4wdmt

I Guess This Is The One, About The Tamiya Ad.

These Truggy's seem to certainly have a following,but I must admit that it wouldnt be new ground i would want to conquer.

From my buggy experience it certainly looks the part,competition wise.

But it seems to look like one of those "I am fast and big..look at me!" type model with little in the way of attraction other than that.

Maybe my taste has moved on from competition oriented machines where the sole aim is performance over style or substance.

Im not knocking any of these machines,its just they seem abit generic and souless even.

Take a look at Tamiya's touring models and compare them to a competition equivalent,the Tamiya LOOKS like a real car,the comp version drives like a Scalextric in the hands of a pro.the point being is Tamiya make the best models,competition stuff tends to look like competition stuff,why would Tamiya follow into a market flooded with basicly indistinguishable models and then produce a model that simply blends into that same faceless crowd?? I must be getting old! :D

Take a look at Tamiya's touring models and compare them to a competition equivalent,the Tamiya LOOKS like a real car,the comp version drives like a Scalextric in the hands of a pro.the point being is Tamiya make the best models,competition stuff tends to look like competition stuff,why would Tamiya follow into a market flooded with basicly indistinguishable models and then produce a model that simply blends into that same faceless crowd?? I must be getting old! :D

I don't know if you've noticed, but Tamiya doesn't make ANY "competition" touring car bodies. They are ALL just licensed scale replicas. And the only time Tamiya bodies are ever used in real competition is because the rules require them (ie. TCS). All forms of auto racing requires generic looking bodies, simply because everyone must use the one that performs the best to remain competitive. For bodies, all you can do is try to improve upon the previous winning design in hopes out perform it...

I really like the idea of Tamiya coming in to Truggy racing. I really wanna see what is under the body.

take your point 94eg!,i mean to say that Tamiya make great life like models that run,other makes do racing stuff.Tamiya is a Tamiya due to the detail.it seems to always have been.Its just that proper racing stuff seems to always be a million miles away from its full size equiv.

dont Tamiya make a B4? shell that is devoid of any detail to aid its aero capabilities(its even excluded from Tamiya's own series).

The point i was trying to make is ,why try to emulate others when you have a great brand already?

i hope tamiya doesn't follow into the crowd of 'racing' products too deeply. a good showing by the TRF crowd is always nice, but i just don't want to see tamiya try to compete with brands like losi and associated at all costs. that would mean sacrificing the long term goals of mr tamiya himself in order to be on the podium today.

how many other brands have a fan base that demonstrates an interest for the line as a whole? where are the vintage collectors? the customizers? the NIB collectors? i do believe that people love their losi's, or whatever, but my guess is that's because they win. and next year it might be xray, or schumacher, or whoever. i'm not knocking that, or those people either, because winning is cool and we all love it. i just don't want tamiya to go that way at the expense of what i see as their strength. and purpose built race machines are not it. IMHO. :D

simply because everyone must use the one that performs the best to remain competitive. For bodies, all you can do is try to improve upon the previous winning design in hopes out perform it...

All but us strange old school guys!

I remember my first competition was with a HPI RS4 Sport. Only upgrade was bearings.........But it had the Diablo body! :D

I still ended up winning the B main and advanced to finish 3rd in A main.

I never used the Startus body everyone else was back then and still did good.

I used a BMW Z3 Coupe, Panoz and many others.

There was one guy that raced with a Tamiya Audi body and did quite well too.

Sometimes when it comes to local tracks, it's the driver, not the car! ;)

FORGET the truggy!

Is the Pajero going to be rereleased????????????????????? ohmy.gif

i think tamiya king just made my point far more eloquently :D

Well said,Taliesin! Youre right,Tamiya has an element you just could not buy...brand loyality in its fan base.like you say,today you could win with an Xray...but next season it would seem you just wont win without an Associated...

Competition does indeed bring the big bucks to the flavour of the month brand so i guess it would be wise to encompass as many aspects of the hobby as poss..

