I posted a topic a while back about painting my countach lp500s. Alot of you said to use a grey primer. However due to where i live i dont have access to any dedicated model shops that supply primer let alone tamiya spray paint.

I have found numerous web sites that supply spray paint which is not a problem, however non of them supply primer. Does anybody know of any sites at all? Also is it ok to use polycarbonate spray paints on the hard countach body?

As you know i greatly appreciate any advice.

cheers

richid="red">

As I live in Germany myself, I took a look in the latest Tamiya Model Magazine for shops in the UK, where I suppose you live (?).

"The Hobby Shop Lewes" (chris.enser@btinternet.com) shop Tamiya's complete range of paints (including sprays) according to their add. TEL: 01273 472344

Also, I would very surprised to hear that Hannant's (www.hannants.co.uk) don't stock primers. TEL: 0208 205 6697

www.modelactive.co.uk should be another hot tip in the UK. TEL: 0191 387 4338

I would highly recommend you don't use sprays for lexan on hard plastic bodies. Some brands may even destroy/warp/melt the plastic as polycarbonate sprays are intended to etch the plastic for maximum adhesion. Tamiya polycarbonate sprays won't attack the plastic, but dry with a matt or semigloss surface (depending on the colour and humidity when you spray). Also, whatever you do, Tamiya polycarbonate sprays will spray thicker layers than plastic model paints, so delicate details will easily get filled and covered.

Thanks for the info, and the sites. So if i cant use polycarbonate paints, what paints do i use?????

Me is confused!

Richard.....you live near or in Hastings right? I live about 25 mins north of Hasting (just off the A21). Tunbridge Wells is not far from you..less than an hour. There are 2 model shops there (EM models and Ballards) that both sell Tamiya and Humbrol model paints. A little closer to home for you...Streamline Models I think is on the A21 at silver hill on the way out of Hastings. I think they sell Tamiya paints too. I mentioned in a reply to topic of yours before that I have found humbrol primers excellent for hard plastic bodies and these come in more colour options than a lot of the Tamiya primers model shops usualy stock. The Humbrol flat or matt finish sprays make great primers too. Hope this helps!

Do not use Tamiya's Polycarbonate "PS" paints. Although it will stick on hard plastic well, the finish is very rough and matte.

I have heard that Pactra's Fascolor lexan paints will dry shiny, but I haven't tried it myself. You'll need an airbrush for them.

For hard plastic, it is best to use anything the 1/24 static guys use - its the same material after all. Don't you have any local model shops at all? They would sell at least some brands of model paint eg Humbrol, MrColor, Gunze, Testors etc etc.

Tamiya also sells good acrylic "X" paints in bottles, which you can use in an airbrush.

At a pinch you can risk using aerosols made for auto or household, but avoid the enamels. These often have solvents that can soften the ABS plastic. Acrylics are usually ok.

I have found also that a cheap and very good solution are car spray cans sold in hardware stores to repair damages on your car, they exist in much bigger variety of shades then the model paints, also primer and clear coat for metallic exists, they are much cheaper than TS, because they are double+ in size.

Of course since I don't know what kind of paints exist in your region, try first on scrap part of the same plastic to see if it doesn't attack it, the ones I tried till now all worked fine.

thanks beetle, shall have to hunt them down. And thanks for the other bits of info people. greatly appreciated.

richid="red">

Reviving this 17 year old thread to ask a question: Can I use Tamiya's fine primer on lexan?

If you mean on the outside, why would you? And no don’t spray it on the inside otherwise your colour will  only be grey! I presume you know lexan is meant to be sprayed on the inside.

@CoolHands, I am painting a driver figure set and was thinking that it would hold the Tamiya X paints better.

I just use amazon

I’m using hycote plastic primer (make sure it’s the plastic one bit the general one)

£7 for 400ml massive can 

JJ

54 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

Its a good price at £3.09 for 300ml compared to over £6 for the Halfords paint. I have a depot right near me here so might try some.

1 hour ago, Problemchild said:

@acprc  let me know how you get on 

JJ

I will do. None in the Peterborough depot though, will keep an eye out