Singapore_959

New Dyna Storm Parts

Yeah mine are the original tamiya ones with the posi-drive heads. I've had a few randoms creep in there now though..

I'm pretty sure the alloy blocks will solve my problem, both times i've broken the rear d's they were low force rolling impacts.. I'll get the pics of my broken nimrod parts up asap so you can see where they break.

Anyone got a front bumper? Mine cracked on reassembly around a screw hole. Also a d something on the back that attaches to the rear shock tower, on the rear side, it cracked where the press nuts go in...

Sad to hear they broke, the Nimrod parts are indeed surprisingly brittle at times. I've experienced it with a front suspension block - it wasn't the suspension mount that broke, but the mount for the shock tower just snapped clean off on one side. Thanks in advance for the pictures, I'll put them to good use in the design and keep searching for a place to produce them.

As for the front bumper and the D4 reinforcement block, I think I have both of them in my spares box for you. I will have a look at that later today if you're interested :)

• Like 1

Yes definitely interested! I think you should make the rear d's solid, ie without the recesses underneath...

Yes definitely interested! I think you should make the rear d's solid, ie without the recesses underneath...

I think the main possible improvements in the design (compared to Tamiya's original part) are to use inserts (which is similar to the press nut but moulded in), a hex nut instead of the press nuts, more thickness around the nut and/or more thickness below the nut, a tight fit around the screw (so the surface area on which the stresses occur are bigger, the original puts all the stresses on the part through the press nuts and the friction between the press nut and the chassis plate as the hole for the screw doesn't touch the screw) and finally also a rear brace. However, the recesses could play a big role in the breaking as well, especially with plastic parts: Small fillets easily create stresses in the material because it shrinks a little after moulding. I will definetely have a look at that as well! :lol:

Two of the solutions I mentioned however are not realistic. The thickness around the nut can't be made greater everywhere due to the front brace and the suspension arm being in the way, and making a rear brace could prove difficult in regard to the space at the back. I have looked at things like it in the past, but I can't recall what the result was :lol:

Anyway, back to the parts, you have a PM about them.

I was asked to write something about the history of the Nimrod Racing parts, but I would like to know in advance, whether those who have experienced the development intensively still deal with the Dyna Lightning. That's why I'm digging out this old topic. In addition, I have lost all photos of the parts, except those of my topic in this German forum:

http://www.offroad-cult.org/Board/tamiya-dyna-storm-tuning-ersatzteile-t11771.html

Is anyone able and interested in contributing pictures and sharing his experience with Nimrod Racing parts?

Regards, Jochen

I am afraid you wouldnt fint too much help here. Most members are building latest reres and those guys who made things rolling arent active anymore, just reading from time to time. Viel Glück trotzdem!

Man, grrrrrr. I had a DS with the Nimrod Arms and Suspension blocks but I sold it off years ago!!! Id love to see these parts come back!.

@Collin: I already feared that, finally I am also now mainly dealing with model flying. Then I´ll try to support as best I can.

Thank you very much for your help!

On your mentioned Website I spy interesting Parts :-) Does this mean,  if I decide to drive my Dyna Storm again, you can supply

with spare Parts?

@GTodd: all in your Opinion, my Dyna Lightning is no longer driven until exact those parts are available, it´s the Queen of the Shelf!

Have a good time, Jochen

Sold all my Nimrod parts to a nice fellow who wished to build a full replica of the Nimrod car.

Cannot say I'm a fan performance wise, very stiff, brittle, and fragile, but wow it all looked great.

I had the complete front end, motor guard and arms, very well made, but more an aesthetic coolness  IMO.

Lee

8 minutes ago, ralphee said:

Sold all my Nimrod parts to a nice fellow who wished to build a full replica of the Nimrod car.

Cannot say I'm a fan performance wise, very stiff, brittle, and fragile, but wow it all looked great.

I had the complete front end, motor guard and arms, very well made, but more an aesthetic coolness  IMO.

Lee

Do you think it´s a beautiful car for the shelf, or can you use it for bashing also?

Regards, Jochen

7 minutes ago, joe999 said:

Do you think it´s a beautiful car for the shelf, or can you use it for bashing also?

Regards, Jochen

Shelf or VERY light running, the parts, more so the arms are like glass.

No bashing at all, and I'd not be confident in racing with the parts, too much room for a failure.

So very lovely to look at though.

Lee

17 minutes ago, ralphee said:

Shelf or VERY light running, the parts, more so the arms are like glass.

No bashing at all, and I'd not be confident in racing with the parts, too much room for a failure.

So very lovely to look at though.

Lee

Sounds sexy nevertheless- it´s such a nice car imho.

Regards, Jochen

To be honest I NEVER experienced that. That being said I only had the front bulk head and the rear suspension blocks to mount the rear arms. They made the car bullet proof as I broke the stock ones multiple times racing at my local track.  Not sure why they made new suspension arms, there was no need.  The most valuable parts were the ones i had, the chassis, and the undertray, in my opinion for whatever thats worth.

On 10/9/2019 at 8:51 PM, joe999 said:

@Collin: I already feared that, finally I am also now mainly dealing with model flying. Then I´ll try to support as best I can.

Thank you very much for your help!

On your mentioned Website I spy interesting Parts :-) Does this mean,  if I decide to drive my Dyna Storm again, you can supply

with spare Parts?

Hmmmmmm :ph34r:  Yep! I have a really nice Dyna Storm runner bought from ebay germany last summer. Have a look:

I want do modify it in the winter time. That means slim carbonfiber lower and upper deck, modified damper stays for shorter dampers and 3D modelling of the original suspension arms (maybe some longer ones for the rear). 3D printing is the hot stuff nowadays more or less "cheap" for reproduction and really reliable. Nimrod parts are really nice to look at (clear epoxy with carbon fiber inside) but as @ralphee mentioned, like glass. But you know what, the nimrod rims are the hottest! :wub:

On 10/11/2019 at 2:00 AM, Collin said:

... Nimrod parts are really nice to look at (clear epoxy with carbon fiber inside) but as @ralphee mentioned, like glass. But you know what, the nimrod rims are the hottest! :wub:

that is surprising for me, I have never received transparent parts from Nimrod. 
All but the air intake were black and extremely stable. Maybe I missed an evolutionary stage?

nono,... semitransparent. blackened epoxy but you still can see the fiber fabric.

Wow, are 3d printed parts meanwhile really stable enough? I´m not familiar with that.

Congrats to your nice Dyna Storm! If the alloy parts come from Germany, there is a legitimate

hope for me to find someone who has an NC program to make some. I'll try that.

DS_frontSUS_02.jpg

3D print is pretty good in compare to 20 year old plastic parts : )

Soon done with front suspension arm.

@joe999 DS parts are in progress. And now 2D drawings for cutting carbon fiber plates. How seriosly do you want a set then? PM me is you are interested.

Oh man!!! Here I am again! DS parts being made and I have no DS!

On 10/20/2019 at 2:41 AM, GTodd said:

Oh man!!! Here I am again! DS parts being made and I have no DS!

Thats so sad! You just need to get a wreck, I´ll provide the rest ;)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Collin said:

Thats so sad! You just need to get a wreck, I´ll provide the rest ;)

I'd LOVE to get a wreck, I don't even need the Uber rare shocks, I'll use some Rere Hicaps.

fiddle-diddle-doo...

I think I will go on with the brilliand DS design to continue this waveform with the chassis. Hope it will fit...

• Like 1

Question to the community.

This are two designs for the base chassis plate. Both are in the shape of the shell, but slightly diffent. Which one you like best and why?

V1:

V2: