Sign in to follow this  
lucasan

Annoying Beeping From Teu-101bk Receiver

Set everything up, plugs are in right etc., etc. When I switch on the thing, it starts beeping annoyingly. I actually took apart the chassis of my Hotshot to get to the reset button on the esc and it still didn't work. More beeping. What gives? Thanks as always. Your help to a noob is always appreciated.

-oh and I meant to say esc in the title.

Set everything up, plugs are in right etc., etc. When I switch on the thing, it starts beeping annoyingly. I actually took apart the chassis of my Hotshot to get to the reset button on the receiver and it still didn't work. More beeping. What gives? Thanks as always. Your help to a noob is always appreciated.

have you turned on the transmitter??

I would check the wiring to the reciever and if it travels to close to a power lead that can give interfearance which can sometimes lead to the TEU cutting out, tho its more often a problem at a distance.

Perhaps try the esc in a car where u know all the other electrics are good to see if its actually at fault or if its something else in this car.

regards

Ryck

I would check the wiring to the reciever and if it travels to close to a power lead that can give interfearance which can sometimes lead to the TEU cutting out, tho its more often a problem at a distance.

Perhaps try the esc in a car where u know all the other electrics are good to see if its actually at fault or if its something else in this car.

regards

Ryck

Thanks guys, well now I'm thinking it's a battery low warning. I just got a new piranha ac/dc quick charger which is sort of a pain because you have to plug in two little wires to the thing and it's all programmable and digital and stuff. I think I'm not properly charging the battery. I checked everything else and it's all good. Unfortunately this is my only car until I order my durga so I can't test the esc in another car. I might call tamiya or omnimodels on monday to ask them what's up. Anybody else have any ideas? Thanks again.

Hi mate, also check that you havent trapped any wires between the chassis and the mech box, as its easy to do with the Hotshot.

Regards

KingPin

That esc has no battery low warning either.

It beeps when it detects no radio signal being received by the receiver.

You need a receiver with BEC for the teu 101bk. The red power wire from the esc needs to be plugged into the battery input on the receiver, the correct way around. The signal cable needs to be plugged in the correct way.

Once thats all done the esc should allow you to enter setup mode, and should then work fine.

Ok, but what is BEC? I have a Spektrum SR3000 receiver. I had already bound the receiver to the transmitter before. Maybe the Spektrum is just not compatible with the esc? I dunno.

Ok, but what is BEC? I have a Spektrum SR3000 receiver. I had already bound the receiver to the transmitter before. Maybe the Spektrum is just not compatible with the esc? I dunno.

Jeez, give a noob something to mess up and what does he do? messes it up of course. I had the plugs flipped. I was following the illustration, but it wasn't clear. The two prong/hole goes in the battery outlet, not the throttle outlet. I was noodling around the tamiya site this morning and there was a video thing about the esc I have and it made things pretty clear. Thanks guys.

well a little update on the current situation:

Throttle works fine, and annoying beeping is gone. Was able to set the esc fine and it responds fine. Now, the steering servo is totally unresponsive. It worked before, a little movement with steering control from the transmitter when the throttle wouldn't work. I'm having a bad go of it out of the gate for some reason. I remember my wild One kit being much simpler. The throttle was controlled by a separate servo with a friction plate being the speed controller. I could be wrong, it was twenty years ago, but this was before the time of esc's. I'm about to order my durga kit, but want to have this thing cinched before I move on to another project.

Maybe I messed up the settings on the transmitter. I'm using the Spektrum DX 3.0. Does anyone know how to reset the thing back to factory settings? Could I have fried the servo wiring it wrong initially? Hard to believe I did.

I appreciate all of the help everyone has given here. I'd be lost without these forums.

that little red plug supplies full 7.2V to the receiver(RX)

if the RX had "BEC" inbuilt, it would take the 7.2V and reduce it to 6.0V to feed the servos & itself... not sure if the SR3000 has BEC

servos might not like running off 7.2V, 6.0V is usually their rated max

or plugging them in wrong can easily fry their controlboard too

I'd get a batterybox of 4xAAs and test your RX+servo with that ... to see if the servo is still working.

that little red plug supplies full 7.2V to the receiver(RX)

if the RX had "BEC" inbuilt, it would take the 7.2V and reduce it to 6.0V to feed the servos & itself... not sure if the SR3000 has BEC

servos might not like running off 7.2V, 6.0V is usually their rated max

or plugging them in wrong can easily fry their controlboard too

I'd get a batterybox of 4xAAs and test your RX+servo with that ... to see if the servo is still working.

