Singapore_959

New Dyna Storm Parts

I have used the 4wd front tires on DT02 front wheels. These are the tamiya mini pin type tyres. (Dark impact etc).

Schumacher mini pins front wide also, they are the same width, but more grippy. The pins are sharper and thinner.

That's a good idea. Are there any tires that will fit the kits narrow front wheels? I've been searching for pin-spike tires like the ones on the Super Hornet with no luck. This tires are becoming hard to find.

:angry: some new parts photos

http://www.nimrod-racing.net/gallery.php

Descriptions and prices will come up shortly I believe.

I am coming to the UK shortly so I will bring a Dyna Lightning with me, I hope to meet up with some of us TC'ers at a track? B)B):)

That's a good idea. Are there any tires that will fit the kits narrow front wheels? I've been searching for pin-spike tires like the ones on the Super Hornet with no luck. This tires are becoming hard to find.

hmm, not sure, as I used the std tires when I used the narrow on carpet (quickly ditched for the wide) and the std tires I found OK off road. But perhaps schumacher or proline have something suitble. I will have a search.

awesome, really need those front uprights and a bodyshell too.

hey seeing as how nimrod do unusual bodyshells (and very scale in appearance too), do you think they would be interested in producing a 1989 "widebody" Mitsubishi Starion shell? had a guy on here interested in doing it but that seems to have fallen through. there are about 100 shells sold straight away going by the thread i posted on starquestclub.com.. who is best to talk to at nimrod about this? i can get access to 3D modelling scans..

:angry: some new parts photos

http://www.nimrod-racing.net/gallery.php

Descriptions and prices will come up shortly I believe.

I am coming to the UK shortly so I will bring a Dyna Lightning with me, I hope to meet up with some of us TC'ers at a track? B)B):)

hmm, not sure, as I used the std tires when I used the narrow on carpet (quickly ditched for the wide) and the std tires I found OK off road. But perhaps schumacher or proline have something suitble. I will have a search.

I wish I lived in the UK - I hope there's someone who makes some vids and pics of your Dyna Lightning? The pictures of the parts look absolutely great and it would be really cool to see them on the car and in use. Oh, and I have a few questions on some parts.

Do the new rear D Parts prevent the holes in the carbon chassis from becoming oval-shaped? And if not, is there a solution for this yet? Also, how is the undertray fitted to the car? Are there also other things that could over a longer period of time damage or wear parts in such a way that replacement will become expensive (as for example with the chassis plates)?

PS: Duratrax has 0.75inch/1.9cm ribbed tires with a 2.2 diameter and Tamiya's DT01, Wild One and Super Hornet tires should fit as well.

Wow, what a project!!

Well done Singapore 959, how much do you sell the aerodeck 'spaceship' chassis for??

Thats absolutely the best thing I have seen in ages. Top banana :P

out of interst which company did you use for the prototyping and the CAD CAM stuff?

Guys,

I have very sad news... :( This is what happens when you read this topic too much:

PICT0189.jpg

PICT0190.jpg

PICT0193.jpg

I am really so pleased I finally finished the build of this :D :D I got this Dyna Storm Re-Release recently from TC member Muratti - I couldn't wait to built it but I had to resist that because I didn't have enough space for it at that moment. Two weeks ago I snapped and I was commanded by the box to build a Dyna Storm of it's contents... The build had been on hold for those two weeks until the sealed ball bearings from Abec35.com (WalaWalaStore) arrived today, and now it's (apart from work on the shell and putting electrics in) finished!

So what Nimrod parts will this car get? At least a repro wing for running, an underguard to protect the nice floor of the car, and the blade wheels probably will follow later, too. Anyone got ideas for the shell? Box art or custom (and if custom, what paint scheme)? :P

Thanks Singapore for making me buy this, it has to be my most advanced car yet (and my first 2WD buggy :D Apart from my DF03 2WD project, that is - but that's going to be a custom car).

Origineelreclamebord, that is Niiiiiiiiice! :( Well done!!!

NICE photos.

I hope you enjoyed the build. It looks good doesn't it! :) :) I like how the rear std tires look new, lovely :D

But, gosh how can you resist not to drive it?! I failed totally at that, I had to drive mine two hours after I finished building it!! :D

(That's why I miss seeing the nice pointy rear tires!)

