reenmachine

Whats that all about then? Is A Quid?

EDIT: looks like one can't say "doubleyou tee eff" -- that's what was in the title. :rolleyes: badword! badword!

Is a quid simply 1? Where does the name come from? At least I know how to make the "" :angry:

Clue me in and I'll let you in on any of our American cultural secrets you want. Don't know why you'd want to know any, but whatever...

There are alot of words that describe an english pound coin or ""

Quid being one of them. Bit like a trunk. What's all that about? EVERYONE knows it's called a boot :rolleyes:

There are alot of words that describe an english pound coin or ""

Quid being one of them. Bit like a trunk. What's all that about? EVERYONE knows it's called a boot :angry:

Being a car guy, I do know of boots and bonnets and such and I spend enough time at a proper local to know what a chip really is :rolleyes:

There are a lot of different theories for why "quid" is used to describe 1. It originates possibly from the price of a Quid of tobacco, being the measure of chewing tobacco used for a single dose, or maybe from the latin Quid Quo Pro, or perhaps it came from the fact that the original Royal Mint in the UK was in a place called Quidhampton....

http://www.businessballs.com/clichesorigins.htm#quid slang word origins://http://www.businessballs.com/cliche...ng word origins

....or perhaps it came from the fact that the original Royal Mint in the UK was in a place called Quidhampton...

:rolleyes:

Now that I didn't know..

but then again.. I'm Australian

I guess same applies here, if there's any Australian-ism that you need clarification on.

Ask away, and no doubt one of TC's residents Aussies (Myself Included) will answer you.

(Accuracy of the answer not guaranteed due to the Aussie possibly "Having a Lend of you") :angry:

Nice one, what is fair dinkum and who was Bonza? :o

Other names for British Pounds... Sovs, nicker (Southeast of England), spondolies, wedge, brass, although the last two are more to do with money. :angry: Can't think of any more... :rolleyes:

Other names for British Pounds... Sovs, nicker (Southeast of England), spondolies, wedge, brass, although the last two are more to do with money. :P Can't think of any more... :blink:

Beer tokens :P

Well, with all these Brits and Aussies in here, :P perhaps someone can give me a hint on this:

WHAT is this about driving on the wrong side of the road, you got going on? Are you only trying to be "weird" or IS there really a good reason for it? (And NO, its not the rest of the World, whos got it wrong.. Only you, lol) And are there any plans about changing it, that you know of? (Like Sweden.. They also did it, but came to their senses in the early 70s i believe)

Any ideas on this matter?? :blink:

Cheers..

Michael

WHAT is this about driving on the wrong side of the road, you got going on?

Becuase the world is predominantly right handed, we drive on the left so as to be able to give the most accurate 'hand signals' :blink:

Becuase the world is predominantly right handed, we drive on the left so as to be able to give the most accurate 'hand signals' :P

PMSL, "hand signals" :blink:

Bikes give the ultimate in flexibility though, being able to convey your message to the myopians with either hand.

You should see the state of driving on UK roads, then try and get them to swap?! It would be chaos and mayhem!

Becuase the world is predominantly right handed, we drive on the left so as to be able to give the most accurate 'hand signals' :P

That's the best reason I've ever heard! :blink:

You should see the state of driving on UK roads, then try and get them to swap?! It would be chaos and mayhem!

Too many BMW's on the road if you ask me :blink:

I blame Ryan :P

LOL, Twinset.. Now that was a good reason. :blink: Any others who wants to explain the strange thing about driving on the wrong side of road??

Cheers

Oooooooooooooooooooohhhh, i see. :P

So there WAS an actual reason, and not just an attempt to be "funny"...

Thanks for the links.. :P

Cheers... :blink:

Oooooooooooooooooooohhhh, i see. :P

So there WAS an actual reason, and not just an attempt to be "funny"...

Thanks for the links.. ;)

Cheers... :blink:

Yeah, amazing how most things date back to sword fights and knights with lances

In UK church weddings, the bride's family sit on the left, so that if there's anyone in the bride's family that disagrees with the wedding, they're on the groom's right (sword side) on the way out :P

Well, it sounds a bit like UK hasnt moved an inch since the dark medieval times. :blink:

Well, it sounds a bit like UK hasnt moved an inch since the dark medieval times. :P

That could well be it :blink:

Now, where'd I put my turnip?

Ouch.. I have NO clue about what a turnip could be?? Is it some sort of head-wear, or??

LOL, or is it just a re-phrase of Turpin? Itd go well with the "medieval-spirit" of you chaps.

Or perhaps a really strange crossover: "Quick, Swiftnick.. To the Batmobile".... (Perhaps i am overtired?)

LOL, or is it just a re-phrase of Turpin? Itd go well with the "medieval-spirit" of you chaps.

Or perhaps a really strange crossover: "Quick, Swiftnick.. To the Batmobile".... (Perhaps i am overtired?)

A turnip is a root vegetable, like a swede?