hoppi05

A Quick One Which Would Be Best For Learning To Drift

Evening all I have a TT01 & TL01 which would be best for drifting? i have tried both and i seem to think the TL01 but i know lot of people say to use the TT01 any reasons why?

Cheers

i think some people prefer the perpendicular placement of the battery in the tl-01 for balance. doesn't matter to me any, i like them both. i really just wanted to use the word perpendicular in a sentence. :)

as long as it does what you want it to, i don't see why you shouldn't go with the one you prefer.

The TL01 has better stability because of the battery placement... But there are close to no hopups for the car, but the TT01 has... So if you want to hopup later on, go for the TT01...

Also, the TL01 is more a jack of all trades, but hasn't got outstanding performance on anything... It is made to be tough and reliable, to be easy to convert to a buggy, to put rally blocks under for off-road driving with the regular suspension arms, to lower and use as a standard touring car... But because it wants to be able to do all that AND be reliable, it's performance is limited.

The TT01 however is clearly not made for off-road driving. If you look at the drive shafts you see that they are short, and that the maximum movement the suspension could be able to make is limited compared to the TL01, but that doesn't matter on-road. And unless you're planning to ram your car onto the pavement the TT01 should hold together too. There are many hopup parts for it out there, it is probably the succesor of the TL01, but more based on on-road driving since there are not too many rally drivers out there... and those who are probably want a ta01, ta02, ta03, tb01 or a modified tb02.

So I think the TT01 would be a better choice for drfiting, since you will be certain that you won't go drifitng on a rough surface :)

Very good info cheers!.... hummmmm a tricky choice i have both a TL01 and a TT01 but the TT01 is a great touring car and i really have no use for the poor TL01 so i think it will be the TL01, i know its going against what you advise which all sounds true but i dont have the funds for another TT01 at the mo... i might sell the TL01 or trade it some how and get another TT01??......

I am going to lower the surspention write down on the TL01 and go from there...

By the way its taking time to get used to this drifting lark! i think i need a stick controller!

Oh and good use of perpendicular taliesin lol

There isn't a huge difference between them for drifting, I've used both. I prefer the TT01 for it's slightly more efficient drivetrain. Some say the TL01 is more tail happy.

Well, my advice for using the tt01 was mainly because the tt01 is more a road-only car and more hopupable ;) But the TL01 could certainly make a good driftcar... in fact, to get a basic drifting car you'll only need drifting tires :)

If you are planning to use the TL01, I would think the following hopups will be nice to have:

- Oil filled shocks (Most important to upgrade on any Tamiya kit, those standard friction dampers are just awful).

- Short springs on the oil filled shocks (makes the car lower, and it will enable you to use spacers or adjust a ring on some shocks to just change the ground clearance on the car)

- Adjustable upper arms (for the camber settings).

- Adjustable turnbuckle tie-rod (for adjusting the toe of the front wheels).

If you have your TL01 equipped with that you can do quite some stuff on the setup of your car. And an advantage of the TL01 is that I know from experience that you can run this onto a pavement and have it surviving it... So that's nice if you have misjudge a corner...

Also you might want to lock the rear dif for drifting... There is an easy guide in someone's showroom, and you can even make the conversion from a locked back to a regular dif without damage or a *load of effort :P So if you're interested, you can visit this showroom entry ;)

Cheers Origineelreclamebord Thats great! do you think the locked diff would prove benificial for drifting? i can see how it would as there would be no slipping in the gears but is that cheating :)

Well, in the 1:1 drifting scene many drifters use lockdiffs on their cars... And why would it be cheating? It makes it's performance better, but it's not handling aid like for example the HPI Dbox ;) And unless you want to join drifting races nothing on your car will actually be cheating as long as you don't consider it as cheating :)

I have been looking on ebay for some of the parts you surgested for the TL01 Unfortunately i bought the front & rear adjustable uper arms and adjustable tie rod ends from DINBALL for the TT01 lol. So they should help me try and control the 19 turn motor + i am thinking about front and rear stabliser kits for the TT01, are they any good?

There is one hop up for the TL01 that has cought my eye and thats the Tamiya TL01 Speed Tuned Gear Set NEW 53342 TL01B TL01RA are these worth ago the reviews look promising and they are pretty cheap...

Heres the link to it on ebay - EBAY LINK

I am also going to give the looked diff ago when i get a glue gun, which i cannot wait for as i have not used one since school!

You could go for the speed tuned gearing, but you already have a fast motor and maybe you should switch to a smaller motor pinion because else your motor will not be able to coap with the stresses of the heavier gearing... (I'm not an exact expert on it though) :blink:

And I've never tested stabiliser kits... It probably depends on what surface you run your car and at what speeds you run it. If your suspension itself is stiff enough I am not sure you will need them... Just a matter of testing I guess, or finding someone who has tested them.

that what i figured, if the suspention is slightly soft then a set of stabilsers may carm some of the roll caused by this and they are a lot cheaper than CVA's. I think for starters i am going to stick a normal 540 motor in and may be the speed tuned gear set as its only 5 and my drifting skill is pretty poor!