mdp0430

Need Your Help: Restoring My Old Kyosho Rocky

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am seeking help resurecting my beloved Kyosho Rocky that I received in the mid 80's. Some of the parts that I need aren't on Ebay so maybe I'm looking for someone to take on this project. Perhaps someone that may have access to these parts or suitable replacements?

In particular, I need the entire steering assembly. That is, all of the pieces that attach from the steering servo to tierods that attach to the knuckle on the front wheels. In addition I need the servo saver, the pinion that attaches to the motor, the motor mount, a chain, a speed control, and a radio with servos. The steering assembly, the motor pinion, and the motor mount have been impossible to find. I've been able to locate the chain, servo saver and a manual which is in Japanese (pictures are truly worth a thousand words in this case) but I'm reluctant to purchase these items for fear of never being able to find the others. Is there anyone that would be willing to take on a project like this for a fee? Or are there any other suggestions out there?

I appreciate any help that you may provided as I truly would like to get this car running again. It brings back so many memories.

Thank you in advance.

Marc

Hi Marc and welcome to the club!

You have picked a tricky one with the Rocky. It isn't that popular and spares are very hard to find, but they will turn up eventually. The Optima and Ultima range were much more popular, so there are plenty of parts around for them, but parts for the Rocky don't come up that often. Just keep searching ebay and the parts will eventually appear.

Saying that, there are some of the parts you need on ebay right now being sold by jr-rc, the centre steering arm is in the RK-5 plastic parts set.

For the pinion you can use any 32dp 14 tooth pinion to replace the standard kit one, the chains is the same as the one used in all of Kyoshos other 1/10th buggies, so it's easy to find replacements, you can shorten an Optima chain and you have plenty of spare left over, lots of us vintage Kyosho fans usually have spare lengths of chain hanging around. What I usually do is look out for another car on ebay, ideally in bad condition or with parts missing so it's cheap, so I have a backup of parts to get the restoration going then replacing the worn parts as I find the new parts.

The manual can be downloaded here in Japanese, but you will find the Turbo Rocky manual here in english, which makes it easy to identify parts as almost all of the parts are identical between the two cars.

I would not worry about buying the parts in case you can't find the others, that's all part of the experience of vintage r/c, hunting down all those elusive parts to complete your restoration. If you don't buy the parts now when you find the others you will be back to trying to find the parts you missed this time around. It just gives you more satisfaction when you do finally complete it.

Doesn't the Rocky share several parts with the Raider? Yes, I know the Raider is only 2WD but maybe there are some part overlaps that may make it easier to find things.

Thank you both for your thoughtful responses. The hunt has begun...

What would you recommend in terms of modern electronics: radio system, speed control and motor? I see that Tower Hobbies is still in business...

Guys,

Does anyone have any advice on what modern electronics i can use for my Rocky? I need a radio, esc and motor. The stock motor was a LeMans 240ST with a 14T for 32 pinion. Basically going to use the car to relive memories so it will be used on grass and dirt. It's not going to be used for competition or anything like that but I sure would like to see it go fast and not get hung up on anything without having to drop major cash... Any help in the shape of a recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Marc

p.s. The parts I listed in my first email are awaiting delivery, hopefully they'll arrive safe and sound, thanks again!

A nice 19t spec motor should do nicely. That's what I use in most of my vintage runners. It's hotter than a stock motor but not as crazy as a full modified...so hopefully less or no broken parts.

A 19 turn is a good choice of motor, enough speed to make it fly without going too overboard. Kyoshos were built well so can take plenty of abuse, my Ultima runner flies with the 12 turn motor I use in it. :lol:

For electronics any modern radio gear will do, they are still made with the same fitments.

Thank you,

So, the higher the turns, to faster the car will go? I apologize, it's been a long time...

Also, are there any considerations that need to be made when chossing the number of turns in a motor because the car is a 1/10 4wd chain driven off road car?

Do I need to match any specifications when choosing an electronic speed control?

Thanks again,

Marc

No, the lower the turns the faster it goes, but the lower the gearing needed to get the torque needed for accelerating. As I said, I use a 12 turn in my 2wd Ultima, makes it very fast, but I only run it in wide open spaces asthe motor overheats if it is continually stopping and starting.

For an ESC just choose one with a motor limit lower than the motor you choose. For example if you decide to buy a 19 turn motor you need an ESC rated at 19 turns or lower, such as 15 or 10 turn. An ESC rated at more than a 19 turn limit will overheat as the motor will draw more current than the ESC is rated for.