Well it's dead. I tried another servo and it worked fine. I am simply having the worst luck with this rc stuff and that's that. I ordered a new servo from someone on ebay, along with a spare receiver. Now I need a new servo and have sift through ebay or someplace else to get one. If the SR3000 doesn't have BEC (still don't know what it stands for) then I'm kind of screwed. I would be surprised if it didn't since it is a relatively new system.

Well it's dead. I tried another servo and it worked fine. I am simply having the worst luck with this rc stuff and that's that. I ordered a new servo from someone on ebay, along with a spare receiver. Now I need a new servo and have sift through ebay or someplace else to get one. If the SR3000 doesn't have BEC (still don't know what it stands for) then I'm kind of screwed. I would be surprised if it didn't since it is a relatively new system.

So I'm having a hard time getting a solid answer from anyone about bec. Is it the receiver or the esc that has the bec? I'll have to switch out one of them so where should I start? Anyone have any experience with Spektrum radios/receivers and maybe even with the TEU-101BK esc?

check out spectrum's site for info there

many new recievers no longer have built in BEC (battery eliminator circuitry) because most current ESC's do have it built in. They dropped the BEC circuit from many systems within the last 3 years or so.

The tamiya ESC does NOT, hence the 2 wire red plug and it feeds full (7.2v) voltage to a reciever. That is why it says in the instructions someplace it requires a radio system w/ BEC.

It's a cheapy ESC though it works pretty gfood with the right setup

So you need to figure if your spectrum reciever has a BEC circuit, or get a better quality ESC

Thanks billg4

I don't think the sr300 has bec since the guy at spektrum said that the esc should have bec. So now I guess I need the esc. Do you think that the TEU-302Bk is up to it? If not, what are some other ESC's that I should look at? for instance, will this work? http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0001...SCM8320&P=7 Thanks

Hi,

The SR3000 is equiped with BEC, so you just have to connect te red bec cable from the TEU-101BK to the bat/tel from the SR3000. Make sure the red matches + and black - (black on the same pin as brown of servo). BTW BEC stands for battery eleminator circuit and was invented for running the receiver on main battery power instead of 4 heavy AA size batts in your car!

Hope this helps,

Max

Hi,

The SR3000 is equiped with BEC, so you just have to connect te red bec cable from the TEU-101BK to the bat/tel from the SR3000. Make sure the red matches + and black - (black on the same pin as brown of servo). BTW BEC stands for battery eleminator circuit and was invented for running the receiver on main battery power instead of 4 heavy AA size batts in your car!

Hope this helps,

Max

I wish it were true Max. The guys at Spektrum said the SR3000 didn't have BEC. I got all excited when I read your reply, but then went and called them. Maybe they're just ignorant, but I looked on the specs od the SR3000 and couldn't find BEC anywhere. Incidentally, if the BEC on an esc says 5v/1a what does that mean exactly? Here is an example of what I mean:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXGZX1&P=ML

Also, is this a decent esc? It's much less expensive than the first one I linked.

5V/1A refers to the output max of the BECircuitry, it'll supply 5V regulated at max 1A current.

1A is enough to power standard servo + RX; only hi-torque hi-speed digital super servos might want more.

Top spec ESCs for racing/crawling can offer 3-5A BECs.

You get what you pay for with ESCs.

There's also some occasional problems with using LRP "AI" series with SR3000; its automatic no-touch setup

can get confused when using Spektrum as it takes a while to negotiate handshake at startup,

same period as when the AI is doing its autosetup routine.

Futabas are always reliable ;)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI00...C=MJD&V=FUT

Although i'd suspect your servo probably died due to reverse voltage plugging.