Painting - now you have to spend many hours trawling TC for ideas!! :D

The underguard and D parts are so far the most popular item from Nimrod. But you don't need the d parts! :D

Wooohoooo!!!!! 1 more DS is going hit tracks soon!!! :D:P

MY PARTS ARRIVED! :P

only thing is, i need the rear wing mount, and the screws/nuts etc to fit it on, for some reason on mine the original stuff has been replaced with thin flexy wire :/

i have found the parts on ebay but i dont want to buy all these extra parts that come with them, i dont want to spend $60 just to get the wing parts.. any suggestions? is the wing stay common with any other model? and the nuts etc?

MY PARTS ARRIVED! :P

only thing is, i need the rear wing mount, and the screws/nuts etc to fit it on, for some reason on mine the original stuff has been replaced with thin flexy wire :/

i have found the parts on ebay but i dont want to buy all these extra parts that come with them, i dont want to spend $60 just to get the wing parts.. any suggestions? is the wing stay common with any other model? and the nuts etc?

I think the wing mounting design was modeled after an old Losi or Associated car. Especially the parts that connect the wing to the wire. Have a look at some of their parts and you may find something similar if not the same. The mounting wire you can make yourself. The part that connects the wire to the shock tower can be found in the Egress and Top-Force as well...

Origineelreclamebord, that is Niiiiiiiiice! :D Well done!!!

NICE photos.

I hope you enjoyed the build. It looks good doesn't it! :P:) I like how the rear std tires look new, lovely :D

But, gosh how can you resist not to drive it?! I failed totally at that, I had to drive mine two hours after I finished building it!! :D

(That's why I miss seeing the nice pointy rear tires!)

Painting - now you have to spend many hours trawling TC for ideas!! :D

The underguard and D parts are so far the most popular item from Nimrod. But you don't need the d parts! :D

Wooohoooo!!!!! 1 more DS is going hit tracks soon!!!

Thanks :D The main reason I didn't test it immediately is that I've got no electrics to put in it yet :P For that, I will wait another couple of weeks to raise funds for that - It will get a better servo, a decent radio, a decent ESC, a motor that has bearings and is somewhat slower than a 14T and a steel pinion :P

Just got my parts from Nimrod racing and they are awesome, my DS had a complete track day without any issue or broken parts!

Thanks Singapore and Nimrod Team for a superb job, and hope to see soon new parts!

Bye

WWD

Just got my parts from Nimrod racing and they are awesome, my DS had a complete track day without any issue or broken parts!

Thanks Singapore and Nimrod Team for a superb job, and hope to see soon new parts!

Bye

WWD

Thanks all for your great feedback and contacting Nimrod. I and the guys at Nimrod are very happy you are enjoying your Dynas again and even more :D

A couple of people have PM'd asking if I work at Nimrod. No I don't, I just went to them with my original ideas and development enquires. Over the duration of the project I have become very good friends with the guys and owners of R-design / Nimrod Racing. I spend alot of days every week at their offices and workshop giving my ideas and input, and I am responsible for testing every part developed. Nothing is sold without my testing of it - this is Nimrods policy and I am of course very happy to oblige :D I volunteer my time and thoughts and in return the dream gets developed and they get excellent quality parts made and sale'able. Win win :)

The flowing video clip sums up nicely the same thing that we feel we are doing with the Dyna B)B)

click for video-vintage improvement-love

More parts will be released this week!

Meantime some random picts:

IMG_9388.jpg

IMG_9381.jpg

IMG_9366.jpg

IMG_9367.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

IMG_9041.jpg

IMG_9042.jpg

IMG_9043.jpg

IMG_9044.jpg

IMG_9045.jpg

IMG_9046.jpg

IMG_9047.jpg

yes, its real carbon.... :) and it makes the lexan shell feel like lead!

IMG_8894.jpg

IMG_8553.jpg

IMG_8805.jpg

I've been trying out some of these new parts whilst racing my Dynastorm.

The first thing I want to say is that they are really good quality. The New front DL D parts are good. They help stiffen the front of the car more, one of the big issues with teh dynastorm is that it isnt stiff enough to tune accurately. This part really helps sort this issue out. The rear D parts are a godsend, as you dont have to re-tighten the screws after every race. The Bumper is also good as it just gives you a bit more access to front of the car.