I noticed recently that Traxxas have a stadium truck type electric monster racer called Slash(ooh err)..it struck me that the more i looked into it the more it looked like it could have been a Tamiya(apart from the jelly mould shell! :D ) due to its innovation and detail.Now i see a Tamiya that could easily be a Traxxas???? world ...gone...mad ;)

Tamiya King youve got a point there! i wonder what would happen if a top racer turned up with a 30th Anniversary Porsche rsr 934?

In terms of performance it has the bits,but would the thought of a "scale" shell make it seem un-win-able? ;)

edit....sorry 4wdmt,im going off at a tangent here! :D

Cheers 4wdmt! :lol:

I guess that the trf801xt is a natural progression from 1/10 buggies,as the technology in terms of batteries and motors really need something more substanial to harness the power and speed avail today.(EDIT)and of course nitro!

As Taliesin said before,TRF models that can cut it with rest is great,here's hoping some trademark Tamiya genius is hiding under that business like bodyshell! :P

pikachoo75,

i like 'jelly mould' better than 'business like' as a description. :lol:

i certainly don't doubt there is some genius under the "shell". those tamiya engineers are top notch.

It's always good to see Tamiya releasing new stuff, definately looks like the what was hiding behind the 'Breaking new ground' ads, this certainly looks interesting but not something I would spend the $$$ I am guessing it will retail for. I have my eye on the Pajero :lol: !

I like it! Taliesin,there is an untapped market right there!.........actual jellies made in a lexan shell! finished with cream trims and wheels etc! a wibbly wobbly stadium truggy that you can EAT! :P

Pagedm-f350,I too feel i wouldnt buy one but im sure it will be a hit with its target audience! I dont know about "breaking new ground",but im pretty sure it will "break new bones" if that thing caught you in the leg at full tilt! :lol:

As for the Pajero...well that looks good enough to eat all ready!

EDIT...it must be past my bedtime....im talking about jelly cars and broken legs....eating a Pajero etc... :lol:

....actual jellies made in a lexan shell! finished with cream trims and wheels etc! a wibbly wobbly stadium truggy that you can EAT! :lol:

HAHAHAH :P You just gave me an awesome idea for my sons 8th birthday coming up soon. He wants an NIB so I will get him one, use the body to make the jelly cake, rinse, repack and wrap it up!, HAHAHAH awesome..... :lol::lol:

Pagedm_f350,im sure that would go down a treat! :lol: edit...post a pic of your cake when its done,what kind of kit is your son getting?...in cake terms a beetle m04l would be best! :P

i never thought i would READ a post like my last one ,let alone WRITE it!!!! :lol:

Best news in a long time. If there's parts support it will go a long way to make Tamiya more popular around these parts. Great HALO product for the offroad range.

I think this is a good move. It doesn't interest me as I don't have the time, space or energy for nitro 1:8, but any new competition model is a good thing. If it puts Tamiya back in the competition spotlight and helps shift some of the "toy" image that newcomers to the hobby have, then it can't be bad, right?

I don't think there's a risk that Tamiya will forget their roots and cut back development on scale models in favour of competition machines. The 30th Anniversary Porsche, the re-releases and the CR-01 are proof that Tamiya still have their roots firmly in their focus.

Perhaps the success of the 801X will boost sales for Tamiya, which in turn will mean more cash into the company as a whole, and therefore more possibility to indulge in new scale off-roaders, scale buggies, hi-spec electric trucks etc...

I'm also hopeful Tamiya might follow in the footsteps of Traxxas for a change and release a really good electric truck. Back in the day Tamiya had a host of fast, hi-tec electric trucks; now they have almost nothing...

I just realized this is a beefed up Nitrage!

I may have to get this after all.....as I love my Nitrage!

DSC01415.jpg

a_524.jpg

I has nothing to do with the Nitrage, it was designed 100% new and in the USA.