monster_beetle

Cleaning An Old 3 Speed Gearbox

I have an old blazing blazer gearbox here, and I have disassembled the gearbox. But I'm a bit hopeless with the cleaning of it as I do not manage to remove that ***** waterproof sealant. Does somebody know how to do that?

Use hobby knift the remove most of it first. Then use paint thinner to clean it out completely. ;)

Drop the lot in Diesel or petrol for a few days, it takes the old grease away, cleans the metal and soften the old silicone.

Jerome

Paint thinner/Mineral spirits will clean the grease out and make the silicone sealant swell up. then I use a wood stick to knock it off the transmission housing. the wood won't scrape the metal like a Hobby knife will

It peeled off for me. Cut a cross section and you should be able to peel it around. If it's stubborn there stuff like Print Kote Solvent/Silicone eater fro your local hardware/electronics store.

I agree with Shodog. I soak mine in kerosine and the silicone swells up and is much easier to remove with a blunt end of wood stock or lately I have been using a cheap plastic putty knife. Don't use anything metal to scrape. It will scratch the case. The kerosine dissolves the grease and a toothbrush or similiar brush gets the tough stuff.

Keith

I have an old blazing blazer gearbox here, and I have disassembled the gearbox. But I'm a bit hopeless with the cleaning of it as I do not manage to remove that ***** waterproof sealant. Does somebody know how to do that?

it should clean up like this with those methods B)

post-6741-1209811221.jpg

well, I think I'm going to try these methods. I have time enought this weekend, so we will see B) Thanks guys

A 2-3 hour soak in acetic acid will remove silicone with no mess and very cheap

Vinegar to the layman

A 2-3 hour soak in acetic acid will remove silicone with no mess and very cheap

Vinegar to the layman

If I only knew about the vinegar technique 3 years ago. :D I am not about to take the tranny out again, but is nice to know how silicone can be removed without going to a roller with beads technique. :D

acid may pit the metal or do funny things to bronze bushes & gears :)

solvents won't touch the metal and dissolve old oil dried up at the bottoms the best