Sign in to follow this  
lucasan

Tamiya Rz Motor Vs Dirt Tuned

I'm finishing up my Hotshot rere kit and I bought a dirt tuned motor. I was thinking to get an RZ motor as well just to see the difference. Which is faster? I'm sure I have to chance the gear ratio, as well as swap out the pinion gear. Which ratio should I use for both motors? Thanks guys.

I know this might sound a bit anal, but here goes, :D

Dirt tuned motor puts out 18000 rpm at no load, compared to 23000 for the Rz's, GET THE RZ's! but u gonna need a half decent esc and metal bearings!

As far as pinions go heres an example:

larger pinion 20Tooth is faster than 18Tooth at top end speed!

18Tooth has higher torque than 20Tooth, but bearly noticable! GET BIGGER PINION GEARS! Just not too big!

P.S. how u liking the hotshot! was gonna get one but not too sure!

I know this might sound a bit anal, but here goes, :D

Dirt tuned motor puts out 18000 rpm at no load, compared to 23000 for the Rz's, GET THE RZ's! but u gonna need a half decent esc and metal bearings!

As far as pinions go heres an example:

larger pinion 20Tooth is faster than 18Tooth at top end speed!

18Tooth has higher torque than 20Tooth, but bearly noticable! GET BIGGER PINION GEARS! Just not too big!

P.S. how u liking the hotshot! was gonna get one but not too sure!

Well I have the dirt tuned motor already, and it's mounted with the 16t pinion. I was going to get the RZ motor, but now I'll probably have to get a different pinion. I also got the ball bearings set so I swapped out the plastic ones for the metal ones. I'm using the esc that came with the kit. I just bought a Spektrum Dx 3.0 that will get here this week so I can finish the car.

This kit has reminded me how much of a pleasure it is build Tamiya cars. The instruction manuals are so well put together and the parts are so well engineered. They really leave little for error. So, yeah, basically I love it so far, just haven't run it yet. thanks for the specs and the info.

low turn motor.... smaller pinion

high turn motor.... larger pinion

So for the RZ I should get an 18T or 20T pinion?

if you want to use a RZ, make sure you have a better ESC installed because i wont advise you to use the kit esc for this motor. you can still get through it but its going to get really hot.

once you have an ESC that handles 23turn and above, you can start trying out the pinions starting from the smallest and work your way up till you feel that the motor doesn't overheat and at the same time you have some good running time.

if you want to use a RZ, make sure you have a better ESC installed because i wont advise you to use the kit esc for this motor. you can still get through it but its going to get really hot.

once you have an ESC that handles 23turn and above, you can start trying out the pinions starting from the smallest and work your way up till you feel that the motor doesn't overheat and at the same time you have some good running time.

That's really good to know. Thanks. But I should be fine running the Dirt Tuned motor with the esc I have right?

yes the teu101 esc is fine with the dirt tuned, GT Tuned and Sports Tuned and my hotshot runs the sports tuned.