jwrAMC

Cut & Stretched Tl01 Rwd Project

I figured I'd start a new thread under a more accurate title, in case interested folks might be missing these posts.

A quick recap:

I won a used TL01 chassis on eBay for cheap and wanted to stretch the wheelbase to fit a pair of bodies I bought without considering their longer length (HPI's '70 Cuda and '69 Charger bodies). Their width is perfect.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXGTE6&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXHPB8&P=ML

TL01 wheelbase: 10" (254mm)

Body wheelbase: 11.5" (293mm) <The advertised 12"WB is wrong>

wheelbaseec6.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------

DUE TO THE GRAPHIC NATURE OF THE FOLLOWING PHOTOS, VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

Out came the saw and as you see below, the chassis has now been stretched (sorry to all of you that hated the idea!). Finding a 'U'-channel in the right size wasn't happening, so going with 4 pieces of 3/4" 'L'-channel is how I went. Each is 3.5" long, and as previously laid out, the new gap is 1.5" long.

stretched1ry6.jpg

It's actually quite rigid after all. Just waiting for an adjustable steering kit, an ESC and receiver. Meanwhile, I'll get started on prepping the body.

stretched2we2.jpg

Some of the guys over at [link=http://www.TamiyaClub.com]www.TamiyaClub.com[/link] suggested that the chassis was too visible under the body. One suggested raising the suspension up (by using longer lower shock ends) and then lowering the mounting of the body.

The left shots are 'before' the shock work. But I did the changes and the right-side shots are what we got:

rideheight0wc5.jpg

I think it worked out real well! And the raised center of gravity should certainly help ruin the handling some more. :)

I then cut-down the posts and took this double-exposure of the chassis wearing both bodies.

2bodiesax1.jpg

...and now the blower is GONE. Much better!

flathood1fp2.jpg

I was then at the LHS looking for paint for the Charger body, and saw the same HPI wheels and tires I have, but in the matte silver finish...which mimics aluminum very nicely. I decided I like them better than the chrome, so I grabbed a pair of 26mm for the front, 31mm for the rear, and a pair of 31mm treaded tires to complete the setup. Now the rear wells are filled nicely, width-wise.

charger2qe7.jpg

charger5nd9.jpg

charger3mz8.jpg

----------------------------------------------

Then, the paintjob...

dmcl08aa3.jpg

Most of the details are stickers included with the body. I didn't use the bumper stickers as I knew they would get scrubbed off with the first collision, so the bumpers are painted silver from behind. The other painted details are the black stripes. These were simply masked off and brush painted first, allowed to dry, then the yellow got brushed over them. The shabby-looking '440' numbers on the stripes are, obviously, hand-painted (sorry!).

For much of the 1970s through 1990s, fans of the film argued about what color the car was. The film itself confused the matter by having the police alternately describing the car as 'yellow' or 'green'. In fact, both are right, as it is a factory Dodge color called 'Citron Yellow' which is a bright yellow with a hint of green tint in it. But what happened is that the film was shot, then turned over to developers that 'color-corrected' it, as they thought the car showing up slightly green was a defect in the film itself. They tweaked it to look yellow...and so most fans assume the car is indeed bright yellow. The 2005 DVD release re-corrected the color back to its proper greenish hue.

Here's a video of the real Charger's last, long chase sequences: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To7MJB83kZI

As for my car, I said before I have no experience with airbrushing, and finding Citron Yellow in a polycarbonate spray wasn't happening. So I grabbed bottles of Pactra's 'Daytona Yellow' and 'Rally Green', then put 10 drops of the green into the yellow bottle, stirred and then brushed it on. When dry, I sprayed the inside again with straight Daytona Yellow to even out and brighten the final look. What you see is what I got. Darn close to correct in my eyes...tho doing it again, I'd add some white in, too, as it seems a little dark overall.

Here's a few more shots. ;)

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4968/dmcl09vz4.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8343/dmcl07te9.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7025/dmcl10xq3.jpg

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/518/dmcl11fq1.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------

Here's a video of the car out playing. "MMmmmmmm.....doughnuts!"

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?image=charger2ab8.flv

The battery is in the stock location for drivability...and I've gotta say I'm impressed by the car's behavior right off the bench. The rear end squats nicely on launch, and the body rolls (leans) when it slaloms! Very scale for this era of car.

Next time out I'll stiffen the rear springs a bit to get some wheespin on launch (without having to use loose pebbles to get the spin started as in this video) and hopefully we won't lose too much of that squating on launch.[:)]

--------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's the rear-mounted battery. The forward position remains unchanged so that the car can be setup either way- wheelie machine or road car.

First issue was that the butt dropped under the weight. Slapping thick spring spacers in fixed that.

When I ran the car this way, the nose was unsurprisingly light, barely even trying to steer. Full-throttle launches lifted the front a wee bit, but the front tires barely left the asphalt. Seems I need more motor or steeper gearing to get the lift I seek. Any recommendations?[:o]

rearbatt1hm5.jpg

rearbatt2eg8.jpg

Whew! Compiling all that was fun! Now, on to the latest work...