If run at 7.2V... they usually work at hyperactive speeds but its not usually deadly immediately.

rigght folks i have the same problem. mines beeps...and ive replaced the esc and the reciver with brand new items. uive tried my old reciever and old msc. so...will it be the transmitter?

5V/1A refers to the output max of the BECircuitry, it'll supply 5V regulated at max 1A current.

1A is enough to power standard servo + RX; only hi-torque hi-speed digital super servos might want more.

Top spec ESCs for racing/crawling can offer 3-5A BECs.

You get what you pay for with ESCs.

There's also some occasional problems with using LRP "AI" series with SR3000; its automatic no-touch setup

can get confused when using Spektrum as it takes a while to negotiate handshake at startup,

same period as when the AI is doing its autosetup routine.

Futabas are always reliable :)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI00...C=MJD&V=FUT

Although i'd suspect your servo probably died due to reverse voltage plugging.

If run at 7.2V... they usually work at hyperactive speeds but its not usually deadly immediately.

Willy, out of those esc's I'd probably consider the mc230 or 330. I'm just trying to figure out if I really need a 330 or not. Right now I'm running a dirt tuned tuned motor in my hotshot and will be running an rz in the durga initially. I think down the line, I'd like to run something a little hotter in the durga, so my esc should be a forethought. All these considerations! I just want to get one now so I can run my hotshot that's been collecting dust since I built it.

330 works great for me, no complaints

to be honest... if buying new i'd go for a Novak XRS before the 230... as i really hate the 230/330's beeping!

(i like turning off the TX to save batteries and leaving the car parked)

XRS should be priced between the 230 & 330 i think

or just put some budget radiogear into the hotshot, most have cheapy RX with BEC

330 works great for me, no complaints

to be honest... if buying new i'd go for a Novak XRS before the 230... as i really hate the 230/330's beeping!

(i like turning off the TX to save batteries and leaving the car parked)

XRS should be priced between the 230 & 330 i think

or just put some budget radiogear into the hotshot, most have cheapy RX with BEC

That's cool I think I'll get the 330 for the durga for now. I was wondering if maybe just getting a novak BEC unit like this one: http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0001...OVM5463&P=7 would be a good alternative to getting a whole new esc. What do you guys think?

That's cool I think I'll get the 330 for the durga for now. I was wondering if maybe just getting a novak BEC unit like this one: http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0001...OVM5463&P=7 would be a good alternative to getting a whole new esc. What do you guys think?

Its good... but $30??! i wouldn't pay that... $10 max for a BEC addon... ok maybe $15 if Tamiya branded :lol:

y'know, have you actually TRIED plugging in the ESC+RX+newservo?

just don't get the polarity wrong & for all you know it could work;

if the servo runs hyperactive then only try something else

In the old days before they invented BECs... we used to drop the voltage using power diodes.

Memory is hazy but i think we used something like "IN4004" or thereabouts; put them inline

with the +ve powerlead from battery to RX, each diode drops the voltage by 0.7V.

Worth trying if your servo proves overpowered & you're handy with soldering.

Its good... but $30??! i wouldn't pay that... $10 max for a BEC addon... ok maybe $15 if Tamiya branded :(

y'know, have you actually TRIED plugging in the ESC+RX+newservo?

just don't get the polarity wrong & for all you know it could work;

if the servo runs hyperactive then only try something else

In the old days before they invented BECs... we used to drop the voltage using power diodes.

Memory is hazy but i think we used something like "IN4004" or thereabouts; put them inline

with the +ve powerlead from battery to RX, each diode drops the voltage by 0.7V.

Worth trying if your servo proves overpowered & you're handy with soldering.

Yeah, I would do that Willy, but I can't risk frying another servo. There probably is another BEC unit out there. What about this?:

http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0001...RCM7204&P=7

Jeez, I can't wait to run this thing.

Yeah, I would do that Willy, but I can't risk frying another servo. There probably is another BEC unit out there. What about this?:

http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0001...RCM7204&P=7

Jeez, I can't wait to run this thing.

So no word on whether or not this part will help me? http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0001...RCM7204&P=7

I would like to buy a separate and inexpensive BEC unti to run my hotshot rather than getting a whole new esc. Will buy another esc if absolutely nec. though