Still one of the big areas that the car needs to improve is the front bite. If you run proper tyres on the car the car is an oversteering monster. I've started to fit a front roll bar, which should hopefully address this issue (this car needs roll bars).

I should be racing it again this weekend, and mid week so far so good.

Sounds like the parts are excellent.

I don't like the sound of that oversteer though. Do you mean it oversteers badly when using Schumacher Yellow compound Mini Spikes or Mini Pins ? As they are very popular tyres that I would be using. If so, something really needs to be done to address this. I once owned a Cougar 2 which was a huge dissappointment because of the huge understeer, not oversteer, but I was racing on Tarmac and back then I didn't know you needed foams! Admittedly the quality of the car was excellent, but it was no use to me unless it handled competetively. Pity I didn't know any better back then when I was 15!

My Top Force was quite prone to oversteer on the Southport track with the stock kit setup, I noticed.

Would like to hear how your car handles with that front roll bar and if it cures the oversteer.

I need excellent handling on a typical European Off Road track (Astroturf / mixed surface).

Cheers,

Alistair G.

And finally, TODAY! - the prototype clutch piece is in the nimrod Racing office!!!!!! :)B):)

No secret spy shot for you yet, but to help contain my excitement, I had to post up something!!! ;)

DS_gear_ass_01.jpg

IMG_9230.jpg

IMG_9233.jpg

IMG_9234.jpg

:(

And finally, TODAY! - the prototype clutch piece is in the nimrod Racing office!!!!!! :)B):)

No secret spy shot for you yet, but to help contain my excitement, I had to post up something!!! :D

DS_gear_ass_01.jpg

IMG_9230.jpg

IMG_9233.jpg

IMG_9234.jpg

:(

That's really, really nice! Although I love the looks of the original Dyna Storm Clutch, this piece looks like it would make both the whole car and rotating parts a lot lighter! ;)

Does the new clutch use associated pressure plates, friction pads and spurs?

That's pretty nice looking!

Sounds like the parts are excellent.

I don't like the sound of that oversteer though. Do you mean it oversteers badly when using Schumacher Yellow compound Mini Spikes or Mini Pins ? As they are very popular tyres that I would be using. If so, something really needs to be done to address this. I once owned a Cougar 2 which was a huge dissappointment because of the huge understeer, not oversteer, but I was racing on Tarmac and back then I didn't know you needed foams! Admittedly the quality of the car was excellent, but it was no use to me unless it handled competetively. Pity I didn't know any better back then when I was 15!

My Top Force was quite prone to oversteer on the Southport track with the stock kit setup, I noticed.

Would like to hear how your car handles with that front roll bar and if it cures the oversteer.

I need excellent handling on a typical European Off Road track (Astroturf / mixed surface).

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Alistair,

Oversteer and understeer can be dialed into any car depending on how you set it up. The stock DS set up is prone to oversteer due to the tires and ride height mostly. I use schumacher yellows on carpet sometimes and it improves grip massively. Some people have found a front roll bar usefull, others not (myself included). 'Excellent handling' can be set up within the limits of the basic design - the DS is too heavy and the front tires are poor as stock. Wider fronts and the parts in this thread are both improvements on the basic DS design. The rest of your own cars under/oversteer characteristics are up to your shocks & ride height set up, and your fingers B)

I enjoy oversteer in my car, for example, and it is usually set up so. That can make it tremendous fun on tarmac and mixed surfaces, but on a dirt track for example that set up makes it terrible. So I change it accordlingly. Still looser at the rear tho! ;-P

HTH :)

Alistair,

Oversteer and understeer can be dialed into any car depending on how you set it up. The stock DS set up is prone to oversteer due to the tires and ride height mostly. I use schumacher yellows on carpet sometimes and it improves grip massively. Some people have found a front roll bar usefull, others not (myself included). 'Excellent handling' can be set up within the limits of the basic design - the DS is too heavy and the front tires are poor as stock. Wider fronts and the parts in this thread are both improvements on the basic DS design. The rest of your own cars under/oversteer characteristics are up to your shocks & ride height set up, and your fingers B)