The painting of the 'Cuda has started. As discussed in the old thread, I've finally decided to stick with the 'roach rod' idea, and am doing it up as 'that damned POS car from down the street'...the white-trash hot-rod long past its prime.

The left quarter panel is now black, and will be wet-sanded to a matte look of primer. This is the 'new' quarter panel the owner installed recently.

The valances, front & rear, and the right-side fender and door have all been replaced with good used parts from a metallic blue base-model Barracuda donor car in the junkyard. The rest of this car will be its 'original' metallic purple. The right quarter panel and driver's door will both wear portions of the car's original 'hockey stick' stripes. That right-side quarter panel is to be repaired at a later date, but for now shows significant rust-through at the rear.

cudapaint1sz7.jpg

cudapaint2uq1.jpg

The front wheels for the body will be the chromed HPI vintage 26mm with vintage treaded tires. The rears will be these black HPI 31mm 'stock-car' wheels (rusted a bit, with mismatched lug nuts and obvious wheel weights added) with a set of HPI vintage racing slicks.

blackrimsaz5.jpg

Stay tuned as this thing gets worse and worse. [:)]

I love that idea for the rustbucket. I was going to do that to a Parma El Camino shell a couple years ago, but other projects intervened and I never got around to it. Looking forward to seeing the Beater-Cuda in all its, ahem, "glory."

Hmm...I'm just a bit disgruntled. My paints and other supplies again did not arrive today. I checked the Tower site to find my latest 2 orders both shipped via UPS out of Reno, NV. Normally my stuff has come from Champaign, IL and via UPS they arrive in 2 days. The Reno items will apparently take 9 days total! ARRGH! I won't see the purple paint 'til Monday!! So much for finishing this body up today...or even this week. (yea, I know...shoulda just gone to the LHS for the stuff...late night shopping in your underwear isn't always the best option, eh?) :rolleyes:

So since I can't spray the purple, I skipped ahead and peeled the plastic wrap and detailed the outside today. Again, the bumpers are painted silver inside the shell while the rest of the details are HPI-supplied stickers. I must give big props to HPI for the exacting size/shape and flexibility of these stickers. They are dead-on in their locations, and wrap where needed to follow body contours perfectly. With attention to detail like this, why paint at all (no need to explain...I know why....just exaggerating!)? :angry:

In keeping with the 'beater' scenario, I've done the following:

- loaded the quarter windows with parts-maker stickers (for parts the car probably doesn't even have installed).

- added a 'Mopar' logo to the backlight (because 'Cudas are easily mistaken for something else...NOT).

- junkyard grease pen 'SOLD' markings on the blue panels (because the parts have just been installed without cleaning them off right away).

- the partial 'hockey stick' stripes are on (the driver's door bit is nearly invisible right now).

- the passenger-side rocker trim is on, but the driver's is not (due to the recent quarter panel installation).

- side marker lens for the 'new' quarter panel 'missing' (not yet put back on)

- purple quarter panel's rusted area has jagged holes actually cut out.

- 'FOR SALE' sign (because he's hurting for cash since his latest DWI).

The body hasn't been fully trimmed-out yet as the purple paint is still to be applied. The extra plastic under the front bumper MIGHT end up trimmed to look like a JCWhitney add-on spoiler (flat black)...or it'll get chopped off. I'll decide later.

cudapaint4aw2.jpg

cudapaint5ri8.jpg

cudapaint6oe1.jpg

Other ideas I'm juggling:

- one lengthy crack in the windshield, starting at the bottom in front of the driver, and winding up and toward the passenger side, ending near the very center of the glass.

- a tinted aftermarket sunroof.

- one broken tail light lens.

- [your ideas here...whatcha thinkin'??]

More soon...

Dented doors and / or other panels, eg; roof or boot (trunk) ?

1 missing headlight ?

Maybe a smashed & taped over quarter light ?

Dented doors and / or other panels, eg; roof or boot (trunk) ?

1 missing headlight ?

Maybe a smashed & taped over quarter light ?

For a smashed lens, I'm going to go with the passenger-side tail light. Gotta find some red tape to cover the broken portion with. :rolleyes:

A missing headlight would be a bit much, as they are SO cheap, this guy isn't gonna run around without one. Even a beat-up 'Cuda is vauable, so he's gotta have SOME money. (over-thinking here? :o )

As for dents, I definately want to. I'm thinking the driver's fender could use a good crease near the foward corner of the wheel well. :angry:

Thanks. :)

Man, that car is going to look like half the cars in my high-school parking lot. :rolleyes:

How about a coat-hanger radio antenna (or better, CB antenna) and a little-boy-peeing-on-a-Ford-logo sticker? And of course, the trunk lock needs to be missing.

Man, that car is going to look like half the cars in my high-school parking lot. :rolleyes:

Exactly what I want. :angry:

How about a coat-hanger radio antenna (or better, CB antenna) and a little-boy-peeing-on-a-Ford-logo sticker? And of course, the trunk lock needs to be missing.

