 uprights?

Well i have just ordered a new front mount and wing from these nimrod guys for My dyna runner which matt will be getting me the parts to sort out as soon as he is ready so i'll let you know what there like doing a real race.

I know that's scary to most of you who run them on a field and call them runners

But i do REAL racing and so can test it properly.

Maybe I am having a bad day, but I am saddened to see implied here and in the oople thread posts implying that the Nimrod testing is not real race testing.

That is an insult. And is totally undeserved.

ALL the nimrod parts have been used in national level races in Hungary and some parts for more than 2 years (chassis, D parts). One of the most frequently used tracks is a very fast indoor carpet track with 1/8 scale ramps and h a r d concrete/wood lined walls. Competition is fierce and crashes have been big, small and everything in between. The nimrod parts have lightened the std car by more than 300g in some configurations and the parts have been designed with one goal only - to make the car better in racing against modern cars. Faster, more responsive, & stronger. They have not been designed to look stunning. They've been designed only to work to the goal mentioned.

I am very glad to have been involved and am pleased to see others bringing more options and ideas for all dyna fans to enjoy and get excited about. There is no need to belittle the fantastic efforts of nimrod to date.

Enough said.

Evoman, your parts and ideas look super partic in the photos shown in the oople thread and I am sure transform the car. Good luck and enjoy. :-)

Maybe I am having a bad day, but I am saddened to see implied here and in the oople thread posts implying that the Nimrod testing is not real race testing.

That is an insult. And is totally undeserved.

ALL the nimrod parts have been used in national level races in Hungary and some parts for more than 2 years (chassis, D parts). One of the most frequently used tracks is a very fast indoor carpet track with 1/8 scale ramps and h a r d concrete/wood lined walls. Competition is fierce and crashes have been big, small and everything in between. The nimrod parts have lightened the std car by more than 300g in some configurations and the parts have been designed with one goal only - to make the car better in racing against modern cars. Faster, more responsive, & stronger. They have not been designed to look stunning. They've been designed only to work to the goal mentioned.

I am very glad to have been involved and am pleased to see others bringing more options and ideas for all dyna fans to enjoy and get excited about. There is no need to belittle the fantastic efforts of nimrod to date.

Enough said.

Evoman, your parts and ideas look super partic in the photos shown in the oople thread and I am sure transform the car. Good luck and enjoy. :-)

I haven't tested any of the parts yet, but I think it indeed wouldn't be fair to say the parts weren't put through proper race testing and several protoype versions and experiments. I know many people may be a bit sceptic about aftermarket hopup parts, because often they don't have quite the quality of the genuine brand's hopups. However, the rear blocks and wheels I got and all pictures from the gallery of Nimrod and on the forum just show the development that has gone into the parts and they seem of a high quality. The parts also have a much more clever structure! :blink: For example the copper threads in the plastic parts. This is such an improvement on the originals. I currently have my runner Dyna disassembled, but can't get the rear blocks off because those nuts that grip by pressure just don't grip because the plastic is mangled! Never again will you have such issues with the new parts, plus it makes the car lighter and has less parts to think about during dis- and re-assembly!

Anyway, I emailed Nimrod recently about purchasing some Nimrod parts (a part of which is in the webshop, another few parts which I have seen here on the forum but which I haven't seen in the gallery yet). They didn't respond - was there a change in email adress maybe? :rolleyes: I'd really like to order some of the parts to get my Dyna restored and running :lol:

Edit:

I ordered some parts (or already own them) for the rebuild of my Dyna the last few days. For financial and performance considerations, I got the following parts:

Spare:

- Tamiya High Torque Servo Saver.

- Gear Bag.

- Gearbox Parts Bag.

- Screw Bag A.

- Screw Bag B.

- Screw Bag C.

Modification/Hopup Parts:

- TR-15T Knuckles (to fit wider front wheels).

- TRF501X Rear Setting Spring Set.

- DB01/TRF501X WO (Wide Operating Angle) Rear Universal Shafts (rebuildable and cheaper than originals for Dyna Storm).

- Keen Hawk Rear Wheels.

- High Density Spike Rear Tires (K Compound).

- Sealed ball bearings at the wheels and the gearbox parts where the bearings are exposed.

- Nimrod Rear suspension blocks.

- Nimrod Rear Wing.

Electronics:

- Losi Xcelorin 10.5 Sensored Brushless Combo (will have the Losi EC3 battery connector replaced for a Traxxas TRX connector).

- Futaba S3050 Digital Servo.

- Futaba R603FS 2.4Ghz Receiver (with Futaba 3PM 2.4Ghz Transmitter).

As soon the car is finished and the chance occurs, I will try out the Dyna on an astroturf 1/5th scale buggy track 20 kilometres from here. Not the ideal place for such a car, but probably still the best place to try it out properly :lol: