Sign in to follow this  
Blacque Jacque

Quick Question: Ps Paint - How Long Between Coats ?

Weather here today is mid 20's, warm, a little humid (but not horrendous) overcast, but no rain (so far).

Spraying brand new Tamiya PS6, how long do I leave it before re coating ?

The shell in questionis sitting outside, has plenty of airflow round it, but is right side up, just in case it rains :)

Weather here today is mid 20's, warm, a little humid (but not horrendous) overcast, but no rain (so far).

Spraying brand new Tamiya PS6, how long do I leave it before re coating ?

The shell in questionis sitting outside, has plenty of airflow round it, but is right side up, just in case it rains :)

Out of interest what shell are you doing? :D

I dont no why i asked.I just wanted to know :D I have only sprayed 1 lexan shell(thundershot) and i waited about 20mins between each coat,the shell came out perfect :)

i spray very very light coats, never going over same area more than twice per coat... each coat takes 5 secs for whole shell

then wave shell around a bit for about 2 mins... then respray... repeat a few times until the colour is enough

Leave it for 15-20mins then continue with different can.

Usually best to leave 2hrs before ripping up masking areas, or longer if able.

Shot this in a rush on Saturday...

DSC_7182.jpg

trans light blue quite thickly

light mist of trans silver

black

unmasked stripes & sides

champagne anodised

unmasked window frames

black

unmasked lights & windows

smoke done 'misty' 3 layers

Nice looking Porky there Willy.

I shot the final black onto the Pantera earlier today, gonna give the masking another hour or two before I peel it, just to be on the safe side. It's not quite as warm today, but less humid so hopefully it should dry nicely.

I used up 2 whole cans of PS6 to get the colour nice & solid, then a single heavy'ish coat of black to back it. It's far from perfect, but acceptable. The Pantera shell has a couple of awkward, almost internal faces making it difficult to get enough coverage without huge runs & they have a very slight greeny tint where the black still shows through, although it kinda gives it a more 3d look.

The HPI shell only comes with basic window masks so I cut up a couple of the alternate "chrome" stickers & used them as masks for the rear rubber bumpers & front running light clusters. Pics soon.

whoa you emptied 2 cans of PS6??

you'd only need about 3-4 coats max (=half a can) then back it with white to make it opaque

I always back yellow with silver or white before I put the black on. Keeps the yellow colour on the right side cleaner. Yellow is a poor covering colour at the best of times, but it does make a car real easy to see.

whoa you emptied 2 cans of PS6??

Just about, I admit I had used a small squirt from one can as a tester, side by side with PS19 (far too orangey for what I wanted)

As Mark said, the yellow just doesn't seem to cover so it had 6-7 good coats to get it opaque & even, it was still visibly blotchy after 5 coats :o

Both yellow and red are usually the worst covering colours. It takes many layers to get a solid colour that's not translucent. Both of these benefit from a backing spray of silver, grey or white before you spray other colours behind them.

- James

I use a hair dryer and do lots of thin coats, dried immediately with a hair dryer on hot setting a fair distance away - lots of fast evaporating solvents - makes you nice and high :-D

OMG. I ruined my anniv porsche shell... When I washed the shell, some soap mustve been left behind. I applied many thin coats after coats, took time drying and baked in the sun. When I peeled the masking off, whole lot of paint ripped off with it. Ugh. I have to remask the windows and try to salvage this shell tomorrow. Can I use plastic paint and just touch up the shell with brush? or does tamiya make polycarb paint in jars?

Can I use plastic paint and just touch up the shell with brush? or does tamiya make polycarb paint in jars?

Spray some paint into a small jar or film container until you have enough liquid in the bottom. You can then apply it with a brush. Test some on a piece of scrap lexan first to see what sort of result you are going to get.

there is no PC bottle in the special 934 green :lol: so milking the rattlecan is the only way to colour match

... or film container

i cannot remember when was the last time i used a roll of 35mm :unsure: but still have about a dozen rolls in the drawer