LMAO!! Every one of those ideas is fawking awesome! Gotta get to work on the sticker and hanger....but the trunk lock is now gone (just drilled it)! Thanks!

You really need to have the back end liftedv a bit.

I think everyone back from 76on to about 89 had air shocks in the rear lifting it for wider tires.

A holley carb decal in the rear window, hooker headers and hurst shifter too were popular decals.

See my fake GTO, a Tempest from the era

pontiac1.JPG

I might have the antenna on hand...hmm....

The Hurst stickers are already there, and I've just added the Holley and Hooker stickers to the rear glass.

I'd need to replace the rear posts (again) to get more height, but then the well aren't cut out fully yet, so it will look more raised when that's done. I'll decide then.

Thanks all. :rolleyes:

The latest shots, which include:

- The missing trunk lock cylinder

- Rear valance installed

- Rear steel wheels installed, aged, etc.

- new rear glass stickers

cudapaint7yp4.jpg

cudapaint8mx3.jpg

Last update today....promise! :rolleyes:

These shots include:

- Fully trimmed shell (still to be sanded for straighter lines)

- custom front spoiler trimmed out and painted black.

- Rear license plate (from Blackfoot Xtreme, modified with 'Plymouth' logo).

cudapaint9ann4.jpg

cudapaint9bly3.jpg

AWESOME !!!!!!!

I love that rusty fender.

One other small suggestion: grease paint numers on a corner of the screen from a weekend drag meeting maybe ?

This is the only decent example I can find of what I mean:

First pass with Pactra's 'Grape Pearl'...

cudapaint9cyc3.jpg

The second coat is drying now, then I'll hit it with silver. Then two shades of tint on the windows, a little trim work and she'll be all done....sorta. :huh:

Well, while waiting for paint to dry, I was re-reading the above posts, and BJ's mention of the old K40 antenna reminded me that 20 years ago, I got sick of my ol' Bigfoot having such a long antenna. The LHS had a more scale replacement with a real metal base and stiff antenna mast about 6" long. I did some digging and found it. I tested it out and it and the 20-year-old receiver it's spliced to are working perfectly. I then snipped a spare tie rod end to get a proper size black collar for the antenna base and used a black marker on a red sticker to create the logo, and viola!...

antennauk1.jpg

Howz that for ya, BJ? It's even bracketed to the leading edge of the trunklid like all the cool guys had it. :D ..and now, no foot-long plastic tube sticking up to ruin the scale appearance. :huh:

Now you just need a driver figure with a mullet.

\m/

I'm on it! :huh:

Here's a bunch of new pics...painted, tinted, more details.

Last night I realized I'd painted the separate rear valance piece wrong. It turns out the quarter panels on real 'Cudas hang lower while the valance is narrower. HPI didn't mold these panel lines, so I assumed the place where the 2 pieces are joined was the proper panel separation. Wrong! The panel lines should be directly under the lower corners of the bumper. My only option for fixing it was to tape it along the 'correct' panel line, and paint the outer portions on the outside to match each quarter panel. That also meant I needed to extend the rotted area further down on the right side.

Also-

- The For Sale sign has been moved inside the windshield.

- The side and rear glass is tinted.

- The custom K40 CB antenna is on an aluminum-looking bracket (adhesive foil).

- Nitrous stickers are added to the front spoiler and tail panel.

- Taped-up tail light.

Now for the photos (almost finished!)...

cudapaint9kuw2.jpg

cudapaint9lug6.jpg

cudapaint9ikk1.jpg

cudapaint9jab9.jpg

WOW.....that is simply stunning, just a fantastic piece of work.

Superb attention to detail & very realistic, great work on that K40 too :huh:

Oh, stop...I'm blushing. :rolleyes:

Thanks a bunch. I couldn't have done it without the great suggestions that came from everyone. You're all in there somewhere.

Here's a short video of the body in motion...

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cuda1pt2.flv

I also replaced the photos in my previous post with better ones taken outdoors today. :)

I can see the Craigslist ad now...

"FOR SALE: 1971 Cuda, rebuilt 440 4bbl, 727 auto trans, Sure-Grip rear end, buckets, console, AC dont work, lots of work done, hate to sell but need money, baby on the way. Runs good but trans slips a little. Needs brakes and tags. $8000 obo, 555-867-5309, ask for Randy."

I can see the Craigslist ad now...

"FOR SALE: 1971 Cuda, rebuilt 440 4bbl, 727 auto trans, Sure-Grip rear end, buckets, console, AC dont work, lots of work done, hate to sell but need money, baby on the way. Runs good but trans slips a little. Needs brakes and tags. $8000 obo, 555-867-5309, ask for Randy."

Based on that ad and the listed price, I'd be in his driveway so fast, it'd make his mullet spin. :rolleyes: These days, the worst pile of junk 'Cuda is still worth big bucks.