I enjoy oversteer in my car, for example, and it is usually set up so. That can make it tremendous fun on tarmac and mixed surfaces, but on a dirt track for example that set up makes it terrible. So I change it accordlingly. Still looser at the rear tho! ;-P

HTH :)

So how about the suspension setup? It seems to me that not only the tires and ight height would make it prone to oversteer. Ok, I haven't driven it yet so I don't know how big the problem is, but those front shocks are massively soft in suspension setup. I know, most of the weight is on the rear, but really it should help if you make it stiffer on the front? (the shocks themselves and maybe even in combination with a front stabilizer).

either i have the chance to buy this chassis and the upper deck asap or i have to locate an addiction service instead :)

Can you tell me please when the parts will be available?

Hi joe999!

:) this chassis is currently undergoing testing. Once testing is completed and any required changes have been made it will be announced here first! and I know that you will receive an email from nirmod-Racing about it too ;) I'll do my best to make sure the testing is done as fast as possible :D (more driving!)

The guys at nimrod send their regards!

either i have the chance to buy this chassis and the upper deck asap or i have to locate an addiction service instead :(

Can you tell me please when the parts will be available?

Origineelreclamebord, set up depends entirely on you. Yes stiffer up front can help, I prefer to adjust using different holes in the dampers than springs. A roll bar on the front may be something that suits you, but as mentioned I did not find it worth having. Joe999 has had one on his car as I recall tho, perhaps he can give you some comments.

Some photos from a test car in very mixed set up!. You can see the race wing, wide rear, lexan gbox cover and a few other things. 501x shocks, DF02 and 501x springs.

IMG_9401.jpg

IMG_9402.jpg

IMG_9408.jpg

Update on my Dyna Storm B) It's now almost ready to be run! I have a 2.4Ghz radio system now (and wow, that standard receiver is small!), a Tamiya 12T Brushless system (23T brushed equivelant according to Tamiya), an ex-racing body from Singapore_959 for running, and not on the pictures but will be fitted soon, the racing wing and undercowl from Nimrod. Thanks Singapore for the trade, and Nimrod for the nice parts :o The lexan is thicker than Tamiya's, so the wing should be able to withstand more hits, and the undercowl nicely scratch resistant.

DSC00312.jpg

I see 3 wires coming out of the rear to the motor... :) (Yep, it's my first Brushless system).

DSC00320.jpg

...And in the right colours too, fits the bodyshell, shocks and 'Dyna Storm' decals well! :P

DSC00324.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

On paper, the limits of this ESC are very impressing (it can probably take way more than the 12T it's sold with), and is very small - it fits right under the Dyna Storm bodyshell! Oh, and note the Dyna Storm poster lying next to the car :D

The only things left to do before running are fitting the Nimrod wing and undercowl, and disassembling the car to glue the sides of the FRP parts (why did I not do that during the build? ;) )

PS: It may be considered a little off-topic, but I had the feeling I needed to share this ;)

WAAAAAAAYHEYYY! :PB)

Another Dyna being enjoyed! :)

Congratulations and looks very nice! Yes, the colour coding is neat. But now you need to get the colour of some street or offroad dust on it! :D

I will be interested how your brushless goes. You may want to open the tiny vent in the bodyshell infront of the esc to let some air in - or maybe not, let us know how it goes. That is a good fit - Tamiya usually pick the right items ;) Go out an enjoy it!!

I am not sure why you want to glue the frp parts sides. I have only ever glued carbon part sides as they can splinter and cut. I've never had Tamiya frp parts delam on me and the frp has never cut or split on me either; and I have driven my cars in pouring rain, mud and scorching sun. So I wouldn't worry about disassembling your DS for that, imo.

You might want to lower the front a touch, and make sure you have thick oil in the rear dampers. I like these modern receivers too, so tiny. Nice shiney wheel nuts!

Just looking at your nice tires, if you want a used set to burn up the tarmac with give me a shout.

Tizer - Nimrod are toying with the idea of a couple of ltd run complete cars, but the current process is parts where improvements are genuinely worthwhile or where original parts are no longer available. The clutch is currently being tested. How how I hate helping nimrod out! :P:(